Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
steve333

Frozen boilies

If i was going on a 48 hour session say from a friday evening & had got my bait out of the freezer in the morning,would you refreeze any unused bait if it had been kept in a cool bag during the session?

any leftover boilies are better put in the lake. don't re-freeze boilies, it can be harmful to the fish.

why?

same way as re-frozen food is bad for humans :wink:

It may be different, but do you take the risk?

If you refreeze chicken and fish after thawing it the Bacteria are actually enough not only to give you a serious Stomach Upset and food poisoning, but enough to KILL you.

We don't know enough about how Carp react to it to take that risk with them.

Boilies can be used still frozen as they go into the Lake, the water will thaw them out in minutes.

Just looked at some frozen boilie bags and at no point does it say anything

about refreezing being harmful to the fish . If ,( and i can not say it does

not) this practice could harm them,then surley this should be made clear by bait manufactuers .

Just looked at some frozen boilie bags and at no point does it say anything

about refreezing being harmful to the fish . If ,( and i can not say it does

not) this practice could harm them,then surley this should be made clear by bait manufactuers .

True, but then many Bait ingredients don't have a Shelf Life on them, and Ingredients kept for too long will Denature and go off.

Milk Proteins only have a Maximum Life of I would reckon 6months maximum, FishMeals/Oils go rancid as the Oil goes off, yet there is No "Use By" Date on the bag in many cases

Also why should the Bait Manufacturers put the Risks of re-freezing on the Bags, its pretty common sense that you wouldn't do it to your own food because you know the risks of what it can/will do.

Gents,

Comparing the freezing, defrosting and refreezing of carp bait with the freezing, defrosting and refreezing of human food is like comparing apples with pears.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with re-freezing and re-using fresh bait two, three, four or more times. Sometimes (as in the case of Ritchworth TF) it makes for a better bait.

Tight lines,

Hamish

(Scottish carp fight harder) :lol:

Gents,

Comparing the freezing, defrosting and refreezing of carp bait with the freezing, defrosting and refreezing of human food is like comparing apples with pears.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with re-freezing and re-using fresh bait two, three, four or more times. Sometimes (as in the case of Ritchworth TF) it makes for a better bait.

Tight lines,

Hamish

(Scottish carp fight harder) :lol:

Apples and Pears are both from the Rosaceae family, so virtually identical. :wink:

Thawed, and refrozen is not fresh and carrying on doing it creates serious Bacteria.

Since most people tend to thaw at room temperature you are exposing food to the "Danger Zone" 40F-140F These are the temperatures where bacteria thrive. The surfaces of the food will have bacteria Clostridium Perfringens which can make you very sick. It produces a toxin and although cooking will kill the bacteria it won't destroy the toxin.

Gents,

How ?

Clostridium Perfringens which can make you very sick.

Not argueing, but CP is naturally found in marine vegetation and sediment, so I find it highly unlikely that this would cause any harm to fish.

A grass carp for instance, which predominantly feeds on vegetation, and is stocked for that reason, would be non existant if this were the case.

imo :wink::lol:

Although your freezer may be filled with ice (especially if you never defrost it), the air in it is extremely dry. As a result, if unwrapped or poorly wrapped food is left there for some time, it'll undergo freezer burn. In freezer burn the ice crystals in the food evaporate without first melting (a process called sublimation), altering the taste of the dried-out parts when they're thawed and eaten and in extreme cases making them inedible.

Refreezing is bad for three reasons. First, by refreezing food you multiply the damage to it--any cells that escaped rupture the first time the food was frozen are at risk of being ruptured the second time. Second, when food has been frozen and thawed out, it has larger pockets of liquid within it than the first time due to the ruptured cells. When the food is refrozen, the larger pockets of liquid can freeze into much larger ice crystals, which can tear through many more cell membranes and lead to more damage to the food.

Food that has been thawed and refrozen several times will lose its nutritional value, texture and colour

Put it this way, I know whats bad for me, so I wouldn't give Thawed and refrozen stuff to Carp that I know would give me serious Gut rot.

My view on that is its better safe than sorry

Great debate.

I agree with johnplumb.

All this copy and paste from wikipedia is just missing the point. Stop comparing the handling of food for humans with the handling of food for carp.

Refreezing frozen boilies after a weekend session is sensible, normal and common practice. If you don't agree, don't do it.

Tight lines,

Hamish

(Haggis flavoured boilies will always catch more more carp than Mainline or Nutrabaits because they are made with the blood of real Scottish venison :lol: )

Great debate.

I agree with johnplumb.

All this copy and paste from wikipedia is just missing the point. Stop comparing the handling of food for humans with the handling of food for carp.

Refreezing frozen boilies after a weekend session is sensible, normal and common practice. If you don't agree, don't do it.

Tight lines,

Hamish

(Haggis flavoured boilies will always catch more more carp than Mainline or Nutrabaits because they are made with the blood of real Scottish venison :lol: )

Haven't used Wikipedia tonight :wink::lol:

I don't agree with taking home and refreezing. The thing I do agree with is making my Food Source Bait acceptable and available to Carp, so I don't take any Bait home with me, I put it in for the Carp to eat, or in this mornings case, The Ducks :evil:

Try Nutrabaits Game on Flavour, that will compete with Haggis :wink::lol:

Sorry, I'm having problems getting thoughts into words tonight, I was fishing last night and had no sleep, and then spent the day with my Father and supped a "couple" of Pints of the Black Irish Stuff.

salokcinnodrog, I'm jealous. A couple of pints of black gold is just what I need right now.

Maybe a Guinness flavoured boilie is what we need - high in protein and an interesting mix of colours :lol:

Each to their own. Personally, I don't mind reusing refrozen bait, as I don't believe it has a detrimental effect on carp. It may have a detrimental effect on the effectiveness of the bait, but that (like so many other aspects of angling for carp) is debatable.

Sláinte!

Hamish

salokcinnodrog, I'm jealous. A couple of pints of black gold is just what I need right now.

Maybe a Guinness flavoured boilie is what we need - high in protein and an interesting mix of colours :lol:

Each to their own. Personally, I don't mind reusing refrozen bait, as I don't believe it has a detrimental effect on carp. It may have a detrimental effect on the effectiveness of the bait, but that (like so many other aspects of angling for carp) is debatable.

Sláinte!

Hamish

I have tried mixing Colt 45 Lager in with Eggs and Base Mix, smells a bit malty! Can't think why I stopped doing it, probably the fact that I also liked that stuff and didn't want to waste it :?:oops:

If there weren't debatable points I'm sure we wouldn't come up with half the Ideas and opinions we have :wink: , if every opinion makes us think about something we do, then its a valid opinion and will create a debate.

Oh God, That Guinness is making me go round in circles :oops:

And there was me thinking I was a Reformed Alcoholic, but I got into the Alcoholics Unanimous meeting by mistake :lol:

Nick