idiots guide to clipping up for casting plz?

hiya

been back to fishing for about 2 years, and still cant get me head around getting the distance right,

by clipping up on the reel, never used to have a problem years ago when i could see better and

pretty much get where i wanted to.

i tried it the other day, just leaded out no rig got me length clipped up, put on rig cast out, and hit the spot,

unclip and fishing.

but had to go through that again after a take,

doing it wrong or on right track i got no idea lol

thx

rob

lil bit of electrical tape or a powergum stop knot tied at your range will make it much easier.  As soon as you hear/feel it through your rod rings.........ur on the money!

but the tape can and does move, you could easily be a couple of feet of your bait this way. dont get me wrong i used to swear by this method but since comparing it with the stick method you would be amazed how much the tape will move during casting and the playing of fish

hiya

been back to fishing for about 2 years, and still cant get me head around getting the distance right,

by clipping up on the reel, never used to have a problem years ago when i could see better and

pretty much get where i wanted to.

i tried it the other day, just leaded out no rig got me length clipped up, put on rig cast out, and hit the spot,

unclip and fishing.

but had to go through that again after a take,

doing it wrong or on right track i got no idea lol

thx

rob

Once you've clipped up, have 2 bank sticks a rod length apart (12'). Put your lead by one and wind the line between the 2 untill you hit the clip ( don't forget to count how many times you go around the sticks) once you get a take you know the distance to your spot.

Then just put lead by one again and wrap around sticks untill you get to where you was in first place ( ie after cast it's 15 wraps/turns you clip so count 15 again around sticks and then clip up again)

lil bit of electrical tape or a powergum stop knot tied at your range will make it much easier.  As soon as you hear/feel it through your rod rings.........ur on the money!

Clipping up; I am a piece of tape or power gum man after I have got the distance sorted, but as mentioned, it does slip down the line after a few casts or fish.

Not usually a problem as I will often every day stick out the marker float on my spot to check it, and know that doing that DIDN'T put fish off on Brackens at Nazeing. (Ask Newmarket about that, and he will likely tell you the lake was not an easy).

If I don't want or think that using the marker could put fish off, then a clear section of bank is what I often do, a mark at either end of my casting distance, and clip to it after walking the line out, or as said the bankstick method. While the bankstick method works, I do prefer to walk it out as I can then easily remove twist, check the line as I reel down to the end tackle, which as you are concentrating on gettting line free of banksticks is not quite so easy with that method :wink:

i have a rock peg with a luminous painted top that i set out at my distance pushed in off the path so no one trips over it,

my set up sounds like this,, set up my bivvy, replacing the two front outside corner pegs with short banksticks with butt clips in both.

i rest my rod in these (the second eye sits behind a clip) then walk out my rig to the rock peg, back to the rod and clip up. takes seconds even in the dark :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Me the same as cyberman, have even used a solar garden light.

Joking aside, that's a very good idea. Especially if them colour changing ones were used.

If used at a social your swim could be the light show.....and you could watch people falling into the stingers without sharing their pain.

Ian

Joking aside, that's a very good idea. Especially if them colour changing ones were used.

If used at a social your swim could be the light show.....and you could watch people falling into the stingers without sharing their pain.

Ian

me? im in at the next social AND im bringing my lights :lol: :lol:

just picture my bivvy with Christmas tree lights round the door, just like santa's grotto :wink:

Edited by cyborx

Here are , ave a butchers at this .

FANtastic :)

com/topic/17651-finished-my-camo-wrap/?fromsearch=1

Apologies if you see this Gary , i know its a brolly and NOT an STI :wink:

Damned links b uggered i'll have another go

In a mo :)

Edited by newmarket