Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
carpmachine

Thought for the day.

With the rain forecasted today, I'm wondering if its a good idea going to the river float fishing for a few hours. We've had some rain over the last 24 hours so the water will be flowing faster and will be more coloured. Worth a go? 

36 minutes ago, nigewoodcock said:

My thoughts this morning are along the lines of.....

the weather and conditions are bang on, the fish should be hanging themselves, why am I blanking!!!!!!!

they certainly don't follow any rule book in here! 

Much showing mate ?

53 minutes ago, jh92 said:

With the rain forecasted today, I'm wondering if its a good idea going to the river float fishing for a few hours. We've had some rain over the last 24 hours so the water will be flowing faster and will be more coloured. Worth a go? 

Morning fella .... if there's specimen fish present step the gear up a bit, big lump of meat & try your luck in the margin if the waters up .

I had a stretch on the Wye that I didn't see many if any other anglers on & the ones I did I knew.  Probably over a decade fishing there like that . My spot one the Wye champs one year & it changed over night . Still great fishing apparently as I have put a few onto the stretch since .

But it's just not the same for me now so stay away . 

6 hours ago, chillfactor said:

Morning fella .... if there's specimen fish present step the gear up a bit, big lump of meat & try your luck in the margin if the waters up .

Sorry bud I didn't see your post before leaving this morning. I've been told there's decent size chub and barbel on the stretch but haven't had any luck hooking a bigger one yet. I float fished over maggots and had small 6 small chub all under 8oz I would say, a gudgeon and a few minnows. I'm gonna pop back tomorrow and try fishing the bottom with small bags of pellet and meat to see if I can hook something bigger

4 hours ago, jh92 said:

Sorry bud I didn't see your post before leaving this morning. I've been told there's decent size chub and barbel on the stretch but haven't had any luck hooking a bigger one yet. I float fished over maggots and had small 6 small chub all under 8oz I would say, a gudgeon and a few minnows. I'm gonna pop back tomorrow and try fishing the bottom with small bags of pellet and meat to see if I can hook something bigger

Definitely worth a go then.... coloured water will always get the big barbel on a heavy feed . Don't be shy on bait size with meat , you won't believe the size I used in the past to tempt the specimens :shock:

21 hours ago, nigewoodcock said:

Few bubblers in the pads. I had two fish feeding in the margin down by the woods. By the time I got the rod and wound in the others, the rain and wind came and they did the off!!

Unlucky mate... Probably would have had a chance without the weather coming in .

Had a couple off that area now haven't you? Since first feeding it when I was on .

So, on my way to work last night, as usual the country road between Cogenhoe and Little  Houghton, very dark, no one about, passed a van with its doors open , Gypsies, just up the road on the opposite side a great pile of leylandi, big trees kicked out of the back of a truck to avoid a dumping charge, could have killed someone. Rang the police and was told to ring the local council, marvelous what the hell do i pay my taxs for, and why dont they prosecute this scum, i know where to find the vehicle, not interested.

Looks like the fish are on it tonight. Landed 2 and lost 2. One in the undercut island and the other bumped off when I lifted in to it. They are going barmy rolling. Clearly well on the feed. Whole lake to myself too.

just wish it wasn't pitch black and I could see where they are exactly. 

Strange that as I am on a pit less than 25 miles from you Vik and it's as quiet as the grave. 

Mind you there are depths here down to 25ft in quite a large proportion of the lake so I wonder if the temperature is a lot different?  That estate lake is surprisingly sheltered and warm.

Cheers 

Ian 

Must be. The water is still fairly warm. Saying that it's gone quiet now. Not heard a fish in a while. Nothing but two single sleeps on one rod. 

To be honest I should have played this differently. I know I've had bites tight to the island but the open water is full of fish. Got 5kg of pellet and crumb sitting there useless at the minute. It'll be prebait for next week I guess. Not found a spot. Just casting at showing fish. Should have found something out there and given it a good few kg for starters. 2 rods on it. One to the side to pick off fish on the edge. 

Going on my past references, it will change as the nights get colder, it switches dramatically after the first frosts, pretty close this morning, the October catch window from my journals 10 till 4 in the afternoon, at the minute the sun still has heat, far bank shallows, then switch to the field side of the island, in extreme temperature, which i have done, the run off in the shallows and the the oak close to the suicide swim, but pick the end wrong and you blank, see what you find.