Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nealjt

fishing with noddy

Sorry Newmarket I feel asleep! Loads of willows, the carp love the margins here! It's funny but not many get caught from under those on the island, popular swims there but most fish to the other side, I think. If your interested I'll put my rig pics up. Anyway, I'm back there on the 21st, so will be trying again soon!

In an odd way I like a day session as it's a mission, for some reason the lake does normaly fish very well in the day, it's the only place I've fished where I don't feel like I'm missing out if I'm not night fishing.

Bobcross - I love the place, I'd reccomend you give it a go, the owner Adam is a good bloke, you need to book a place to fish so it never gets rammed, it depends what you are after, it can't be called a big fish venue, but most of the fish are in mint condition, there is good sport to be had with the stockies, they are mostly single figure fish but they scrap like mad, and there is a good chance of a 15lb plus. I'm looking forward to fishing it in the winter!

Sorry for multiple post, got bored waiting for it to load!!!

gallery_90554_26_857454.jpg

Flat method Feeder, 15lb or 25lb solar contour multi rig stylie, Erm think it's a size 8 Korum Xpert Specimen Hook (£1.29 for 10!) Hair made from my krystonite main line (worst line ever!!!!)

Contour as it's heavy so happy it won't loop up if the method is moved about by fish.

Stiff hair to keep the space from the hook.

Sorry for multiple post, got bored waiting for it to load!!!

gallery_90554_26_857454.jpg

Flat method Feeder, 15lb or 25lb solar contour multi rig stylie, Erm think it's a size 8 Korum Xpert Specimen Hook (£1.29 for 10!) Hair made from my krystonite main line (worst line ever!!!!)

Contour as it's heavy so happy it won't loop up if the method is moved about by fish.

Stiff hair to keep the space from the hook.

Do you want to know what i think ?

Im no expert , far from it as you know , and somebody intimated a couple of weeks ago that because i dont get to go out and fish very often i shouldnt be entitled to an opinion ( apologies if im mistaken but thats how it felt at the time ) .

If it was me i would welcome constructive criticism with open arms but i dont want to upset anyone .

I quite like this forum :wink:

gallery_90554_26_2467743.jpg

Combi rig, for silt, clear amnesia to dacron (again cheep like a budgey) same hook as before, I pretty much always use running leads but normally just with the swivel straight on the line, for this is was trying to get my head around what was written in your helicopter rig thread about using a lead on a paternoster, but I work with pictures not words so this is what I ended up with. It was suggested by carpmachine or cyborx, will need to check, which one

Ok then mate i'll give you my take on method feeding first and take a look at the other one later when i have more time .

Firstly if it was ME i'd be using s mono hooklink , no more than 2.5 inches long with the hookbait buried in the feeder . I dont know if you do this ?

I would have a hookbait same as the method mix ie a pellet or maybe 2 bits of corn tight against the hookshank ( virtually no hair ) and pop ups are a no/no . You dont want a boilie floating 2 inches above the feeder :)

Apart from that it looks fine . I had trouble tying 2 inch hooklinks ( fat fingers ) so i bought the readymade Drennan method rigs , dirt cheap but wonderful things . :wink:

See ya later mate :)

Im no expert , far from it as you know , and somebody intimated a couple of weeks ago that because i dont get to go out and fish very often i shouldnt be entitled to an opinion ( apologies if im mistaken but thats how it felt at the time ) .

OUCH,, i think that would have been a bit harsh. i think personally that if you have fished and learned something then no matter how much time has lapsed since you used that knowledge it can still be useful to someone.

i gave my landlord my opinion on the state of his roof the other day, now does the fact that i closed my roofing company down 20 years ago mean that i dont know what i am talking about, or that my opinion is no longer valid???

Neal i apologize for digressing from the thread but that sort of comment, NO MATTER WHAT THE SOURCE really sessip me off :evil:

with regards to the method above (imo) it would benefit from having a short 2" hook link as proposed by NM, with hook bait buried in the ball of bait. i fish the method this way but with real corn popped with a fake corn. i make my method mix pretty stiff so that when the carp are nudging it to get bits off they free your hooker which pops up into their face and they then ****** it without inspecting and wham,,, works for me :wink:

oh wait,,, i aint been out fishing since the kids broke for the summer holls :cry: :cry:

censored word is s n a t c h?????

Edited by cyborx

Ok mate the combi rig looks ok to me though i would have the amnesia maybe a bit shorter and the suppler section a tiny bit longer but thats just me being a tart :)

I'm not sure you need the rig sleeve ? Would have thought the amnesia alone would be enough to kick the hook away from the lead to alleviate the possibility of tangles but tbh im not sure and i think we might both benefit from a few more opinions on this ?

Its your lead arrangement i find weird and possibly a bit over-complicated ?

Is this what you was trying to replicate ?

I know Nick posted it on a weed thread but i'm sure it'll work in silt ...

b0e87e4b45f98b1c6213079a03b2a21a.jpg

Looks pretty straightforward but i've never had the confidence to use it tbh .

I think you need to find out the depth of the silt ?

A strip of wool tied along your hooklength will show you the depth of the silt by taking on the colour of the silt .

I can use the running leads in most of the swims on my water because the silt is only very shallow but get deeper silt and your lead will be so plugged in it'll render it semi-fixed which will complicate matters .

My advice for silt and if your not sure ?

When in doubt , Chod Rig .

I wish i had changed my 2nd rod over to a choddy last week .

I can't really explain my thinking for not putting a bait in with the method ball, even though this is the point of it! Will try the correct way next time I use it, was wary of small baits, especially sweet corn as the lake has tiddler roach and then it jumps to some at about 2lbish (due to lake being netted a few years ago) I suppose I was aiming to use the silver's to churn up the swim because of the groundbait / method but to be confident my bait would be intact and fishing if/when the carp come along. Yesterday this definitely back fired, I was fishing a spot where I know the carp regularly feed, but there was no sign of them, just seemed like all the silver's and then the pike came in! Definitely has got me to re think that approach!!

Yup I love a Chod! Perfect NM, I couldn't find that picture , yes is what I was going for, my thoughts originally were tubing on the extended lead bit to hopefully stop tangles but I just think unless it's the exact length to match the silt it'll just sit awkwardly and probably raise the hook length of the lake bed, so have now scrapped that idea! The plastic part on the main line side of the swivel is an insert from an inline lead which when messing about at home it really seemed to give the line a lot of movement, there was hardly any resistance from the weight of the lead. When cast amazingly it didn't tangle at all and in an odd way felt good to use, so I think this is something I will play with.

Give me anything simple and I can make it really complicated!!

The owner of the lake only ever fishes one rod, float fished luncheon meat, he pretty much always catches and has had the lake record this way