Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
newmarket

You'll need to see it to believe it !

Just had a lovely common just a teeny bit over 22lb .

Put up a good struggle and it felt a lot bigger for a while .

Glad it wasnt cos i could only get a photo of it in the cradle , would have been gutted if it had been a PB :)

I'll post the poor pic i did get in the catch reports in the morning .

Edited by newmarket

Morning Tim , anymore ?

Thanks lads , john , i had another run at about 4.30 , again , i struck into nothing .

Its really hot here now and i'm considering tying up a couple of zigs but its approaching " bite time " now and its forecast to cloud over later on so im umming & arrring at the moment tbh ....

I've always had problems taking " trophy " photos . Luckily whenever i've caught anything worth photographing there has been someone about to help me out but last night there wasnt so , as you know from the catch reports , i snapped the fish in the cradle straight after unhooking it .

Thanks to the advice offered by a couple of forum members , that problem has now been solved :wink:

I had another take about half hour ago on my right hand rod and this was the result , thanks lads !

446d6ae25134b3df921015e544cc6dad.jpg

:) :) :)

Pb ghostie mate ?

Have you tried the say cheese app ?

Thats the one phil .

I'm getting loads of bites but i'm striking into naff all all the time , apart from the last one which i felt come off just after first contact .

I offered someone advice on this very problem the other week ....

Do you reckon i can remember my own advice lol ?

Yeah mate this morning i lengthened and about an hour ago i shortened right up trying it the other way .

Theres about an inch or two of weed on the bottom on this side of the lake so i've tied up another rig , longer this time and more supple, using a Gamakatsu 204 hook this time and made up an oily stick mix to protect the hookpoint because the pva nuggets dont appear to be doing the job.

I'm gonna give it half hour and change it round .

It'll break my heart but if i have to , then i'll switch over to Carpmachine's beloved bolt rig later on .

Just one bite on the Chod rod so far . One bite one fish so thats another option i spose :wink:

Bit of stupid advice Tim , but worth a try, cut a boilie in half put it directly on the hook with the point exposed, hate to say this mate, Bream.

It aint that stupid matey .

No snotties in 'ere :)

At least i've never seen or heard of any :)

Edited by newmarket

It aint that stupid matey .

No snotties in 'ere :)

At least i've never seen or heard of any :)

Firstly CM , my apologies , a young lad has been catching skimmers in a lily pad swim , and after having an investigative chat with the bailiff , it turns out there are a few , albeit not many , large bream too although they are secretive in their whereabouts .

Secondly , another little common , this time around 10lb just fell to my xxx popped up choddy .

Went off and looked like a torpedo :)

Great thread Tim, it's good reading up dates in n your session (you suggested this a while back?)

For trophy shots I just put my phone onto video and then take stills from it. Most smart phones can do this

Great thread Tim, it's good reading up dates in n your session (you suggested this a while back?)

For trophy shots I just put my phone onto video and then take stills from it. Most smart phones can do this

Hi Neal yeh lol , i know Andy updates his sessions so just thought i'd try something similar .

Thanks for the tip re the video .

Just winding down now all gear packed away apart from rods etc hoping to be here till 3 ish but weekenders turning up now with their noise so just hopeful rather than confident .

Having said that , lunchtime has been known to be bite time over here .

Will pick the session to peices tonight or tomorrow :)

Still chewing over last weeks session and what went wrong really .

Dont get me wrong , i managed to catch 3 lovely commons one of which was over 20lb so in that respect i was well pleased .

I fish 2 rods and always always fish bog standard running leads but on this occasion i was forced to fish in a relatively unfamiliar swim on the oppisite side of the lake that i usually fish .

I was fortunate that on this occasion i had the oppurtunity to have a walk round first , usually she just drops me off and scarpers asap .

There were fish showing EVERYWHERE which is unusual , my two favourite areas ( holding my secret bloodworm beds ) were occupied so i set up in a swim dead opposite them .

I knew that there was a new brisk south westerly due during the first night and since there were already fish about i took a gamble and hoped the bigger ones would follow the new wind and find my XXX :)

Now as i say , not overfamiliar with this swim and a quick lead about revealed 2/3 inches of stringy mossy algae type weed , the sort of stuff that clings to your line in little balls/clumps that blocks up your rod tip eye on retreival. Im sure you know what i mean ....

Therefore a Choddy , rightly or wrongly , went out to a likely looking spot on the left rod . This was placed in a spot hoping to intercept any patrolling carp moving between a bay to my left and the open water .

The second rod went out into open water , a running lead with a balanced ( i hoped ) hookbait . Hooklink threaded through a pva stick ( cc moore weedbeater mix ) hookpoint inside the stick and two pva nuggets round the shank hoping it rests nicely on top of the green gunge .

The first 24 hrs was crazy crazy . Had screamer after screamer on the right hand rod , only connecting with the fish once ( tiny common ) the rest of the time striking into nothing .

I tried everything . Lengthening and shortening the hooklink and hair . Changing hooklink materials , size of baits the lot .

I'm just as bemused now as i was then , its just never happened to me before .

While this was going on i had 2 bites = 2 fish on the Choddy ???

If i could go back in time i would have changed the other rod to a chod but i didnt .

No , what i did was something i never do . Because i wanted to try something different to MY norm , i changed to a semi-fixed rig , lead clip , tight lines the lot !

For the next few hours i experienced a series of single bleeps but no propr takes .

I hate this cos i know exactly what is happening at the business end and its one of the reasons i changed over to running leads a long time ago .

Im no longer one to sit on my hands and wait for the screamer . Spent too many nights with a tangled useless hooklink for that .

I WAS being done good and proper so i changed over to a stiffer fluorocarbon hooklink which although i still got the occasional single bleep , on inspection i was satisfied that the rig was resetting itself and the tangles were no more .

The last few hours were pretty uneventful with not much else to report really , its just that i get such little opportunity to go fishing these days that i tend to disect the session in my mind over & over when i get home and i still am now .

I usually say that i learn something every session whether i catch or not but i dont think i can say that this time .

I havent been as bemused as this since i first started hunting the big scaley ones .

Anyone got any thoughts ?

I don't know Tim , I think you learnt the chod works well in that spot :wink:

Yeah your right phil but its just so easy to be a one trick pony by slinging out a choddy and i suppose i was trying to be a smart alec and out think the crafty burgers :)

Something else i should of tried is swap the rods over and see how many the chod would have taken on the other spot but its easy in retrospect isnt it eh :)