Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
jontain

Snagged up

That in itself kinda sums up the nanny state we are in. Anyone, reading anything, is or should be responsible for their own actions there after. Folks need to take responsibility for themselves and the things they do, whether that is casting out a baited hook or swimming out to free a snagged fish.

Phil...I hate the Nanny state. It's why I added the word "choice" everyone should be responsible for their own actions and have a freedom to choose what to do.

I also think that includes being responsible in what one posts. The audience is varied and will range from young to old, novice to pro.

My number one responsibility when I go is returning safely not just for me but as I feel I have a responsibility to my partner Rachel and my family to return from my fishing trips.

I've been fortunate not to have been snagged by a fish. But if I did find myself in that situation I wouldn't act in haste. If I'd exhausted all my options and it came down to swimming out with no-one else present on the lake or pulling for a break. I'd pick the latter rather than risk my life for a carp that may or may not still be attached to the hook.

All good food for thought guys, thanks for the replies. I will continue to take my mate fishing but if he does not adopt the right attitude soon then I will leave him to his own devices and return to fishing solo. Would be a shame but I suppose you can't force folk to do the 'right' thing.

Having a little rubber dingy as a backup would be a good plan, would have to see how the fisheries would feel about the use of one though.

Thanks for the tips!

must be careful if wading also as the bottom of the lake i fish is like quick sand by the pads :cry: you dont have to sink very much before you find it impossible to pull your leg out :cry:

Yeah , boating , if allowed , is the better and far safer option imo .

Waders wont save you if you get into trouble .

If your mate got snagged up in the said swim once he should have learned his lesson and be fishing locked up, sitting on the rods. If he did it twice then he clearly hasn't learned that lesson. If he continue to fish in the same way he clearly doesn't care enough regardless of what the solution is when it comes to freeing the fish. It sounds like he has to decide whether he enjoys carp fishing enough to do it sensibly. If not, stop it.

Either way, it's not your job to fix the problems he causes. At the same time you can't just stand by and watch if he refuses to get in and free the fish. You need to educate him in what is safe angling. If he fails to acknowledge your advice then you need to get him off the water in question.

If your mate got snagged up in the said swim once he should have learned his lesson and be fishing locked up, sitting on the rods. If he did it twice then he clearly hasn't learned that lesson. If he continue to fish in the same way he clearly doesn't care enough regardless of what the solution is when it comes to freeing the fish. It sounds like he has to decide whether he enjoys carp fishing enough to do it sensibly. If not, stop it.

Either way, it's not your job to fix the problems he causes. At the same time you can't just stand by and watch if he refuses to get in and free the fish. You need to educate him in what is safe angling. If he fails to acknowledge your advice then you need to get him off the water in question.

Yonny , you are 200% correct in everything you say but to be fair to young Jon , he appears to be doing all he can to educate this lad and has taken on board the advice/statements given on this forum.

At the end of the day if this fella continues to be a Dickhead and fish irresponsibly then it isnt Jon's responsibility .

He can but try...

*blushes* ahh shucks guys! :P

Anyway needless to say I will keep pushing the point of fish care with him, although I really struggle to have any empathy with folk who angle but show no care or interest in their quarry. If he carries on ignoring the advice that I take the time out of my own fishing to give him then he can take himself fishing to be fair, I have enough to focus on and learn myself without the frustration of an unwilling pupil! Although if he does buck up and start taking on what I say with a bit more tact and even looking into learning for himself then I will give him the benefit of the doubt and keep up my assistance.

Again thanks for the replies all, there is a lot more to consider with this than I first thought!

Phil...I hate the Nanny state. It's why I added the word "choice" everyone should be responsible for their own actions and have a freedom to choose what to do.

I also think that includes being responsible in what one posts. The audience is varied and will range from young to old, novice to pro.

My number one responsibility when I go is returning safely not just for me but as I feel I have a responsibility to my partner Rachel and my family to return from my fishing trips.

I've been fortunate not to have been snagged by a fish. But if I did find myself in that situation I wouldn't act in haste. If I'd exhausted all my options and it came down to swimming out with no-one else present on the lake or pulling for a break. I'd pick the latter rather than risk my life for a carp that may or may not still be attached to the hook.

I have been in numerous times for fish that have weeded or snagged me up, and even then after losing the fish, I have made attempts to get the tackle free from the snag. At Nazeing, a fish managed to get into some branches to my right. The bailiff was walking around, and even with the no swimming or wading rule was glad to see me make attempts so that the fish wasn't tethered up.

If there was nobody present, I may not go in, as I do like life and living, but I would much rather that I did NOT leave any fish tethered, no matter what species. I may fall out of trees occasionally, but it would prefer that than leave tackle snagged or cast up it.

CM would tend to agree with you. However I feel that as the Op has given the context as to what is making him ask the question that his actual question is being ignored or maybe I'm misreading it?

From reading the Ops post he is asking for advice on how to deal with a snagged fish in case it happens to him (not his friend) in future, especially if it happens in deep water that he can't wade to. As I said in one of my posts even if an angler avoids the obvious snags there are always ones you can end up in inadvertently. There are often hidden tree stumps or branches, discarded shopping trolleys etc.

I know people giving ideas on how to deal with such a situation would benefit me if it should happen.

As for his friend i agree he should learn how to play and control a fish. I don't think he's snag fishing but getting pulled into them by the fish. One of the best things I find is assessing the swim for risks and having an idea what I'll do depending on where the fish goes. I don't know how the fish is making the snags, it may just be inexperience in position and not being able to respond quick enough or not giving the fish enough pressure. Tightening up, walking backwards or dropping the tip under the water all may help his friend control the fish better but as you say it's probably better learnt elsewhere, where the risks are fewer.

Edited by androoooo

Any fishery owner, knowing he has a problematic water should have a recovery boat available, as for wading, once again very risky, silt can be deep and like quicksand. I know I will get some stick for this next bit, one rod, 3.5 test curve, small hooks, definitely barbless, 20 pound braid, fished locked up and hit the slightest movement with tight lines only. Never take your eyes off the tip , and pull the fish away instantly, you will pull 50 percent of the hooks out but at least nothing gets tethered.

It would work CM but the culprit in this particular thread cares more about keeping his feet dry than the fish he is allegedly hunting so how would he comprehend what you just posted :)

To be fair the lake is suppose to be quite an easy runs water and is the same lake that I started on, but then maybe I picked things up and researched the subject alot more! Its a runs water that is run by a local farmer (who doesnt seem overly interested in fish care himself if I am honest and is always shocked at the lengths I go to care for them, must just be a side project/earner for him). As such I doubt he would be interested in banning my pal, especially when I have seen some REALLY REALLY bad fish care from match anglers up there (im talking droping a 7-8lb carp from waist hight into the top of a keep net that is sitting in about a foot to half a foot of water), unfortunately it is a place where you get all types and a few of the fish do have some bad battle scars to show for it. Although this just makes me want to care for them all the more.

In terms finding an easier water, as I have said this is one of the clearest waters in his area. The next nearest lake is a lot worse with virtually no swims without overhanging trees etc. For the next outing with him though I might just go a bit further afield as I know of one lake that has virtually no trees (or wind cover for that matter!) which he should really struggle to find a snag in, it is not so much of a runs water so might be about time to teach him about patience!