Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nealjt

fishing with noddy

I'd said I'd follow Newmarkets "live" thread so here goes..

Am fishing weybread carp fishery in Suffolk, lovely lake, about 3 acres tops.

Biggest carp is 31lb, two thirds of the fish were stocked two years ago at about 5-10lb rest are older fish from about 15lb.

Two rods, one about 3ft from the bank on my left, method feeder with short hook length with a live system pop-up. Other rod about 30ish yards in open water, where bubbles are coming up regularly, combi rig with my own sooperduper bait.

Have been set up for about an hour and there is mud swirling near my method rod and I'm getting twitches... Woo hoo!

Cyborx - My tinterweb isn't good enough to post pics so will put them up later. Probably loads of scenic shots!!

Newmarket - have to be offsite by 9 :( the lake is right next to the owners house so understandable really.

While the coffee is cooking I'll explain my fafin....

I'm in a swim on the houseside of the lake, facing the main body of the lake, there is an island at the back with a small area of water each side and behind it.

From my side about 30ish yards out there is always bubbles coming up through out the day, but I'm told fish are rarely caught there. I'm confident the bubbles are feeding fish as you can see them moving along the bottom.. it's about 8ft deep (my measurements so could be anything up to 10ft!!) Been plumbing about and there is a definite line of slit that changes to a rougher gravelly bottom up to the margin. I'm fishing about 2ft ish into the silt with a scattering of boilies and about half a kilo of groundbait. There is always carp crusing the top in this area, but they are very shy.. so I hope to draw them down, my gbait, is a bit of everything, but has lots of floaty bits so hoping it may work.

It may sound silly to fish where I'm told they are tough to hook, but I know they are there and want to sus it out!!

Rig for here is now combi rig, amnesia to dacron about a foot long, with size 8 hook. Running lead with a boom of about 3 inches.

Margin rod is now, method but with bottom bait....

Cyborx - My tinterweb isn't good enough to post pics so will put them up later. Probably loads of scenic shots!!

Newmarket - have to be offsite by 9 :( the lake is right next to the owners house so understandable really.

While the coffee is cooking I'll explain my fafin....

I'm in a swim on the houseside of the lake, facing the main body of the lake, there is an island at the back with a small area of water each side and behind it.

From my side about 30ish yards out there is always bubbles coming up through out the day, but I'm told fish are rarely caught there. I'm confident the bubbles are feeding fish as you can see them moving along the bottom.. it's about 8ft deep (my measurements so could be anything up to 10ft!!) Been plumbing about and there is a definite line of slit that changes to a rougher gravelly bottom up to the margin. I'm fishing about 2ft ish into the silt with a scattering of boilies and about half a kilo of groundbait. There is always carp crusing the top in this area, but they are very shy.. so I hope to draw them down, my gbait, is a bit of everything, but has lots of floaty bits so hoping it may work.

It may sound silly to fish where I'm told they are tough to hook, but I know they are there and want to sus it out!!

Rig for here is now combi rig, amnesia to dacron about a foot long, with size 8 hook. Running lead with a boom of about 3 inches.

Margin rod is now, method but with bottom bait....

Sounds like a bit of a challenge :)

Any ideas how deep the silt is ?

Just a thought but if the fish really get their noses into it grubbing around for some nosh then are you confident that the pop ip isnt wafting about above their heads snd sticking out like a really obvious sticky out thing ? :)

Just a thought to confuse you some more :wink:

Love connundrums like this it really gets the old grey matter working .

No sure on depth of silt, am using a dark bottom bait with a small yelpow pop up, more for sight than buoyancy....

Confidence.... No! Never until I catch!!!! Argh! If the silt one is going to go it'll be later in the day me a thinks, as recently as it gets to about 6 the carp seem to move away from the top.

Not sure on depth of silt as didn't want to mess about to much with plumbing etc... (And I'm not very good at it!) But the 2oz lead would stick in quite well....

Keep getting little knocks on my method rod, there are some decent roach in here and think it's them but am happy as I tend to think the small ones will get the carp interested.....

Running leads, pretty much always running... Home now no carp, boo rubbish! Odd day though, there were two other anglers who had nothing, no liners, anything. Even the owner said it was quiet....

So a blank is always a lesson, what did I learn? That fishing the same swim two weeks apart can be like fishing two different lakes! I need to work on my feature finding, the lesson I never learn is to move swims when I think I should!!! All in all was a nice day and the pike was a bonus, will post pics shortly

Fishing a day only session must be difficult Neal , knowing when or if to move , when or if to ring the changes .

I was fishing the session with you through much of the day , trying to think what i would do in your situation and the truth of the matter is that you didnt have enough time to fit it all in :)

Im glad that when i do get to fish , im fishing for 2 days and 2 nights .

Yes mate , knowing the lake / lakebed a lot better than you do now would save you lots of time and make your decision making easier every time you go fishing .

I dont know how often you get to go fishing but if its quite regular then it would be worth while forsaking a couple of sessions and spend em feature finding instead .

I wish i could say im preaching what i practice but i cant :wink:

What i can say is that we learn something from every session even if , as in my case , it takes a while to realise exactly what :)