You'll need to see it to believe it !

newmarket

Think that is it, getting everything as light and sensitive as possible, and being able to react to those tweaks

So that'll be CM's backleads suggestion blown out of the water then :)

Bream . I never thought i would ever have that problem dammit !

Everytime someone came on here moaning about Bream i would always say "a fish is a fish why complain ?" How embarrassing!

Mind you its just the not knowing it was there thats upset me .

I dont suppose fishing slackish lines has helped me there :(

I thought that , in keeping with the early part of the thread , i'd add a couple of photos of where i was fishing again , nothing special and for no other reason than because i can :)

Theres a couple of Dawn ( whoever she is :wink:) a couple of sunset time thereabouts , all mixed up of course , and one at the end because i like the effect where the mist is rising off the water ...

Didnt think they came out too badly really considering they were taken on my mobile phone :)

522a0b4e3ff847e843aabedc94338515.jpg38499c465e4d53faa47164b5df4637b3.jpg6e8731d42924b44b9cd5d7752274f7b0.jpg4f6ffe9ade69439a2cb2066f396a9a36.jpg99ab054df34a0e63d386cb9e3e85e7bd.jpgfa6de1c0f96bfd3a45cbcdd29754afd7.jpgba4617cf6f9c8d2f19fb52c218fb3b72.jpg

What's the obsession with delks? I've got prologic vtsw,they can feel a fish f a r t at 100 paces!!

Its all snobbery imo mate .

All reviews , everything you read , any homework you put in , all points to the fact that Delkims ARE the best alarms .

Why , i cant understand , they indicate differently to most alarms by all account and i accept all of that .

But what i cant understand , as you quite rightly point out Philip , is the constant obsession with them . Its as if some Delk owners ( please note fellas i said SOME ) feel the need to boast that they have THE most expensive gear available and as we know , you can catch fish on cheap starter set ups .

When i started out i had 2 2xl Leeda buzzers , cheapo baitrunners £20 the pair , 3 x 2.5 tc mickey mouse Carp rods £28 , argos rod pod £12 etc and it caught me hundreds of fish and i still use it as back up in emergencies .

Yes i'd love to own a set of Delkims , Centurys , Basia's , Sod Pod etc one day ( and good luck to the fellas who DO own this stuff , they have worked hard to pay for it and yes i AM jealous :wink:) but Carp can & do get caught on cheaper tackle .

All reviews , everything you read , any homework you put in , all points to the fact that Delkims ARE the best alarms .

Why , i cant understand , they indicate differently to most alarms by all account and i accept all of that .

But what i cant understand , as you quite rightly point out Philip , is the constant obsession with them . Its as if some Delk owners ( please note fellas i said SOME ) feel the need to boast that they have THE most expensive gear available and as we know , you can catch fish on cheap starter set ups .

When i started out i had 2 2xl Leeda buzzers , cheapo baitrunners £20 the pair , 3 x 2.5 tc mickey mouse Carp rods £28 , argos rod pod £12 etc and it caught me hundreds of fish and i still use it as back up in emergencies .

Yes i'd love to own a set of Delkims , Centurys , Basia's , Sod Pod etc one day ( and good luck to the fellas who DO own this stuff , they have worked hard to pay for it and yes i AM jealous :wink:) but Carp can & do get caught on cheaper tackle .

yeah I get that, I was chatting to a guy Saturday about diem wearing delkim boys, if my bobbin moves and my alarm detects it im happy, was funny when I looked at his gear,he had 3 delks and diem bivvy trainers and jacket,yet he was saying he didn't agree with spending obscene money! Ha ha.

Yes they are cracking alarms though......

Tim everything i have said reference delkims has been in jest due to your competition prize of lessons with CM.

All alarms do the same thing pretty much. Never compared any against any others so how could I judge if they're better than any others.

Take my comments on them as the light hearted banter they were intended as.

Tim everything i have said reference delkims has been in jest due to your competition prize of lessons with CM.

All alarms do the same thing pretty much. Never compared any against any others so how could I judge if they're better than any others.

Take my comments on them as the light hearted banter they were intended as.

I know mate and it has never occured to me that it may have been intended in any other way ( by ANYBODY) .

In fact , reading my post again it reads a bit bitter and twisted and for that i apologise. :wink:

That wasnt the intention at all but i still stand by my opening comment re the snobbery .

Carp fishing is full of it in one way or another and rightly or wrongly i dont think anybody can deny that .

I know I would defend Delks to the death, as I would Century rods, and in my case it is down to gear that has not let me down and company loyalty. If it works, and I need to update, then I try to chose the same manufacturer. If another manufacturer did the same or better system then I would be thinking about them, but as I personally found the Delks vibration sensing the best, that is what I stick with.

In terms of bivvies, I have no axe to grind, Fox, Nash, JRC of whoever comes up with the system that suits me I will use.

I had problems with Nash tackle in the past, as a result I avoided them for a while, until the Hooligun landing nets hit the market, when price and function showed them to be the best in their price bracket.

• 3 weeks later...

The other lake on the complex i fish , the REALLY weedy one , the one i was considering targetting next year , is on fire at the moment .

3 x 30's been out in the last few days , biggest yesterday at 36.5lbs .

Its very tempting for my session next week ....

But the damned weed ? :(

The other lake on the complex i fish , the REALLY weedy one , the one i was considering targetting next year , is on fire at the moment .

3 x 30's been out in the last few days , biggest yesterday at 36.5lbs .

Its very tempting for my session next week ....

But the damned weed ? :(

Just do it Tim, you will never know if you don't try.

Get on there, treat it as a bit of a recky. The weed should be thinning out now. One thing's for sure, you won't catch them if you're not there. New moon on Thursday, air pressure nominal, south westerlies, bit of rain, temps between 11 and 16 degrees and some lovely lumps for prizes.

The more i think about it the more tempting it is .

One things for certain , and i've been visiting since i was very young .

10 foot deep ten foot of weed everywhere from surface to lakebed , and no matter how cold it gets ....

This weed doesnt thin out :)

There are a couple of mitigating factors that will ultimately decide which lake i fish next week but im 90% sure i'll be having a little go on the weedy lake .

After having had a good read up on some old weed threads , and i'm pretty sure i know how i'm going to tackle it but i have compiled a few questions that you fellas may be able to advise me on .

I will be fishing very light running lead set ups almost certainley inside solid PVA bags INTO the weed .

I havent time to mess about trying to find clear spots for this session , i'll be trying to suss the lake out during the winter when i wont be expecting to catch anyway :)

Question 1.

I WILL be using this set up regardless but what is everyone elses opinions ?

Question 2.

Hooklength ; intention is to use braid to a basic kk but how long a hooklength does everybody recommend ?

If i was using the devil's lead clips i'd be using a 12-18" hooklength but with a running lead set up does it matter ?

Question 3.

How should i be setting up my rods ?

Due to the nature of the swims i'll probably be using a pod ( dont like em really ).

And as i mentioned in my last post , this weed is more like trees than weed . It grows upwards from lake bed to surface in most places .

Should i be pointing the rods downward and laying my ( slackish )line on top of the weed or fish beachcaster style ?

What are your thoughts peoples ? I really have got a mental problem (:)) with this weed business though .

I already know where there are a few gravel patches but everyone seems to fish these and my thinking is the Carp will probably feed more confidently IN the weed .

Anyway over to you lot .:)

Personally wouldn't be using running leads if the lakes as weedy as you describe , and you know how much I like running leads Tim . The last thing you need is the fish taking off and leaving your lead behind in situations like that , could end up giving you a big head ache with a secondary angle to the fish . And before you can do anything about it the fish has properly weeded you up .

If you get there a day or two before your session just for a look round with a leading rod. If it's a big lake, Ive spiked a few sessions this season by leading about in the weed on a very tricky water. But I didn't havr too much of a choice at the time, and it did pay off as I caught by ambushing fish in a area I would have ignored had I not had a lead/ plumb about. If you can't get down there , then I would make a decision depending on how many nights I was doing. If it was 24hrs, just try get on fish, keep your swim As quiet as possible and be very observant . If you have a bit of knowledge of any clear spots or where fish have been caught, this could at least be a stating point.

My approach would be to find clear spots, or at least count a lead down as far to the bottom as possible. Depending on how clear it is would determine what type a rig I would use. If very clear stiff rig, if not a long braided hooklink . Pva bags are a great method for casting into certain types of thickish weed. But it's a lottery, I like dealing with definites and as long as I know my rigs are fishing, conclusions can be drawn.

I can't really help you more than that without having any more knowledge of the water, other than to take a note pad and write down any findings for future reference. I always carry one as it's easy to forget something relying on your memory alone. By doing this, it a definitely put me more fish on the bank.

Personally wouldn't be using running leads if the lakes as weedy as you describe , and you know how much I like running leads Tim . The last thing you need is the fish taking off and leaving your lead behind in situations like that , could end up giving you a big head ache with a secondary angle to the fish . And before you can do anything about it the fish has properly weeded you up .

Phil , i know what your saying mate . I just do not trust the indication using those bloody lead clips , i've had too many bad experiences with 'em .

What has given me the confidence to stick with the running leads is a post made by Keith ( moorsey ) in an okd weed thread in the hot topics section .

If i can find it i'll post a link to it .

Also , i intend using an Enterprise snag safe clip ( run ring ) which should ensure , in that weed , that the lead is dumped .

I dont believe all that old tripe i read about dumping the lead generally but i feel that i should be trying to due to the heavy dense thick weed , i think its canadian and is almost like a tree rather than a weed :)

As for the Gravel Phil , the 2 " patches " i'm referring to are both about the size of a football penalty area and im not kidding when i say that EVERYBODY spods the granny out of it with 10-20k of boilies or particle and then sit on it for a week .

The swims are rarely available but if they were i'd think twice about fishing there as i couldnt be sure how much old bait i was casting into ?

Would that work to my advantage ? Or would the swim be stone dead ? I've seen it happen on the lake next door , 20k of maize and the swim didnt produce a bite for a fortnight ....