Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
stamfordchris

New set ups to start carping?

Right, I used to float fish for coarse fishing about 10 years ago and now I have decided to start again, however my knowledge has slipped and times have changed in terms of tackle.

I want to preliminary carp fish. As well as some coarse for tench and bream so I'm going to buy 2 set ups 2 carp rods and reels with 2.75lb test curve.

What I mainly want to know is: what lb mainline is ideal for each reel I was thinking 12lb for the tench and 18-20lb for carp.? But, what if the tench rod accidently hooks a carp? Shall I just use both rods with carp mainline and hooks?

Also, I've looked at rigs such as the chod, zig rig and method feeder rig, people use different hook links like fluorocarbon, braid or lead core. Some people even have braided mainline? This is all new to me what is an ideal set up for let's say- method feeder rig for tench, and chod rig for carp?

Hello mate

Unless you are going to float fish fir the tench , which incidentally i believe to be THE best method :) , then your set ups wont differ an awful lot .

You'll catch both species whether you like it or not .

Unless you are fishing snaggy waters 10-12lb mainline will suffice upping to 15lb when nexcessary .

My local lake is notorious for carp in the 20lb region. What I'm not used to is a product called leadcore it's like 45lb strength. When would this be used?

I'm thinking of a basic set up- mainline with some anti tangle tubing on, quick change swivel with lead, braided hook link but would you go for a size 8 or 6 for medium size carp? Also going to try those PVA bags as they're new to me too haha

Chris mate you're trying to do too much at once and tying yourself up in knots.

Simplify it.  You can easily put together a setup for both tench and carp.  It might not be suitable for mega snaggy, long range, 40lb monsters or for catching 6oz roach on the drop, but it will allow you to do everything in the middle.

Look at getting yourself an avon type rod or more commonly known thesedays as a barbel rod.  Somthing with a 1.5lb -1.75lb test curve.  Pair it up up with a 4000/5000 size reel.  With this simple combo you can land any carp that swims quite frankly and catch tench etc on feeders/floats. 

You need to slow it down and think.  You dont need leadcore at all........in fact for someone inexperienced, its damned dangerous.  Dont try to emuate the magazines and korda vids.  They only exist to sell tackle.

Edited by phils_wicked

My local lake is notorious for carp in the 20lb region. What I'm not used to is a product called leadcore it's like 45lb strength. When would this be used?

I'm thinking of a basic set up- mainline with some anti tangle tubing on, quick change swivel with lead, braided hook link but would you go for a size 8 or 6 for medium size carp? Also going to try those PVA bags as they're new to me too haha

heya, seems to me you have been gathering EVERYTHING you can about the art of carp fishing (good and bad)

if you want to ssip off the locals, ask for advice on how to set up a chod rig with leadcore,

if you think back to your days of course fishing, how many times did you land a fish that far exceeded the given strength of your line? that rule still aplies.

you can land a 20lb carp on 8lb mono (if you are careful lol)

your bottom rig should be one that reflects the bottom you are fishing on, there are plenty of topics on here about the strengths and weaknesses of the myriad rigs that can be tied.

the best all round rig IMO is 12lb line to #8 swivel, thread mainline thru inline lead add soft bead as a buffer then tie on swivel. you can make hook link from same line and connect with loop to swivel or with a clip and tubing, cheap as chips and IF your on the fish, almost guaranteed to catch.

add to that basic rig with a bed of g/bait thrown cattied or spodded out, or even a pva baggie on your hook and smile :lol:

you may also find that you only need to swap around your hook link and bait to go for carp or tench.

oh btw

images_zps061d1d64.jpg

You need to slow it down and think.  You dont need leadcore at all........in fact for someone inexperienced, its damned dangerous.  Dont try to emuate the magazines and korda vids.  They only exist to sell tackle.

in fact for a lot of people that think they are well experienced, its still damn dangerous :evil: :evil: :evil:

So for an all round mono designed to hold a feeder or lead, PVA bags and hooking tench, bream and carp, shall we say 12lb maybe 15lb max? And... NO LEADCORE! lol

by god i think he's got it :lol:

if you incorporate one of these little beasties in place of the swivel you can instantly change your style of fishing from lead to feeder and back.

31G26qaLaXL_zps89c5bc75.jpg

I've really forgotten so much over the years. Phil, budget is whatever as I'm looking to gradually build up a tackle box of various items and I have a good job so compared to my childhood I can now actually afford better kit! Let's say £50-100for now to buy line, hooks, swivels, bait etc. my rod and reel and hook mat etc is on a separate budget so let's not worry about that

Korum allrounder 1.5lb tc. £45 each

Daiwa Black Widows 4500 size ££45-50 each

10lb bulk spood of Daiwa sensor

Alarms can be had for £20 each thesedays, Fox Warriors, Nash Sirens Wychwoods etc All good

Bobbins, you can go for anything! I like Gardner Bugs

Bits n bobs can be picked up as and when, but with those rods and reels you can target all sorts of "mid range" fish.

Hooks, Drennan Specimen Barbless sizes 10 to 8

Hooklengths.  I would just grab some 6 - 8lb mono.  MatchTeam is brilliant.

Feeders and weights from 1/2oz to 1.5oz?

ummmm......

Forceps

Disgorgers

Shot

Floats

Edited by phils_wicked

I live in Stamford lincs. I have a son hes too young only 6 but im going to teach him. Ive got 2 mates who are going to come along but might not take it as seriously as i do. Also my brothers tempted to start float fishing but id have to teach him from scratch

Jay comes from up that part of the world :wink:

Dont forget your unhooking mat & Carp care kit ?

Oh and your camou :)

Edited by newmarket

Cyborx what are those called? How to they work I'm guessing it's like a snap link or quick change swivel idea?

method connectors by drennon, you slide the sleeve to one end and hook on your line then slide to other end and repeat. have put them under 20lb and they held up well. the test i did was to anchor one end to my analogue scales by 12lb bs mono and the other to a luggage ratchet strap and a post then ratcheted away till the line gave, at 20lb so good test of line and knots too lol.

http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/store/drennan-method-feeder-connectors?gclid=Cj0KEQjwsJyfBRC729Oy5Pf26ekBEiQAYtd9QavTQQpJoFeHUYHNaM8hj4FLx4mOODmMvj22mkPyeUUaArbd8P8HAQ

oh and leave the cammo in the shop where it belongs FFS.

Edited by cyborx

Awesome I'll have a look at those. Finally... What's people's favourite most reliable knot? Apart from the knot less knot. I remember I used to use the tucked half blood knot for every single thing I did but now I'm hearing about paloma or grinner knot being the favs?

Chris...palamor knot is my favourite and supposedly gives 100% of line strength when tied properly. Check the Kryston site for information on knots both how to tie and knots for various materials.

I did see you mentioned popup corn on a method feeder. Unsure why? Why would you want your hook bait floating above the feeder rather than in/ next to it? A piece of corn certainly but not popup with a method feeder.

Androoo ignore that, I think it was something I saw one time. Like the method spills out everywhere and when a tench comes to Hoover it all up it's already floating so is 1 of the first to get taken. I'm trying to rush my method of attach without getting enough research first but I'm sure when I start fishing again (hopefully next Sunday) it will all come back to me. My old rigs and tactics etc