Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Scouse John

Hopes Targets and dreams for your fishing in 2015.

Good question, was away from fishing for some time and haven't caught a 20lb fish since I was about 16 (now 30). So I'm treating my return to fishing as a blank slate, would like to catch my first 20lber is goal #1. Plus I have a little country park lake that I would like to catch any size fish from. That's goal #2.

Hey cm, you mentioned that place in another thread and I looked it up. That place looks great! Somewhere you went as a kid on holiday and always wanted to go back to? Or just you know it's a challenge and fancy it?

Ok totally get that. I hope it happens for you, sounds to me like with it being so close to you in terms of being able to do frequent recon and maybe some baiting you're in with a shout? I hope it happens for you!

"Galetians"? Meaning pedigree? In reference to a horse? (that's all I could find on the Internet)

Thanks for the edumacation! Fascinating! On the subject of pioneers, I've already admitted to be relatively young blood so I'm pretty ignorant about the generations of well known anglers before me (actually I don't necessarily pay too much attention to the current generation of 'stars' either) but, on the face of it, back then fish were the same biologically but they didn't have fish finders, spodding, pva, underwater cameras, and the list goes on, and they were still catching some big fish presumably. Arguably it was more difficult then without contemporary 'aids', and their watercraft had to be spot on?

I'm gonna spend the 1st few months of next year trying to catch a 4lb perch, then in april I'm off to Spain to try and catch a 150lb catfish, after that I will rejoin my club lake and try to catch a big mirror I've seen a couple of times which I've been told doesn't exist.

that sounds really good buddy, these big perch , Tim says there are a lot on his carp venues, sounds good to me, just looking for a good Rudd venue.

Most commercial carp fisheries hold decent sized Perch which nobody targets .

Obviously growing big by eating Carp baits i would imagine ....

Mufty's only a half hour drive from me and i can suggest a couple of venues not too far from me , one in Brentwood in paticular .

The Galetians were imported from Italy by a man called Donald Leny, in the 1930s, Redmire Pool , Billing and Dallington, and a few other estate lakes were stocked with these fish, I know of a record that was kept quite from Dallington in the 1950s, sadly all the big carp got frozen in the ice in 1963, saw a picture of what they buried, massive. They were slower growing than todays farm stock, but much faster than our original wildies, some reached well over 70 years old , hope that helps.

Not nit picking mate , and im sure you know anyway , those Leney fish , the Galician strain , actually originated in Poland .

Actually i've been doing a lot of web browsing last weekend and i've found a lot of information that i wasnt aware of before .

Mostly about the history of uk Carp fishing , the oldest living british Carp and the origins of Carp themselves , with a lot of contribution from well known Anglers .

Billing gets mentioned a lot :)

Trouble is its nearly all on other forums .

Because the rules of Carp.com forbid links to other forums , ( can anyone confirm this for certain please ?), can anybody suggest a way in which i can make it available to one and all on here ?

Well, Im very bad about bothering with weighing and measuring my catch.Most of the time I try to catch, photo, release as fast as I can and move on to the next carp.I need to get my act together this spring and be a little more organized and not just rush into the fishing between each catch.

Ive had limited interaction with anglers as far as Carp go's.Not too many understand why I target them but...my gain,there loss I guess.I also fish crappies, blue gills, walleye etc.I'm more prone to measure those species as that's whats popular among the vast of angler's here and folks wanna hear more info on those fish.

This year I'm eager to share a little more and be more proud of the sport of carping with locals instead of just sharing about the other species, and usually leaving out info about Carp.

I'm hopeful to get into some new tactics which include a few Europian carping tips I picked up this year, and also introduce some older carp traditional rods and reels in the mix.

Cant wait for spring to come!

CM , yes mate Donald Leney did indeed bring 'em over from Italy i was just pointing out that , having been doing a lot of reading up on the subject recently , that my findings on the internet appear to indicate that the Galican STRAIN originated from Poland at some point in time .

I hope Frank ( levi ) reads this as he does a lot of travelling and fishing in eastern europe and would undoubtably be keen to involve homself in this subject .

As i mentioned earlier , i found a fantastic thread from another forum ( so i cant post a link ) involving several famous Anglers and Angling Historians .

You would appreciate a read if i could post it , you probably know some of the contributors .

Its stuff we should all know about our marvellous pastime :wink:

that sounds really good buddy, these big perch , Tim says there are a lot on his carp venues, sounds good to me, just looking for a good Rudd venue.

I'm gonna concentrate on a small stretch of river not far from me that I had some very large perch from around 13 years ago,whether or not there are still big perch in there I don't know, but there is only one way to find out.

Most commercial carp fisheries hold decent sized Perch which nobody targets .

Obviously growing big by eating Carp baits i would imagine ....

Mufty's only a half hour drive from me and i can suggest a couple of venues not too far from me , one in Brentwood in paticular .

Is that the same one we was talking about on another thread a little while back?

Yeah Nupers is one but i only know about that one by heresay .

The one i've witnessed with my own eyes is the Match Lake at Crow Green fishery in Pilgrims Hatch , my Mrs caught a BiG Perch the same day she caught a 14.6lb Ghostie and she caught that on a pellet feeder would you believe :)

That was in about 2009 imagine it now with a great big lobworm :wink:

Yeah Nupers is one but i only know about that one by heresay .

The one i've witnessed with my own eyes is the Match Lake at Crow Green fishery in Pilgrims Hatch , my Mrs caught a BiG Perch the same day she caught a 14.6lb Ghostie and she caught that on a pellet feeder would you believe :)

That was in about 2009 imagine it now with a great big lobworm :wink:

Heard a lot of good things about crow green, here's one for you mate,how long do perch live for ?

Their website says lakes open feb-november but it then goes on to quote winter fishing prices so a fone call would be in order i reckon ...nupers that is .

Perch ? Dunno but i bet it depends on the pike lol

Edited by newmarket

Heard a lot of good things about crow green, ?

Used to fish there a LOT a few years ago and the way my life is going i'll be spending a lot more time there .

£20 for 24 hrs is a lot cheaper than digs .

Edited by newmarket

Used to fish there a LOT a few years ago and the way my life is going i'll be spending a lot more time there .

£20 for 24 hrs is a lot cheaper than digs .

You can get a syndi for £400 a year, much cheaper than rent☺.

I'm sure that your situation will get better mate.

whatever happens as long as your boy is happy then it's all good.

You can get a syndi for £400 a year, much cheaper than rent☺.

I'm sure that your situation will get better mate.

whatever happens as long as your boy is happy then it's all good.

He'll be ok . Tough as old boots he is , a lot tougher than me thats for sure .