Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
tolwfc

Any midland piker help out a interested beginner?

Hello,

Just wondering if any pike fisherman are planning on fishing anywhere next weekend, 15th or 16th November anywhere around the west midlands area?

I Have been a carp angler for a little under 2 years and am keen to broaden my horizons, I would like to try my hand at pike fishing but I don't want to catch them without knowing how to properly unhook them and maybe causing some damage. I have watched youtube videos but as you can expect im still not confident and would like some help on the bank by someone that knows what they are doing.

Im not an idiot, I wont be asking for someone else bait or tackle I will come fully prepared for a days fishing I'd just like some tips and instruction on how to unhook my first pike, im 26 so I wont be running up and down the bank or moaning if it happens that we blank that day.

Thanks Tom

i hope you get some response on here mate, nice to see someone askig for help with opike rather than risking it alone. you could also ghet in touch with your local PAC group who would be more than willing to help

Man, I'd love to do some pike fishing over winter but I too don't have the confidence or knowledge to handle the fish safely. There's probably loads of Internet info out there, doesn't beat hands on teaching though!

That's how I got into carp fishing, went into Malc Rooker's tackle shop to get some gear for pike fishing on the local canal, he talked me out of it due to me not having any pike fishing experience, he put me onto carp instead, fishing the lift method with corn in the evenings, nice bloke.

I started pike/zander fishing at a young age with no real experience apart from the ones caught accidently taking fish on the way in .

A long pair of forceps and common sense and your be fine .

using single hooks rather than trebles helps too or if you do use trebles use barbless.

My only experience of Pike was when a little jack leapt onto my lobworm when I was fishing Berwick Ponds as a child .

Scared the life out of me but only took about 2 minutes to finally work out why my dad had stuck an old pair of forceps in my tackle box :)

I do get the lack of confidence people may have catching pike or zander , but i've never caught one that's tried to bite you on the bank Lol .

They can flap about like any fish and occasionally you might catch a tooth but it's nothing to worry about .

I've not caught a zander, I've never had any trouble with pike, I've been lucky - all lip hooked - I just don't know how to handle them properly so I'd rather not go for them; cat fish are the same, if it swallowed the hook I wouldn't know what to do except cut the line, I've got forceps and would try that