Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Carp.com Fishing Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

rosstheangler

Anyone angling this weekend?

1,409 posts in this topic

Thats interesting as reading rod hutchinson the carp strikes back .

He was saying a hair length from 4 to 6 inches in length was adequate.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Think you must have misunderstood that buddy, no one would suggest a hair that length.

. Nope definitely no misunderstanding mate [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David_Ridgers likes this

. Nope definitely no misunderstanding mate [emoji14]

Will tomorrow quote what he said unless have also misunderstood.

Cm dont forget this is an old book so 4 to 6 inches in today's standard is probably long .

As he talks about carp sucking the bait first and see if it moves like normal bait.

Do you sharpen your hooks SPR?

There may even be a fish trailing a rig. There's definitely one on my lake. A couple of guys have had it where the left hand rod has a false take, followed 10 minutes later by the right hand rod and vice versa where a fish is moving through the swim.

Frustrating mate when you get a false/aborted bite, those fish have seen it all over the years. I would make sure my hooks were needle sharp and hit them early, before I started messing with everything too much. I've been down that route. It can bend your head if you play around too much.

Edited by Big Common
spr1985 likes this

Will tomorrow quote what he said unless have also misunderstood.

Cm dont forget this is an old book so 4 to 6 inches in today's standard is probably long .

As he talks about carp sucking the bait first and see if it moves like normal bait.

Agreed mate, I'm on that very book. Haven't got as far as you by the sounds of it. I can definitely see the logic in a really long hair, as Nick mentioned, for the added movement. You don't see many people do it nowadays. The actual length of the hair, I suppose, would depend on the size of the carp you are fishing for.

Personally , I try to get the hook in the carps mouth as soon as possible and let the rig mechanics do the rest. Fat lot of good it does me. But it's something I'm stuck on. At least for now.

spr1985 likes this

Quote the carp strikes back.

This is when a fish sucks the bait from a considerable distance sometimes this can be as far as six inches away.

But cant find the part about where he was saying about hair length hopefully others like bc will help..

Spr cm i advise you to read the carp strikes back by rod a very interesting book.

David I shall have a look for a copy,

Bc, I've never sharpened them before as always seemed very sharp out of the packet.....but I did recently buy a diamond file for doing so, I shall give it a bash and see how I get on.... I hear it's a fine art when it comes to sharpening. As for changing things to much I usually leave well alone

Big Common likes this

Had so much on recently, haven't been fishing in a few months now but with everything calming down I hope to start doing a bit again. Next weekend I'm going to start fishing the canal and hopefully get a carp from there by the end of the year. I'm walking the dog down there today to try and find a few spots. I'm also gonna start rolling my own bait sometime next week so I'll be prebaiting and using it for the rest of this year so hopefully they like it lol.

Bc, I've never sharpened them before as always seemed very sharp out of the packet.....but I did recently buy a diamond file for doing so, I shall give it a bash and see how I get on.... I hear it's a fine art when it comes to sharpening. As for changing things to much I usually leave well alone

Spr you have a kindle or ipad tablet?

You can get it on amazon for a wopping 10

Well worth it..

Hardback is expensive. V

Well worth it..

Hardback is expensive. V

Unfortunately not mate, I had a look yesterday and the cheapest I found it was around the £15 mark, so not to bad

Well worth it..

Hardback is expensive. V

Sooooo David, it turns out that the tablet that my daughter doesn't use is actually a kindle fire rapped in bright pink rubber case (that comes off)

5638ed38a0b84f95ec1241e7ddc559e3.jpg. So now I have a kindle fire lol [emoji23] problem solved

phildalton1982 likes this

Sooooo David, it turns out that the tablet that my daughter doesn't use is actually a kindle fire rapped in bright pink rubber case (that comes off)

5638ed38a0b84f95ec1241e7ddc559e3.jpg. So now I have a kindle fire lol [emoji23] problem solved

Woohoo there amazing bits of kit !..

Finally get on the kindle and read ..

Dont leave it by the lake like i did, realised 9pm last night. Went back and found it, frozen but ok!!

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

spr1985 and David_Ridgers like this

Dont leave it by the lake like i did, realised 9pm last night. Went back and found it, frozen but ok!!

Maybe I should leave it in that god awful case... hard to miss and may prevent leaving it anywhere

You don't have to go mad with the sharpening. Just a touch up. Hook might stick a second or two longer......... just a thought bud.

spr1985 likes this

I'll give it a try and hopefully not ([emoji459] ⚾️ [emoji458]) it up [emoji23]

I would put your daughter's pink bumper back on in case you drop the kindle , embrace your feminine side  :D .

Oh and scrub your fingernails :rolleyes:  . 

Fished overnight last night 2:00pm till 8:00am this morning , not a touch :confused: 

I would put your daughter's pink bumper back on in case you drop the kindle , embrace your feminine side :D .

Oh and scrub your fingernails :rolleyes: .

Pink kindle and purple line .

At least it matches well.

spr1985 and crusian like this

Prep today and fishing tomorrow and maybe Sunday :D I've got the maize soaking with salt and sugar, hopefully I get it right lol and I'll make a few kilo of boilies tonight. Plan is one rod on maize and the other on boilie fished over maize and boilie. I'm fishing the tidal part of my river that can have a strong current when the tide is pulling out so I'll probably bait the swim little and often. Ill try and get back there the day after to see if anything has moved into the swim :)

David_Ridgers likes this

Just txt a guy i know who runs a fishery i was going to tomorrow. His reply, leave ya rods at home bring ya ice skates! Not looking good at all

Prep today and fishing tomorrow and maybe Sunday :D I've got the maize soaking with salt and sugar, hopefully I get it right lol and I'll make a few kilo of boilies tonight. Plan is one rod on maize and the other on boilie fished over maize and boilie. I'm fishing the tidal part of my river that can have a strong current when the tide is pulling out so I'll probably bait the swim little and often. Ill try and get back there the day after to see if anything has moved into the swim :)

Well you've done the prep. , you've got a plan , now reel them in  :D

jh92 likes this

Just txt a guy i know who runs a fishery i was going to tomorrow. His reply, leave ya rods at home bring ya ice skates! Not looking good at all

That's what I was told , and I don't even own a pair of Skates  :cry:

I'm desperate to try my new rods out but the wimp in me is winning at the moment.

Hats off to anybody that is mad enough to fish in this cold weather.

And anybody doing overnight sessions either needs a 20 year old nympho at home, or locking up.

Edited by smufter