Zig fishing is simply fly fishing without a fly rod and line

Fishbits

If the original statement is true?

You must go home happy after a blank safe in the knowledge that you fished ethically the right way - on the bottom, how it is meant to be?

The fish were going crazy on a hatch and someone had a 40 on a zig bug - but hey they cheated and should have blanked like you on a boilie on the deck - where it is meant to be.

Stupid talk - pillock!

So now you are saying fly fishing is a none entity of a branch of fishing! it's clear I have my answer then regarding carp fishing the thrill of the chase and the skill required to catch within the bounds of presenting a "bait" (I.e coarse fishing Ledgering whatever you want to call it ) is irrelevant so long as we catch a fish anything goes. I can't believe the same anglers on here launched into a leadcore and braid debate like the use of toasters had been muted, yet it is ok to trail long lengths of mono with hooks suspended mid water to provoke an aggressive feeding reaction. You all positively defend this despite the obvious and proven dangers of widespread use of the method, however I'm not disputing the method as such I'm saying it does not feel like it's a fair way to catch and still class it in the same vein of angling it is fly fishing of a sort! and to me involves unnecessary unsafe methods if you want to suspend a fly mid water use a fly rod or at best use a float why use an anchored in some cases 4ft upwards Hooklength which will by its nature hook almost any contact fin tail flesh maybe mouth but hay who cares a carp on the bank is a carp on the bank.

And no if you have ever been fly fishing or fished for trout you will know that it is infinitely more difficult to catch on the fly as it requires infinitely more skill. As for being on the decline Id look around you first in the states it is even larger than it is here it's on the decline here due to greedy fishery owners charging way to much to fish and insisting on killing your catch to justify but that's a whole other argument. Clearly not for a carp forum as fly fishing is crap and all who do it plebs!

And no if you have ever been fly fishing or fished for trout you will know that it is infinitely more difficult to catch on the fly as it requires infinitely more skill. As for being on the decline Id look around you first in the states it is even larger than it is here it's on the decline here due to greedy fishery owners charging way to much to fish and insisting on killing your catch to justify but that's a whole other argument. Clearly not for a carp forum as fly fishing is stinky winky and all who do it plebs!

ok, so now you have my attention.

fly fishing is not on the decline, it is actually on the increase but only because ANGLERS are giving it a go as another way of presenting their baits to otherwise finicky fish. my mate reports that he sees it quite a lot with folk on the rivers but that's an aside.

what i DO take exception to is the "not for a carp forum"? "stinky winky"? Damn "plebs"? :twisted: :twisted:

i have been surface fishing for carp for years, probably longer than you have been alive but i use a fly rod to present my bait, i think it is a more adrenalin filled way of catching my target fish but that's just me eh? does that mean i have no right to publish those catches on here?

having put in more than 50 years of course fishing for different breeds using differing methods i do actually now class myself as a CARP ANGLER as they are now my sole target, i have used various methods of targeting that species except zig rigs.

zig rigs i cant get my head round and for that reason i don't use it, but i don't discount it either.

i also don't say that it shouldn't be topic material on here or that it is a method for "plebs" as that would be an ignorant and uninformed response to a method i don't understand.

see where i am coming from????

I don't understand this fishing within the bounds of presenting a bait?  whats that about?  I will float fish, ledger, zig, fly, surface, freeline - whichever is best suited to the situation, though you seem to be saying that some methods are ethically better than another. Bait should be whatever they are eating not what you want them to eat within your bounds, the fact that I could chod rig a fake snail over silk weed or zig a fake tadpole next to the reeds in spring are good advances.

On your low stocked pits there are explosions of natural food that go on for weeks on end, fishing a boilie on the bottom at these times is futile - why wouldn't you zig a bit of black foam?  I've not foul hooked any - so whats wrong with it?  They are on a hatch - adapt or go home a failure. 

It has been said on here that surface fishing is cheating - maybe by people who are no good at it.

...it's clear I have my answer then regarding carp fishing the thrill of the chase and the skill required to catch within the bounds of presenting a "bait" (I.e coarse fishing Ledgering whatever you want to call it ) is irrelevant so long as we catch a fish anything goes.

It's clear that because people didn't agree with you, you are twisting the content of the posts to come up with ore and more extreme reasons which are only cheapening your posts.

...yet it is ok to trail long lengths of mono with hooks suspended mid water to provoke an aggressive feeding reaction. You all positively defend this despite the obvious and proven dangers of widespread use of the method...

There are no obvious and proven dangers. It's the same as float fishing where people trail long lengths of mono to suspend a bait mid water... No reasoning to your argument, and no evidence to support wild claims.

...to me involves unnecessary unsafe methods if you want to suspend a fly mid water use a fly rod or at best use a float...

This statement is so contradictory it's unbelievable. Use a fly rod or a float to fish EXACTLY the same way as zig fishing and that's fine but put it on a carp rod and it's unethical, dangerous and wrong :confused:

...why use an anchored in some cases 4ft upwards Hooklength which will by its nature hook almost any contact fin tail flesh maybe mouth but hay who cares a carp on the bank is a carp on the bank.

It's possible, although unfortunate, to foul hook a fish by using any method. It's no more likely with a zig than float fishing or fly fishing.

You have added the point 'anchored' to this post to try and give your argument credence but it does not. You feel it is acceptable to fish mid water using any other method except a zig. Your logic and your argument are flawed.

...Clearly not for a carp forum as fly fishing is stinky winky and all who do it plebs!

You should have a read around the site. There are a few on here that fly fish for carp regularly :wink:

You are taking a couple of statements that have been made, mainly, it is obvious to everyone, because of rising tempers (For want of a better expression) and are using them to paint everyone with the same broad brush.

It seems, with the increasing cynicism and tone of your posts that you are getting irate so I apologise if I have been contributed to that.

I won't be posting on this post anymore as it is fast turning from an interesting debate into farcical name calling. I'm not interested in that :wink:

You are taking a couple of statements that have been made, mainly, it is obvious to everyone, because of rising tempers (For want of a better expression) and are using them to paint everyone with the same broad brush.

It seems, with the increasing cynicism and tone of your posts that you are getting irate so I apologise if I have been contributed to that.

I won't be posting on this post anymore as it is fast turning from an interesting debate into farcical name calling. :wink:

I felt the same way yesterday morning after reading Fishbits' opening statement , the first sentence of which clearly implied that he knew full well which direction this thread would head.

It was the most blatent piece of online "fishing" that i've ever seen on here in my 8 years of membership and i cant believe i got sucked in .

As Kev , recently , and pretty much everybody else has said , horses for courses .

Drayton , and similar puddles , i would never ever fish anyway let alone Zig there .

Anything else is fair game provided what i consider to be safe is applied .

Again , that is a matter of opinion explaining why we get the heared Leadcore and Leader or not threads .

This thread though , was a clear session in which The OP blanked big time .

same with me, but I might add, the problem at Drayton is they are not carp anglers, match fishermen exploiting our quarry with ruthless intent and getting zigging a bad name, hope they all fall in , showing my own prejudice now.

Maybe so but only because you are showing concern for the fish

you have to see it to believe it , Tim, Drayton and they way they fish is disgusting, Alders Farm at MK, three hundred pounds easy on the day , one rod, it aint fishing mate, they are trying to beat their beer swilling mate 50 yards away, tip all the dead fish back in the water and go off in their coach chuckling to the nearest pub, sickening, if that's fishing, I would pack up.

The place I spent most of last year fishing can be like that, the fish are in good condition, but some of the other anglers on there are complete idiots, match style carp fishing seems to be the norm, what's the point in going out specimen fishing only to feed a swim in a match style with the hope of fishing a large shoal of fish with the chance of having the odd 20lb fish out.

It's enough to make me want to go back to Kingsbury.

I've posted once in the last three years.

Felt the need to log in to tell the original poster he's talking out his backside.

See you all in another 3 years  :wink:

P.S. Hi Kev! Hope you're still banking some whackers!

Hope it's quicker than 3 years before your next post. Miss your posts, but know you are busy cycling, and falling off.

Yeah can't get out on the bike with a bust wrist. Luckily there's 6 months before the British National Hill Climb i'm hoping to qualify for.

Keep debating getting the rods out again, maybe on the Trent come open season now i live close to the banks.

Hi Courtz - hope you are all good!

Like you it takes a particularly silly post that forces me to log in to rubbish it.

Get those rods out mate - the Trent is calling.

Whackers - of course :wink:

also going France for the first time later this year - fingers crossed for a beast, but a pasty would be a French PB.\

Look after yourself - tight lines