Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
sharpy86

A days fishing with Matt Hayes

As you all know, I was given a days fishing (one to one) with Matt Hayes for my birthday.

Well, I stayed over in a hotel so i didnt have to get up and travel 150 miles in the morning. Got to the lake about 8.50 and got out the car. First thing i heard was 'Is that really Matt Hayes! I was watching you on TV last night'

Funny enough, it was actually him!

Anyway, i was taken by him and the lake manger to the lake. The first two swims were pre-baited and no fishing was allowed other than for this week with Matt. 2 Thirtys had been sneaked out late last week by someone who shouldnt have been there during the night. Anyway, i was given the oportunity to fish this lake (Day ticket) or a lake further away which is only allowed to be fished by the Lodge owners (And many of those don't fish it) so it sees very little preasure, but it contains a lot of fish.

I chose to fish the second lake, Get a few fish under my belt and then try the day ticket to try and get a bigger one later on.

So arrived to the first lake and we got a couple of rods out. One on a method feeder, consisting of Halibut groundbait, two different sized pellets, maize and broken boilies. The other rod on a boilie and a small pva bag. Matt catapulted a bit of ground bait out, and literally 10seconds later two ghost carp were circling on the top of the water taking the pellets as they fell through the water. About an hour later after a couple of twitches on the method rod, it screamed off and i landed my first (guess what??) ghost carp!! The pva rod in the margins took off next and i landed a slightly bigger ghosty.

Then nothing happened. No twitches or anything. So Matt had a walk around the lake to see if he could get them feeding on the surface. He got one taking a couple, the the gulls came in and spooked off everything in the area anyway. Later he tried around the other end of the lake and i could see lips coming up all over the place!! So in comes the static rods, and out comes Matts floater rod. The fished (About 5 or 6) seemed nervous, mouthing the freebies. They soon floated further out and the fish seemed a lot more settled, taking the baits straight away. But they still wouldnt take the hook bait (A shaped popup on a 4' mono hair rig with a controller - TFG surface missile). We changed to a slightly shorter hook length and a expander biscuit on the hair. After a couple of fish almost taking the hook bait, i hooked into one, and landed my first ever surface caught carp!! The fish spooked at first, but came back. On one chuck, the fish took the hook bait within 10 seconds of it landing!! I landed 5 carp off the top on a light rod and small reel. Absolutly great fun on the light tackle, seeing them take the biscuits was great! So with 7 fish under my belt - about 3 o'clock now, i decided we would go to the first lake to try and get something a bit bigger.

To keep things a little shorter, i only caught a tench within the first 10mins, then nothing for the rest of the day. Matt was really helpful, always on the look out for fish, watchin the water, walking around the lake. Baiting likely spots, but to no avail.

I think i learnt a lot during the day, and it was an experiance on its own to fish with him (although he didnt fish!). He was an absolute top guy, and certainly knows his stuff about every sort of fish you can think of! Was only supposed to fish 10 hours, yet he stayed for over 12! I was a bit worried that when i met him, my expectations would be better than the real thing. But this was certainly not the case.

Pictures:

My first Ghost carp

11310155891.jpg

Another Ghost caught off the bottom

11310160273.jpg

My first surface caught monster :wink:

11310160234.jpg

Another off the top

11310160355.jpg

A pretty one also off the top

11310160317.jpg

It was reserved for us to fish...!

11310160478.jpg

Me and Matt Hayes after a great day out

11310161916.jpg

wtg mate. Well chuffed you had a nice time.

You even managed to get him to take his sunglasses off for a pic. That has to be worth a 20lb'er :wink::lol:

haha...That was the only time he did take them off. They were on for the whole day!

Guest Anonymous
11310161916.jpg

:roll:

You can't kid a kidder...

The hat

The glasses

The nose

The smile

The left arm position

That's you & ya Dad :lol:

Nice 1 sharpy, a day to remember!

if you dont mind me asking..do you no how your mates or family got you it?

If you go on the www.totalfishinggear.co.uk website and click the link fishing with matt hayes you can order it from there.

They soon floated further out and the fish seemed a lot more settled, taking the baits straight away. But they still wouldnt take the hook bait (A shaped popup on a 4' mono hair rig with a controller - TFG surface missile). We changed to a slightly shorter hook length and a expander biscuit on the hair.

Sounds like a cracking day - how did you rig up the TFG surface controller as i have just bought 2 of them - inline or otherwise??

Day to remember Sharpy. Really pleased you had a great day..........now you have to think what you want for your next landmark birthday which in your case in 19 years away, unfortunatley for me just less than 2 :lol:

They soon floated further out and the fish seemed a lot more settled, taking the baits straight away. But they still wouldnt take the hook bait (A shaped popup on a 4' mono hair rig with a controller - TFG surface missile). We changed to a slightly shorter hook length and a expander biscuit on the hair.

Sounds like a cracking day - how did you rig up the TFG surface controller as i have just bought 2 of them - inline or otherwise??

The main line was threaded through the middle with a swivle on the end to which the hook link was attached. The missile was held in place with a float stop positioned above it. The hook was actually tied on using a knotless knot with a hair rig.