Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
salokcinnodrog

PVA Bags or Stringers or Not?

Just wondering how many people use the same old PVA bag Method for their fishing.

Fill bag with pellets or stick, attach to Hook and cast.

Considering that there are so many different ways to fish PVA: stringers, bags with the Rig and Lead inside, just attached to the hook and so on. Chopped baits, filled with Liquid, mixed pellets, sticks.

I've been using PVA bags for something like 10years and found I have to keep changing my methods of fishing them to continue to catch Carp.

When people follow PVA bags I switched back to Stringers, and caught more again.

I've now got a method of putting free bait around the hook with no PVA at all, can attach free boilies or not and can still cast up to about 60yards with confidence.

Any more thoughts on PVA or are most people the same?

Guest Anonymous

I like the large ESP PVA bags but only make them up at home. For most of the venues I frequent they are castable to reasonable distances when loaded with crushed, broken & whole boilies with a handful of different sized pellet. Poor old 2.75 t/c rods, it really makes them work!

I do the usual & place my 3oz flat lead inside with a snakeskin hooklength to a size 6 'D' rig either fished on the bottom or popped up an inch over the freebies.

I did get a bit peeved the other week when after hours of sitting at home making up bags with rigs in we got to the lake set the gear up & I walked up the bank about 100yds to place one of mine about 20 feet out in a hole on the lake bed. At that distance it's too close for an overhead cast so I dropped the bait down with the rod in front of me, swung the bag towards me & back out again getting it perfectly in line with my marker... One last swing & out she went, only the bag touched the water & instantly exploded spreading my bait over the entire area (except where I actually wanted it) & what was left of the snotty PVA hanging all over my weight & rig :roll: ... not happy :cry:

Generally while on the bank I use stocking for pellet but again I make up a few before the session. I put the PVA bags in a sealable sandwich bag & refridgerate in my garage. I make up all different sized bags & use the small ones to catty out.

If fishing at distance with boilies the pva string or tape comes into it's own, some glugged, some not. I do sometimes make up small PVA bags on the bank filled with boilies & tie it with PVA string to the swivel at the top of my hooklink then just before the cast I use a syringe to inject glug into the top of the bag, works a treat.

I fished a lake last Wednesday night where I placed my overnight catfish bait a few feet from the opposite bank so once it was out there I walked round & simply scattered my bed of pellet over the main bait, think of the PVA I saved!

It all depends on the situation & weather conditions. PVA & heavy rain are not my favourite combination :lol:

I use Anchors BDS (bait delivery system), I find that if you use them with the large prefrorated esp bags, you can easy fit a 7-8 inch rig inside, safely knowing that your hook bait is going to be presented well with a neat pile of bait camoflauging the hooklink and weight, when the fish start feeding on the pile of bait, they move your hooklink and weight about, letting you know a fish has moved onto the bait with a few bleeps from the bite alarm.

I also find that just fishing the stardand few boilies (say 20% of the bags capacity) and the rest pellet (80%) is to typical of the modern carp angler, instead i like to use a mixture of the boilies im using, both whole and broken, the ground bait/ base mix of the boilie im using to create a cloud in the water once the fish start grubbing around, a good helping of glug for added attraction, then various sizes of pellet with different break down times, this way i like to feel the bag ive just cast out is 'active', constanly releasing flavours and attractions for a period of time. I find this a much more attractive pile of bait, compared to the few boilies and pellets the bloke in the swim next door has just chucked out.

I dont know how many people have fished pva bags using the BDS system before and it would be intresting to see what results theyve had on them?? Because i have had all my biggest carp using the BDS systems, on waters that recieve a high amount of pressure week in week out, and waters that bairly see a bait and the fish stock are extremely low compared to the size of the water.

ive had good results on funnel web and stringers but i think the funnel web is a fraction better for the type of fishing i do you can use diffrent mixes of ground bait ect in it rather than larger baits on string

ive had good results on funnel web and stringers but i think the funnel web is a fraction better for the type of fishing i do you can use diffrent mixes of ground bait ect in it rather than larger baits on string

I use the funnel web / stick combination purely to make sure that the hooklink doesnt tangle on the cast.

This season I've left the whole PVA thing out (unless I'm fishing in weed), I think its getting too obvious. Just like very tight beds of bait will die a death and the bait boat will become less effective, I've already seen it happen on one of my waters where nearly everyone puts out tight beds at range.

Its singles for me all the way at the moment. Being different will probably prove to be the way to go over time. Heres hoping anyway!

This season I've left the whole PVA thing out (unless I'm fishing in weed), I think its getting too obvious. Just like very tight beds of bait will die a death and the bait boat will become less effective, I've already seen it happen on one of my waters where nearly everyone puts out tight beds at range.

Its singles for me all the way at the moment. Being different will probably prove to be the way to go over time. Heres hoping anyway!

An expensive tactic maybe, but I have been using either a Marker rod with the float removed or the "spare" rod and putting out PVA Bags full of bait, or even a stringer. With no Hook near it I feel it may give the Carp a little extra confidence at times.

Thing with stringers is that the line of baits can be fairly obvious, almost pointing to the Hookbait, so a tight PVA Mesh with boilies in can almost explode if the mesh is done up "too" tight and spray the boilies a slight distance away. Or Necklaces of stringers rather than the straight line, then there is the Haemmorhoid "Rig", about 50boilies threaded onto various stringers and attached to the Hooklink swivel. Pick out the hookbait from that little lot. 8):lol:

An expensive tactic maybe, but I have been using either a Marker rod with the float removed or the "spare" rod and putting out PVA Bags full of bait, or even a stringer. With no Hook near it I feel it may give the Carp a little extra confidence at times.

Thing with stringers is that the line of baits can be fairly obvious, almost pointing to the Hookbait, so a tight PVA Mesh with boilies in can almost explode if the mesh is done up "too" tight and spray the boilies a slight distance away. Or Necklaces of stringers rather than the straight line, then there is the Haemmorhoid "Rig", about 50boilies threaded onto various stringers and attached to the Hooklink swivel. Pick out the hookbait from that little lot. 8):lol:

Thats a pretty clever idea nick! Unless your fishing on the lake alone, then it may be pretty usless. As you put loads of PVA bags in, then the fish get confident eating them. Then someone else comes and wacks one out with a hook in and they get spooked again.

Thats a pretty clever idea nick! Unless your fishing on the lake alone, then it may be pretty usless. As you put loads of PVA bags in, then the fish get confident eating them. Then someone else comes and wacks one out with a hook in and they get spooked again.

True, but you get an area with loads of Patches of bait from dissolved PVA Bags then which one does the Carp have to be wary of? Because of the number in one area its less likely to be spooked. Maybe if there are a number of these patches the Carp are unlikely to take the one with the hookbait in first. The Carp may check one or two, finds them safe, so it just takes a couple more then the next is Hooked.

Something I've employed in the past.If you're fishing PVA bags then I'd catty out freebies in PVA bags so the carp'd be used to finding small piles of food.The spread of spodding put the bait over too wide an area.

iv put boilies up the hook lenght with pva string ,instead of the normal stringer hanging below the hook

but i dont use boilies anymore ,so not done it for a while

i tend to go with a small mesh so the hook is safe on the cast and stops tangles

I use a little tactic where by i make up two small bags of pellet with one boilie inside each small mesh bag. i then chuck these 2 in and fish a single on the rod cast near to where i have chucked the bags in (covered in PVA foam etc to stop tangles), found it works pretty well on some of my waters - only problem is the presence of little fish

tiger

iv put boilies up the hook lenght with pva string ,instead of the normal stringer hanging below the hook

i tend to go with a small mesh so the hook is safe on the cast and stops tangles

I do something like that, a Loop through the Hooklink/Mainline swivel and thread boilies up that. Then hook the PVA at the bottom, as well as reducing tangles it hides the hooklink, and for some reason the Hookbait is often the first one taken.

I do something like that, a Loop through the Hooklink/Mainline swivel and thread boilies up that. Then hook the PVA at the bottom, as well as reducing tangles it hides the hooklink, and for some reason the Hookbait is often the first one taken.

that was my thinking behind it as well ,that the first boilie to go would be the hook bait :)

id take a pic and post it ,but iv not seen it in a mag or book and feel its to good to share :lol::wink:

that was my thinking behind it as well ,that the first boilie to go would be the hook bait :)

id take a pic and post it ,but iv not seen it in a mag or book and feel its to good to share :lol::wink:

Easy way to describe/do it:

Take out enough PVA to put you baits on when ITS DOUBLED UP, so take twice what you need. Tie an overhand knot at the end, so you have one doubled up length of PVA. Using the loop to loop method go through the eye of the (dried) swivel with the PVA, then thread on the Baits. Push the Hook through the end.

That make sense?

I tend to use lots of different methods depending what everybody else is doing, if everyones putting out nice tight groups of bait then I would tape or stringers. Must admit I have never used the Emma Freuds one I might give that a go

hi threr guys just thought i would add to this thread and tell you what i have found out i have played with pva bags and stringers in many ways however i find that i catch better is i alternate between a bag just nicked onto the hook and stringer just to get the swim kick started then i just go onto single hookbaits untill i have had a few fish out the got back to pva and stringer just enough to keep the freebies toped up and to keep the intrest there as it is very easy to over feed the swim by useing pva to much that is just my experiance thats all

Thought about this for a while, do you think that the PVA mesh bags, particularly when they're tightly filled with pellets, just explode on imoact of the water, leaving pellets scattered everywhere?

This would end up with you having a single hookbait, and a few pellets scattered within about 1 metre, and not the tight bundle next to the hookbait like the PVA companies suggest.

I know this happens in water deeper than 6 foot, or so, but what about shallower water?

The only way I can think to combat this is to tie the bags looser, meaning they'd contract on the way down, and not just explode?

hi there no not at all if you double up on the bag and use a good quality pva a bag inside a bag really helps with the inpact and allows the bag to reach the bottom even in deep water of over 6 feet as it takes long to break down loose baggs tend to tear as they inpact but for pellet i would recomend the use of solid pva bags and double them up to if in deep water but alway buy quality ones

CG,

Thats actually one of the reasons I test my PVA before I use it so I know how the stuff behaves. I've found that tighter bags tend to get through to the bottom better than loose bags. With loose stocking bags the impact can free the hook from the mesh, yet there is less chance with tighter bags, less movement.

Also with Lead Clips the Lead can get ripped free from the Lead clip with PVA Bags as the Bag slows down considerably more than the Lead does on impact with the water.

I do prefer to use Running Leads, so my current favourite way of fixing PVA stocking bags at the moment is to do the stocking full of Free stuff, then cut the mesh rather than overhand knot it. Slit the mesh down to the freebies, then double overhand knot it tight with the 2 tags. Then with those tags tie them around the Mainline/Tubing twice with overhand knot, as well just above the lead. Hook goes into the bottom end of the Mesh.

You have a running lead set-up that to start with is Semi-Fixed, but as the PVA dissolves becomes a running set-up. This does get down to the bottom, the PVA doesn't dissolve until it gets to the bottom and you have the hooklink covered in freebies.

Word of warning for you with all PVA Strings and Tapes.

When you get a new stock, cut some of the new stuff off, about 10centimetres. The start of a roll may behave differently from the rest. Also if its a long time between use ALWAYS test your PVA. If left in a Tackle Box unused it can "Go Off". It may then not dissolve at all!

It can also be worth testing a short length of PVA to find out if it dissolves properly each time you buy some more. :wink:

That testing can include Bags as well!

I have posted it on here before about the purchase of some Nash PVA Bags. I forgot to remove them from my Combats pocket after buying them and before my Combats went into the Washing Machine. The PVA after a 40degree wash, rinse and spin had not dissolved. The plastic bag that the bags were in had split on the side and was holding water. The PVA bags were still whole and undissolved!

These quotes are from a couple of my others on the PVA String thread.

hi there salokcinnodrog i was expecting you to answer that one lol

i must say that cutting the bag down to the bait and tieing them off like you say you do is the way that i always tie my bags as you can get them much tighter that way i thought i was the only one that did that lol

hi there salokcinnodrog i was expecting you to answer that one lol

i must say that cutting the bag down to the bait and tieing them off like you say you do is the way that i always tie my bags as you can get them much tighter that way i thought i was the only one that did that lol

Alright Keith?

Hows you doing?

Joys of sitting on the PC I guess. :lol::lol:

I started doing that because I have problems with my fingers and could not get an Overhand knot tight enough to the top of the freebies. I think I also saw Matt Hayes do it that way?

If you use Solid bags rather than Mesh do you find without overfilling them you are able to twist the 2 top tags and then overhand knot them as well? I've done that a few times but prefer to spit and stick the top down round the Mainline/tubing.

hi there salokcinnodrog i fine thank you

yes you are right there with the solid bags and i to prefer to cut the bags down and tie of the ears as i call them lol the other thing i do is to fold the bottom corners of the bag and stick them down as this makes them more aerodienamic and flys better