Zig fishing is simply fly fishing without a fly rod and line

Fishbits

Ok here's a topic to get everyone going on a cool Thursday I disagree with the ethics of zig fishing it is simply fly fishing by another name. Surely carp fishing is the presentation of a natural or HNV bait in the fishes usual feeding zone on the deck, or in some cases on the top. To me this is carp fishing in its truest sense, the use of artificial tied lures to catch carp to me is not right ITS FLY FISHING are we so desperate to catch that we will resort to any means to catch our chunky friends what is next "point" fishing with a bow and arrow or solid mesh fishing with a net, what has happened to the days of ethics and morals within angling if you want to fly fish for carp then fly fish don't dress it up as zig or lure fishing to me it's a different sport and should be classed as such. GO!

Zig fishing can be classed as upside down float fishing as well.

Float fishing up in the water (right up to the surface) has been a good tactic for years.

Where do you stand on pop-ups?

As Androo has pointed out though, you can't catch them if your bait is not where they are.

Bow fishing is quite common in various parts of the world, the Americas for starters as mentioned on threads here.

Our East European friends have been using all sorts of methods on our waterways.

Many will disagree with zig fishing because of the foul hooking potential, so some will almost agree with you, but not for your reasons.

I disagree with your definition of carp fishing on many levels, HNV is a relatively new concept, although you mention natural bait - where does that end?

Carp only browse mid water it is lure fishing they don't tend to chow down mid water they are bottom feeders to me the trick is to pull them down to the deck to take your bait fishing for them mid water is not sporting! it's simply changing the method of fishing all together just using the same rod and line my argument is simply zigs as a nice soft trade name for lure fishing would anglers have taken to it if it was called lure fishing!

Studies have shown that Carp spend up to 90% of their lives NOT on the bottom therefore i disagree with you 200% .

And its called a Zig Rig for a reason that even my 3 year old could work out .

Fishing is so much more effective when its done in water instead of online :wink:

Edited by newmarket

I do stuff that's closer to fly fishing than fishing zigs and I class it as a perfectly good tactic.

If I can see the fish, I'll happily flick just a hook, with either maggots, slow sinking crust or corn with the middle squeezed out, so it gets taken mid water on the drop.

That's much closer to fly fishing as I'm actively casting to fish again and again.

I love it as a tactic as it's much more fun and mobile way of fishing.

My definition is off I agree I would simplify it by saying a bait presented in a natural manner ie. On the bottom or top I was including boilies as I accept these have become a part of modern carp fishing. The only pop ups I tend to use are to lift a bait over chod on the bottom. I aggree even that zigs will become a standard part of "carp fishing" I just don't agree with catching at any or all costs it devalues the catch if the ethics are that loose why not use bow fishing or multiple trebles suspended mid water like our European pals !

It is fly fishing by another name I really don't think you can argue that just because the fly is anchored.

I just don't agree with catching at any or all costs.

On this, I think many will agree

It is fly fishing by another name I really don't think you can argue that just because the fly is anchored.

Is fly fishing angling by another name?

Nymphs are most effective almost stationary I also don't like chod rigs I might start another thread lol you all seem to be missing the point I accept zig fishing is a part of carp fishing I just don't consider it to be ethical i.e. my comment on float fishing in a trout fishery.

I aggree even that zigs will become a standard part of "carp fishing" I just don't agree with catching at any or all costs it devalues the catch if the ethics are that loose why not use bow fishing or multiple trebles suspended mid water like our European pals !

This is just a bad way to try to get a point across.

Trying to link zig fishing with bow fishing or multiple trebles etc and trying to evoke an emotional response to sway people to your side is just silly. It makes everything else pale into insignificance because your trying to manipulate through emotions and not rational thought.

Nymphs are most effective almost stationary I also don't like chod rigs I might start another thread lol you all seem to be missing the point I accept zig fishing is a part of carp fishing I just don't consider it to be ethical i.e. my comment on float fishing in a trout fishery.

Angling is angling is angling .

Whats unethical about Zigs ?

I wouldnt have a oroblem with you float fishing for trout if its within the fishery rules .

Some fisheries ban surface baits . Is that because they consider it unethical ?

As far as im concerned everythings game within the realms of fish safety .

I'm not trying to sway anyone or make any links I understand my carpy pals are not Eastern Europeans catching to eat their prey but my point stands if korda developed a tiny plug or blade to evoke carps fancy for fry at the right time of year where does it end fishing should be fun I aggree but no one has answered my question of what would happen if I turned up at a trout pool or chalk stream with a float rod and maggots Id catch lots of trout !! It would be fun!!

I like this forum you get super response to posts please don't be to hard on me I'm just thinking that our amazing sport is in danger of loosing it's ethics and without those what do we become you cannot tell me Newmarket that you would say anything other than derogatory things if I was fishing for trout with float and maggot Id be thrown off the water or in! Lol the point is trout anglers protect their sport with their ethics and would consider trout caught by any other means as non sporting should zig caught carp have separate record books? Please don't take my use of the word ethics as being a slight against fish care etc. I mean it solely in the sense of being within the sports basic fundamentals.

I'm not trying to sway anyone or make any links I understand my carpy pals are not Eastern Europeans catching to eat their prey but my point stands if korda developed a tiny plug or blade to evoke carps fancy for fry at the right time of year where does it end fishing should be fun I aggree but no one has answered my question of what would happen if I turned up at a trout pool or chalk stream with a float rod and maggots Id catch lots of trout !! It would be fun!!

I refer you to my last post.

Lol, I made the same observation on this site a few years back, called it static fly fishing, went down like a pork chop at a bar mitzvah

I still see a link between zig and fly fishing, as in try to mimic a hatching insect or getting the fish to strike out due to aggression, want to borrow my tin hat OP :mrgreen:

Lol, I made the same observation on this site a few years back, called it static fly fishing, went down like a pork chop at a bar mitzvah

I still see a link between zig and fly fishing, as in try to mimic a hatching insect or getting the fish to strike out due to aggression, want to borrow my tin hat OP :mrgreen:

Ian , i agree there are similarities but i cant agree with mr Fishbit's ethics argument .

If its within the fisheries rules then its ok as far as im concerned .

If its against said rules then that is a different argument entirely and for mr Fishbits to take up with said fishery not an excuse to go on an online fishing trip !

I've caught trout on the float albeit unintentionally.

Shiuld i have given myself 50 lashes and sought out a Priest ?

Edited by newmarket

I love my carp fishing with natural / food baits, plastics or zigs, I also love my pike fishing with lures or dead baits, I'm also partial to a bit of fluff chucking for trout. However I am not a carp fisherman, a pike fisherman or a fly fisherman, I'm an angler.

Exactly !!!!

I wouldn't worry about what other anglers are doing, besides a lot of waters are starting to ban either zig fishing out-right or plastic baits on zigs, seems to be going the same way as braid mainline.

As for separate records for zig caught fish, no need, the bigger fish in a lake rarely fall to a zig, although there will be uproar if a British record is taken on a zig, doubt that will ever happen though.