Does a 'good' rod really make a difference?

Last week I was out with my trusty Abu garcia enticers. They are only 2.25 tc, and I noticed perhaps not unsurprisingly that casting something lightweight like a maggot feeder - I am much more accurate. I have been wrestling with the idea of getting new rods (as these are old, probably not great, and only 11ft), but without spending huge bucks am I really going to see much improvement on a rod that is sub-£100 over what I already have? Or when I do it, should I really be thinking about doing it properly (and spending £100+)? Trouble is there is always hype in any industry where there is money to be made from people who need the latest toys, I don't want to be a victim of that if there's nothing to gain apart from a dent in my wallet.

I've not had much experience with expensive rods but the odd one i've had a "go" with , i would say you get what you pay for .

If i wS going to upgrade my B4's ( which imo are still great rods for the money ) then i would go the whole hog and invest in something like Centurys , Harrison's etc.

Imo MY rods are better rods than the usual suspects in the same price range ie warriors , outkasts etc and would never change em unless i could afford to spend £200 per rod at least.

My dodgy advice ? If your catching fish why fix what aint broke .

Save your pennies up for when yours DO break :)

I really appreciate your replies gents. Most of it is common sense I suppose. I've heard alot of people mention Greys, Sonik too. I do feel like whatever I get, the extra foot of length and a bit more tc would help with accuracy when casting something heavy like a bag. But then again, maybe I just need to get down the gym? Hehe. At the moment, gone fishing on Canvey has 20% off of any product over £10 until 11th Jan. That's what got me thinking, probably a good time to buy, might save as much as £50 on 2 rods.

Just looking online, at what point am I actually going to see a difference? £150? £200? £400? Have also just seen one of my current rods on eBay for £55 second hand... I'm sure they were only worth 50 when I bought them! Could be wrong.

Edited by Ddgx

Just looking online, at what point am I actually going to see a difference? £150? £200? £400?

Price is not a good indicator - each manufacturer will have their own price bracket where their rods are better than others in that price bracket, this changes from year to year as new rods are brought out in my experience.

Base your rod choice on what you want from it.

I would go to their shop (I assume you're fairly close) and speak to them, try to establish if they [the sales assistant] fish rather than recite the brochure and adverts - spend alot of time looking and asking.

Only you can decide if they will suit your fishing and are right for you.

You need a rod that will do what you want when you want it to, price means nothing mate, if a rod delicately places a rig underneath some overhanging trees and the next cast is a solid bag and it can handle it with ease AND it feels nice then you have it cracked,only way to see is research research research.

Its well and good but really,how much can you tell from going to a tackle shop and grabbing a rod while the shop assistant holds the tip while you"test" it!.

Sorry but I've been through 4 sets of rods in the last 18 months to find the right one,hope that helps......

Phil, that last bit, about field testing numerous rods before being happy. That really worries me! I did have visions of buying a new set and feeling like it was money wasted. It's likely that if I'm going to be spending £000's on new rods they will have to do me for a good many years. With two littluns I can't justify spending too many small fortunes on myself, fishing or any other hobbies or luxuries.

Maybe I'm over thinking, you can get the equivalent of my current rod for 29.99. I'd like to think something near the 100 mark while not absolutely top of the range is going to still be noticeably better (although I can't say I'm even sure what better means yet).

Don't panic! I'm lucky in the fact I'm a director of a printing company so I can buy random stuff, I picked up 2 Wychwood rapier 2.75lb rods 2nd hand for £80, I love em!! Do exactly what I previously stated, its all to do with feel and personal preference,why spend £250 on a rod? Yeah its expensive but if you don't like the look of em or are too stiff or not tippy enough what's the point? Understand matey??

It does nm. Well, the abu's have started to come apart now for one. Collar that holds reel on has cracked on one. Paint coming away where sections join. Also though it's part wanting to cast heavier weight. Even relatively short distance, I am having to be cautious with a bag because it's just feels like too much hanging off 11 foot and 2.25lb tc. Id like the option to cast further if the situation required it. These rods have done their time, plenty of fish, I imagine they are not as resilient and rigid as they once were.

Edited by Ddgx

Ive been through a total change in my carp rod set ups. I have always used 12 footers. I find 3lb tc to be excellent. Greys prodigy ive had for a while and Harrisons before that. Rod technology has changed dramatically in the last few years and most blanks are up to the job. Finding the right one that suits is not difficult. A friend of mine bought some TFG Delta xs for a pittance. Ive had a play with them. No wonder Dave Lane rates them. They cast well and look a million dollars. Ive watched fish being played on them and the action is sweet. £40 each ..My recent rods are..2 x.Nash Dwarf 9ft 2.75 tc. and 2 x 10ft 3.5 tc. These are amazing. Casting accuracy is improved and if you want 150 + yards the 3.5s do it so well. I bought them because I found swim choices on some lakes limited because of overhanging trees. Job done. If you have never played a fish on shorter rods your in for a treat. They do exactly what they are designed for. I cant see me getting the 12 footers out unless I go on a huge pit again. They cut down on bulk and weight and are great value. Changed my perspective completely.

Evening all. Went for a pair of Daiwa Theory 12ft 2.75lb. Good price, look nice, seem to be a good weight and supported local tackle shop which was a bonus (didn't get them at gone fishing in the end). Whether they are the right rods for me only time will tell but certainly feel good in the hand compared to my old abu's.