Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I await buzzbombs advice with eagerness .

It should be interesting bearing in mind the way the carp's metabolism grounds to a halt in cold water ?

I would usually advocate location as being a neccessity during the winter but in the uk , if the lake is under ice it would be a case of "ice stops play" :)

I recall some guys in New England doing it years ago with some success but can't recall the details. I don't think it would be nearly as much fun as catching them in the open water and there are fish safety concerns about landing them. Even with the hole my 12" auger makes trying to get a big carp out of the ice without damaging it could be risky. We don't catch them as incidental fish when we're perch and walleye fishing so I guess the water is too cold here.

I recall some guys in New England doing it years ago with some success but can't recall the details. I don't think it would be nearly as much fun as catching them in the open water and there are fish safety concerns about landing them. Even with the hole my 12" auger makes trying to get a big carp out of the ice without damaging it could be risky. We don't catch them as incidental fish when we're perch and walleye fishing so I guess the water is too cold here.

That would have been my total guess too

Lol , so why is that.Never heard someone who stood for anti cruelty for carp.

Seriously, what's the mind/heart mentality when your fishing for rough fish and the what not to do ' for a cruel free release?

I'm asking because I don't know, not trying to have a pillow fight or anything lol

When I ask, I'm talking about Ice fishing.Sounds like you have some experience with ice fishing carp. Why would it be crual? What happens when a carp is pulled out of the ice then released, explode? Lol

Jeremy , i think you'll find its just the cyberman's weird sense of humour mate .

Not to be taken seriously . If you look through this forum you'll find nearly every thread full of it .

And not just cyborx :) :) :)

Seriously, what's the mind/heart mentality when your fishing for rough fish and the what not to do ' for a cruel free release?

I'm asking because I don't know, not trying to have a pillow fight or anything lol

ALL serious carpers stand for anti cruelty for carp

we all treat our target fish with  the RESPECT it deserves as much as we can, and while not trying to start a pillow fight but if that's not where you are at with the sport then you are going to really p i s s off the natives.

i personally would have a hard time NOT being physical with any one i saw abusing the carp in any way.........er lol. :wink:

Edited by cyborx

Jeremy , i think you'll find its just the cyberman's weird sense of humour mate .

Not to be taken seriously . If you look through this forum you'll find nearly every thread full of it .

And not just cyborx :) :smile: :)

NM sorry mate but i was deadly serious, guess that's what i get for straying into foreign territory eh?

Oh well guess i was wrong :wink:

In the uk , Carp care is THE single most important consideration amongst serious Carp fishermen .

From trying to feed bait and food that is nutritous for the fish ( to assist in the Carp growing on healthily ) , to looking after the fish during/after the capture , treating any wounds with antiseptic kits specifically designed for the job .

Also making sure that items of line and terminal tackle are SAFE in the event of a line breakage so there is no chance of the fish becoming tethered to a snag etc.

Padded unhooking mats/cradles to place the fish after capture.

All stuff like this ...Carp in the uk get treated better than WE treat each other and usually , anybody caught doing otherwise would result in a lot worse than a pillow fight.

Sorry if this sounds patronising because im sure you are already aware of this stuff , and im not sure what you said to make cyberman believe otherwise but just thought i'd clear this up just in case ......

Finally , being from england i'm not familiar with ice fishing so i do not know how this form of fishing could be construed as cruel ?

I await enlightenment :wink:

Finally , being from england i'm not familiar with ice fishing so i do not know how this form of fishing could be construed as cruel ?

I await enlightenment :wink:

i have seen ice fishing NM, admittedly not in America but i should think the results are the same for the fish :(

Thanks.Seen many carp laying on top of the ice a couple yrs ago , right next to drilled holes.Hope to get it figured out so I can at least pull on out next winter.Would be cool to Ice fish a carp.

paints a pretty picture don't it :evil:

i apologize if i get you wrong Jeremy but as far as i am aware ice fishing is mostly done for food, carp are a very bony fish and not really a nice eat (unless you are a certain type of eastern European) and like our Aussie friends i am led to believe that most Americans view carp as  vermin to be eradicated in any way (with the exception of Buzz and Co :wink: )

whereas i like all carpers in the UK see the beauty of the fish and the serenity that can be gained by just sitting watching them, and we also revere the target for its apparent intelligence (hard hat on).

THAT was the reason for my reaction, again if i am wrong i apologize....... but if not :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

One problem I forsee with trying to get them out of the hole is just gettng ahold of it. I've never caught one through the ice so this is part conjecture. With a pike or walleye you can hoist them out by the gill plate but on a carp about 10 lbs or over you could rip their face off. The gill plate isn't as strong. That's why we have to use a weigh sling or weigh them in the net. Any other concerns like freezing in really bad weather or damage from dropping them before firing them back are the same for all species.

All pillows aside,Just catch and release for me.I believe most are still swimming in the river and some with a #4 hook either in there fin or mouth lol.

i do apologize most sincerely for my aberrant behavior toward you earlier, it appears i was wrong in my interpretation of your post :oops: :oops: :oops:

guess i should stay on my own side of the pond eh,, :wink: :wink: