Zig fishing is simply fly fishing without a fly rod and line

Fishbits

Ok, I thought it was about arguing with emotions. It's as you didn't quote, I didn't know what post you referring to.

Agreed whole heartedly. I've never done it, I would like to.

As I mentioned I love flicking slow sinking baits in front of carp and provoking a bite. It's similar but not the same.

CM learn to quote, it makes it easier to see what you're referring to.

Someone do CM a guide :)

I think my point has been missed I just think if you are fishing in a particular style I.e. Carp fishing then it should not be a case to vary the style to the point that it becomes something else otherwise what is our sport I also consider myself an "angler"and have always fished for varied species from salmon to dace but I like to catch those fish in a traditional angling style

I've not even moved to the problem with foul hooking, the potential to leave lengths of line in the water or trailing fish also what is the deal with ejecting leads why are we dumping tonnes of lead into the water that is going to start to become a problem and it is a style of fishing that hugly benifits from dumping the lead

ever fished Drayton Ddgx, half the fish have lost more bits than Nelson.

I haven't no. To be honest I wasn't overly aware that zig fishing was that dangerous. As ever, I am quite happy to try and stifle my ignorance by doing a bit more homework on the subject (and hear all of your views) and then reassess my opinion of it. Fish safety first! Thanks for the heads up.

Here's some questions for the original poster:

*when does a pop up become a zig?

*what reaction would you get on a fly only lake and fished a zig?

*how easy do you think it is to catch on a zig?

*whats your difference in morals between floater fishing and zig fishing?

*where do you take your morals from? Is there a book on what's allowed and what's not?

*fly fishing is called fly fishing because you use a fly. Carp angling is carp angling because you are trying to catch carp. Should we rename carp fishing "bottom bait fishing"?

Click on the quote button

3lzXMbl.jpg

Then type away to your hearts content

1M447ui.jpg

I don't understand your post Androo, fly fishing for carp is great fun, explain mate.

Type your response here

And you can quote me on that :)

The multi quote button allows you to carry on reading the whole thread, then places all the quotes in one reply box.

You might argue sometimes over where the cursor has gone as it seems to disappear, just be patient with it and press the return / enter button a couple of times and you should see where it is.

If it all goes wrong, close the window and start again.

I think my point has been missed I just think if you are fishing in a particular style I.e. Carp fishing then it should not be a case to vary the style to the point that it becomes something else otherwise what is our sport I also consider myself an "angler"and have always fished for varied species from salmon to dace but I like to catch those fish in a traditional angling style

Who says "Carp fishing" is a "style" ffs ? Carp fishing means Angling FOR CARP .

Just because YOU like to camp out behind alarms ?

Tell that to Chris Yates .

Here's some questions for the original poster:

*when does a pop up become a zig?

*what reaction would you get on a fly only lake and fished a zig?

*how easy do you think it is to catch on a zig?

*whats your difference in morals between floater fishing and zig fishing?

*where do you take your morals from? Is there a book on what's allowed and what's not?

*fly fishing is called fly fishing because you use a fly. Carp angling is carp angling because you are trying to catch carp. Should we rename carp fishing "bottom bait fishing"?

Exactly my point Nige . Your last point in paticular

The multi quote button allows you to carry on reading the whole thread, then places all the quotes in one reply box.

You might argue sometimes over where the cursor has gone as it seems to disappear, just be patient with it and press the return / enter button a couple of times and you should see where it is.

If it all goes wrong, close the window and start again.

. Could have done with a computer boffin a couple of days ago when trying to delete nearly 6000 emails in one go from iCloud on an iPad,sussed it yesterday though. :)

At this point I'd just like to add a bit more fuel to the fire by announcing that I'm off fishing Tuesday and the weather forecast is looking ripe for some zig fishing :) sunny start, double figure air temp and high pressure. Sorry old chap but I can't see your argument against zigs :(

Me too, be out Tuesday, I have my new bait range from CCMoore to try out, I always stick with mainline up till now, they see mainline everything where I fish, so I thought i'd try a bait that is not so well used on that water.

Me too, be out Tuesday, I have my new bait range from CCMoore to try out, I always stick with mainline up till now, they see mainline everything where I fish, so I thought i'd try a bait that is not so well used on that water.

That is exactly why i went onto the XXX a few years ago , my lake saturated with Cell.

Never exactly tore the lake apart but caught steadily . Sometimes when nobody else did , and the Red Northern Specials really are :wink:

Good bait firm but out of my price range nowadays, i always found their advice over the fone invaluable , good luck with it Ian.

That is exactly why i went onto the XXX a few years ago , my lake saturated with Cell.

Never exactly tore the lake apart but caught steadily . Sometimes when nobody else did , and the Red Northern Specials really are :wink:

Good bait firm but out of my price range nowadays, i always found their advice over the fone invaluable , good luck with it Ian.

Cheers, the CC moore baits have worked out cheaper than what I was paying for the mainline stuff, not much choice in the tackle shops around here, either mainline or sticky, there are two local bait rollers that do their own range, Pyramid baits, I think Carefulcarping uses them, and another company that does a boilie called Cov red?

Nigewoodcock. All valid points to the fly fishing angles yes I believe it would be extremely effective for catching trout. My point is as a trout angler you simply would not use a zig rig. Zigs are effectively flies see Nash range I've even tied zigs for people, I don't think you can possibly argue that zig fishing is going to water our angling down.

would you take a pole to linear ?

Would you camp on a seatbox all day ?

We arnt talking about morals it's just fishing we are talking about what is the line between carp angling and fly fishing. I don't dispute that it is not easy to catch on zigs indeed it is not even an unfair advantage but it is fly fishing. I would say a pop up more than a couple of cm off the bottom is becoming a zig but we are at least throwing a nod to traditional carp fishing, other angling streams have ethics have unspoken rules about what is acceptable.

Newmarket. I am not an alarm monkey by any standards either! which only having one working leg means fishing is like running a marathon for me I don't appreciate that comment I am a traditionalist who enjoys stalking them out where I can and conditions allow.

I am pulling out now I've obviously russeled some feathers which was not my intention we are all never going to aggree on this point it is fly fishing that's that. I've got to go and put some new elastic in my pole now ready for redmire pool next weekend

Nigewoodcock. All valid points to the fly fishing angles yes I believe it would be extremely effective for catching trout. My point is as a trout angler you simply would not use a zig rig. Zigs are effectively flies see Nash range I've even tied zigs for people, I don't think you can possibly argue that zig fishing is going to water our angling down.

would you take a pole to linear ?

Would you camp on a seatbox all day ?

We arnt talking about morals it's just fishing we are talking about what is the line between carp angling and fly fishing. I don't dispute that it is not easy to catch on zigs indeed it is not even an unfair advantage but it is fly fishing. I would say a pop up more than a couple of cm off the bottom is becoming a zig but we are at least throwing a nod to traditional carp fishing, other angling streams have ethics have unspoken rules about what is acceptable.

Newmarket. I am not an alarm monkey by any standards either! which only having one working leg means fishing is like running a marathon for me I don't appreciate that comment I am a traditionalist who enjoys stalking them out where I can and conditions allow.

I am pulling out now I've obviously russeled some feathers which was not my intention we are all never going to aggree on this point it is fly fishing that's that. I've got to go and put some new elastic in my pole now ready for redmire pool next weekend

But of a jumble there to try and reply to.

Yes, I would take a pole to linear if I was fishing for fish that I could target with one. Same as I would use zigs there if it's how I thought I would best be in a chance of catching if I were carp fishing.

Fly fishing is fishing with an imitation bait (fly) and casting that to draw a take from a fish. I have fly fished for carp, with an imitation dog biscuit fly. Zig fishing is just a way of presenting a bait or fly if you like. Yes, I do think that the fish are taking what they believe to be emerging larvae or flies. So in that respect, your not too far away. Where you are miles away though is that it isn't actually 'fly fishing' in the way that is associated with the discription of 'fly fishing'

Also, it's no lesser way to catch a carp as, for instance, fishing a bottom bait on the deck.

If you were fly fishing for carp on the surface as I have mentioned above, what difference is that to you surface fishing, which seems acceptable to you??