Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

I been thinking of buying a good carp starter kit for Euro type carp fishing.I don't want to randomly start buying a bunch of tackle on something I know zilch about.So I figured I start with some basic kits.

Seen online the Docks Specimen Starter kit from a carp outfit in the US.

Any of you heard of this kit?

Any recommendations for another kit that ships in the US?

I don't mind spending more for quality .

Thanks JC

G'd this - a set of ready made rigs with hooks and line and instructions (mind you it is a South African web site I looked at, so accept my appologies if it is not the same stuff).

If you are having difficulty tying your own then it may be worth getting it for a start, but certainly look to tie your own rigs as you will be able to adjust the hair and hook length to suit conditions and once you get more experience you will be able to get alternate materials if the supplied ones are not as good.

Jeremy what are you using at the moment mate ?

I've never heard of it but i've had a look and it doesnt really describe its contents very well does it ?

Im guessing its a selection of different hooks and hooklink making materials with a book advising etc .

Now i know you've already been reading british Carp fishing books .

I reckon you'll learn more from them than you will from that "starter" kit .

There are several good books about rigs and rig making and probably even more about bait , bait making and baiting strategies .

As for the quality of the materials within that starter kit ? Who knows ?

You'll be better off deciding wgat you need and either buying direct from tacklebox or ebay .

Just my twopence worth mate :wink:

Newmarket-For me I'm usually super simple and been successful with Hooks, jigs and sinkers & sometimes a float.A Night crawler is best bait for me so far.

Guess what I was looking for was basic setup ups for hair rigs.The different weights, swivels, bait options etc.Most of the terminology used for carp tackle is foreign to me so I have a hard time following alot of information that's available online.I think I'd understand more if I actually had my hands on some and then I can figure out what many are actually talking about lol

Edited by JeremyCampbell

So many things these days are confused by marketing departments and mis-interpreted terms. As you say, seeing is one thing, holding is another.

All of these "rigs" are quite basic and were thought of to overcome problems, this does not mean they are always used to overcome those problems though.

this "What's this rig?" picture is all you need, learn the knotless knot and you are 98% there.

The hair rig can be quite confusing if you are used to putting your bait straight onto the hook. And the opposite can be true for people who have been brought up with the hair rig not being comfortable putting the bait onto the hook (or maybe not understanding the concept!)

The hair rig, well the hair really, just means that the bait can be attached to the hook without covering the hook so that when the carp takes the bait into its mouth it also takes the hook which is free and clear. All the bits are there to try and make the line and bait behave as you (think) you want them to.

At the end of the day, making the hair is as simple as not trimming the tag end off when tying a hook.

I would continue to put the Night Crawlers (some type of worm) directly onto your hook since they don't tend to cover the hook point (my opinion.)

Ok thats straight forward enough mate :wink:

Jeremy ? Is CM on the right lines there ?

Just wondering why you are so keen to catch Carp european style .

Is it purely the challenge ?

Well how different CAN it be ?

Angling pressure?

Agree with CM, however, would just like to add that as it's so prolific with carp - how do you set about picking out the bigger ones?

Not so long ago, continental (European (whatever that means)) fishing took this country by storm, we're in Europe, copying European fishing - now the Europeans are copying our European fishing. And carp angling (over here) has taken a big chunk out of the South African fishing book.

I'm having a meltdown.

Was watching one of John Timmermans videos and even in France the current in one of the rivers was strong enough that he had to handline the fish in as he reckoned he just wouldn't have landed it with his rod.Can imagine plenty of the rivers across the pond would be similar.Those John Timmermans films are very good by the way