Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
mitomaniac

Good way to get bait out without a spod...

Here goes. Going to a day ticket water this week with a mate I have just started fishing again so don't have a rod to use for spodding I want to bait an area up to fish over I was going to use a vitalin and particle mix with some chopped boilies among it.. Could I use a method feeder on a clipped up line to repeatedly cast over an area to put bait down effectively ?

Don't think I can catapult it that far either and a bit out of practice with catapult too.

It's a slightly silty lake no snags or weed around 4foot deep where I want to fish its between a gravel bar and a silt bed around 50 to 60 yards out off the point of a island went there the other day for a walk round and saw a nice amount of activity in the area I want to fish and it's away from where most the other carp anglers go by the looks of it.

Also got a nice line of reeds close in I will bait up and fish close too that's easily baited up tho

chuck a big method feeder out 5 or 6 times in quick succession, should do the job.

Exactly, or maybe 30 minutes or so blasting a swim feeder or bait dropper out to put bait in.

If is even possible to throw balls of groundbait out. You don't have to blast it to the horizon every time, so a standard catty will work.

Clip up, keep casting your fishing rod out with that swim feeder; it doesn't have to be a method feeder, ever seen an ordinary open ended groundbait or cage feeder?

That works as well.

Groundbait catapult will hit that distance though... Drennan red and green catapults rated for 30-50 or 60-80 metres from memory

You can learn loads just being nosey on here these guys will teach you alsorts cm, blanks an Ian an new market have solved every problem I've put up... A bunch of geezers the lot of ya thanks for being so generous there's loads of bailiffs an snide anglers that won't help you guys are worth your weight in boilies

Mito, groundbait balls put out with a castable pouch will go that distance easily on just a normal carp rod.

Or as suggested get (Or even better make, if you are on a tight budget) a small spod and use your fishing rods. As long as you stick to more of a lob than a full on punch cast you'll be fine for getting them that far unless using very light TC rods?

To make a really simple small spod, get a short bit of 30-50mm plastic pipe, (Find a friendly plumber, or the tubes that PVA mesh systems come in are even better) drill 2 holes at one end and attach a loop of line, same length as the spod, between them with a clip swivel on, plug the other end with something that floats, pet balls work rather well glued into the end but make sure the one you have floats first! Drill a few random holes if you want to but not essential.

That's it!

What Ben said you may need to consider that when your rig is clipped at the same distance to the mini spod/spomb it will land closer to you than your bait because the line will be tight making the bait arc slightly as it drops in the water. I've no idea how to work out the difference considering depth of water and bait spread though!!

it works better that way imo as your not fishing in the middle of the baited area but on the outside of it

You could try the method, but would it not be more beneficial to clip up 1 rod - remove the hook - and cast out several pva bags?

I did this on Nazeing regularly, in fact I often left the rig on, and cast out stringers, until I was happy there was enough bait in the area. It amounted for a lot of decent fish.

I was helped by a rule stipulating that bait was only allowed to be put in by PVA, others didn't put much bait in, so my baited area, covered in the remains of 30 30 bait stringers, often accounted for fish