Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
dannyash

An unhappy end to the session.

Hello everyone, you may have seen my last post about my recent session on my club water, went down again today, other than a savage drop back/liner i had nothing, when reeling my middle rod in at the end of the session i realised i had a fish on, i netted it and then realised it had died, absolutely gutted, no indication what so ever, I'm guessing its taken the bait ( which was a 15mm boilie ) and hadn't been able to register an indication back to my rod. i unhooked it and weighed it out of curiosity and it was a perfect 2lb roach, felt quiet upset looking down at such a cracking fish that has lost its life in this way. Also i must point out lads anyone out fishing keep an eye out for falling branches/Trees, i was about halfway through my session when i heard what sounded like thunder, upon walking back to the car i saw a huge chunk of a branch about a foot thick with maybe a 20 foot span of smaller branches and leaves, so just bear this in mind, cheers. Dan

It probably drowned. I wouldn't have thought that there was too much room for breathing left in the mouth of a roach after eating a 15mm boilie.

That would have been my take on it as well .

Fine specimen too . Sad .

We can take all care and caution but we can't always account for greedy fish, as hard as we may try.

Chin back up, Danny. 2lb roach and 15mm baits just don't mix. And some things really are beyond our control, mate.

Ian

We can take all care and caution but we can't always account for greedy fish, as hard as we may try.

Chin back up, Danny. 2lb roach and 15mm baits just don't mix. And some things really are beyond our control, mate.

Ian

Guess your right mate, its never happened before, i just can't help but feel a little bit down about it.  Better pick my head up and get ready for sunday, iv been doing a bit of digging online and it looks like its a pretty hard water, due to the low stocking so I'm pretty pleased iv managed 2 takes, just need to bank one of them now. Dan

Glad you shared this.I didn't realize how barbaric I been on catch and release until I came to this site.I sit here regretting all the fish I could of handled better that didn't make it.Now, when I'm out chasing carp, it's a whole different approch .In my neck of the woods Im probely a saint to carp.Anywhere else , well..

The fact that it even crossed your mind of the welfare of the carp species takes a different kind of fisherman.I know I've said this before but It's something very needed in this sport.

Glad you shared this.I didn't realize how barbaric I been on catch and release until I came to this site.I sit here regretting all the fish I could of handled better that didn't make it.Now, when I'm out chasing carp, it's a whole different approch .In my neck of the woods Im probely a saint to carp.Anywhere else , well..

The fact that it even crossed your mind of the welfare of the carp species takes a different kind of fisherman.I know I've said this before but It's something very needed in this sport.

Cracking post Jeremy . Takes a big man to make an admission like that .

I formerly charge you with the task of converting America :)

Makes me wonder what that fish was thinking! I've had 10 lb carp suck up a boilie the size of a golf ball but this looks almost impossible. The margin of error in what pike perceive is plus or minus 50% (so a 2' fish may seem anywhere from 1 - 3 feet long) explaining why they attack things they can't swallow; is there any data like that for carp or these rudd things ?

I once tried 18mm baits to combat the roach/rudd.

Thought i'd cracked it until i wound in the next morning. :|

RSCN0116.jpg

Double 30mm's from now on :mrgreen:

Buzz I'm not sure it got the boilie in its mouth. I think they often get pre-occupied trying to whittle away the boilie pecking at it that they just pick up the hook.

I had one last week on a 16mm wrapped in paste. It had just sucked in the hook and impaled itself. It still gave me indication using light leads and I've had the same with small perch fishing worms on running leads giving me indication.