Hair rig or bait floss ??

I pierce bottom baits holding 'em with bait stops usually .

Pop ups on the other hand i tend to D rig , holding em there with an Avid Bait screw .

Marvellous little things and although they screw into the pop up , they are air tight and never affect the buoyancy .

Prior to that i used to improvise by using the U section of a paper clip .

I've never used floss , my fingers just cant manage it its difficult enough for me with knots :)

Hair rig for bottom baits. But even for popups tied to a rig ring I pull floss through the pop up as I would with a hair. I've tested this in a bucket and they are still buoyant after 48 hours.

Ditto.  All the pop ups I've ever tested stay up for 48+ hours when pierced so I use this technique (tie floss to a ring and pull through bait).   Don't feel confident tying floss around the bait, never seems secure enough to me. 

Ben 

Pop ups on the other hand i tend to D rig , holding em there with an Avid Bait screw .

Marvellous little things and although they screw into the pop up , they are air tight and never affect the buoyancy .

excuse my ignorance Mr Newmarket but i was under the impression that pop ups utilized cork dust to effect buoyancy?

if this is the case then piercing will not affect the pop up at all, if not then please accept my humble apologies :confused:

I really have no idea mate tbh but the reason i mentioned that is because some anglers ( hi nick :wink:) never pierce their pop ups ever because they believe that it affects its bouyancy if it takes on water over a period of time and whenever i mention how good i find the Avid bait screws i always stress how the bouyancy is unaffected .

The physics goes whoosh ! Mate :wink:

What's the preference mine i prefer the credit illite bait floss allows and i now rarely mess about with stops

excuse my ignorance Mr Newmarket but i was under the impression that pop ups utilized cork dust to effect buoyancy?

if this is the case then piercing will not affect the pop up at all, if not then please accept my humble apologies :confused:

What's the preference mine i prefer the credit illite bait floss allows and i now rarely mess about with stops

I really have no idea mate tbh but the reason i mentioned that is because some anglers ( hi nick :wink:) never pierce their pop ups ever because they believe that it affects its bouyancy if it takes on water over a period of time and whenever i mention how good i find the Avid bait screws i always stress how the bouyancy is unaffected .

The physics goes whoosh ! Mate :wink:

Some pop-up baits are made with cork dust, and some with buoyant base mix ingredients, cork free. Since the ones I use are cork free, I don't pierce them as water ingress on most will eventually make them bottom baits (different rates for different mixes and manufacturers).

Something for you as well; pop-up often shrink smaller than original size after being immersed and then dried out, so for the method below, do check that the loop is tight if you don't change the hookbait between trips or if you reel in and leave the bait on for a while, especially in warm weather for a couple of hours.

As for whether I use a basic hair or dental floss to tie them on, BOTH.

My sliding ring rig, I use floss, mono or even whipping thread to tie them on, either as the top bait on a snowman or as a pop-up alone, same with a D rig, it's any of the floss or mono.

For a knotless knot hair continuation, snowman or pop-up, it is the hooklink material itself.

For both of those I tie a uni knot loop at the end of the material, put pop-up in loop , get hair length correct (for pop-up bait only, bait tight to shank or rig ring), and then either attach the knot knotless knot style, or attach material to rig ring.

The pop-up bait is the bait stop itself, with in the case of a snowman bait, the bottom bait underneath it on the hair as the loop, holds the pop-up tightly in place. By loosening the uni knot loop I can remove the bait, attach new one, put new pop-up in loop and tighten it down properly again. It is very rare for me to lose a hookbait that way.