January catch reports

Debatable isn't it, I think it's commonly agreed that they slow down as the temperature drops. If you go on youtube and search for 'Valley pool underwater - carp fishing' and skip to 7 minutes 40 seconds, they come across fish which are literally stationary and sat on the bottom. This is with a water temperature of supposedly 5 degrees. In that scenario i figure yeah, you might as well go home? But, it's been cold to the point of lakes being frozen and yet yesterday at a local park lake I heard a 30lb had been out to someone when the day before the lake was frozen. Personally when I went out last Friday I deliberately fished a well stocked lake with much smaller fish and had a blast catching stuff from like half a pound up to 7 or 8lb while anglers on the specimen lake had a rather more quiet day! Nothing wrong with hunting out the big stuff in winter of course, all the more special when it does happen, but I fancied a tight line or two that day!

Debatable isn't it, I think it's commonly agreed that they slow down as the temperature drops. If you go on youtube and search for 'Valley pool underwater - carp fishing' and skip to 7 minutes 40 seconds, they come across fish which are literally stationary and sat on the bottom. This is with a water temperature of supposedly 5 degrees. In that scenario i figure yeah, you might as well go home? But, it's been cold to the point of lakes being frozen and yet yesterday at a local park lake I heard a 30lb had been out to someone when the day before the lake was frozen. Personally when I went out last Friday I deliberately fished a well stocked lake with much smaller fish and had a blast catching stuff from like half a pound up to 7 or 8lb while anglers on the specimen lake had a rather more quiet day! Nothing wrong with hunting out the big stuff in winter of course, all the more special when it does happen, but I fancied a tight line or two that day!

A few weeks ago I came across an article by a guy who has been carp fishing for 30 years. He regularly tests the water temperature by casting a thermometer out then quickly retrieving it and reading the temperature. In 30 years of carp fishing he has only ever caught 3 carp when the water temperature had dropped below 3.9'c.

I personally am happy to go fishing if I think I have a good chance of catching, but I see no reason to sit out in freezing conditions if there is a very low chance of getting anything. Its just money down the drain when you consider costs of day tickets, bait, etc.

Was this an online article? Would love to read it. I am not surprised to learn that having had similar thoughts myself somebody has already done it. I was wondering if it would be possible to search out marginally warmer areas/layers of a lake using a thermometer. I haven't invested enough time to find a thermometer that would A) give you a reading that was the bit/depth of water you were concerned with (instead of changing as you brought it back in) B) robust enough C) Not going to potentially harm fish/wildlife if it comes off or gets damaged in the water D) cheap enough to lose or break.

The other thing is when you're talking about 'warmer' layers, it could be fractions of a degree difference I suppose, I really have no idea. So on top of all of the above you need something with decent accuracy. Straying off topic.

Thats why i can never understand when people recommend fishing the deeper areas in winter .

When i've had the opportunity ie LAST winter i was seeking out the shallow areas , especially on brighter days , and catching .

Nothing massive numerically or in size but certainly worth braving the elements for :)

I've never used a zig rig but have recently added it to my tackle box. On the face of it, something which let's you explore different layers/depths of a lake winter or summer, that imitates a natural food source (just like fly fishing) ought really to be a viable method imo.

Cant believe i've never seen that before lol , it HAS surprised me in that i didnt believe Carp would shoal up THAT much at any time of year let alone winter especially sizeable fish like that .

They certainly were not lieing dormant were they ?

A few weeks ago I came across an article by a guy who has been carp fishing for 30 years. He regularly tests the water temperature by casting a thermometer out then quickly retrieving it and reading the temperature. In 30 years of carp fishing he has only ever caught 3 carp when the water temperature had dropped below 3.9'c.

I personally am happy to go fishing if I think I have a good chance of catching, but I see no reason to sit out in freezing conditions if there is a very low chance of getting anything. Its just money down the drain when you consider costs of day tickets, bait, etc.

thought that article rung a bell http://www.questbaits.com/blog/winter-carp-fishing/

My local lake was completely frozen over this morning apart from one bank which was full of people fishing in the only spot that hadn't frozen. Im sorry but you must be bonkers fishing in those conditions! Im pretty sure Carp wont feed at those temperatures anyway...

See jontain thread

• 1 month later...