Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Ddgx

Night advice

I haven't been night fishing since the year... I can't remember. All my fishing since I started going again regularly has been day sessions but I'm becoming increasingly aware that even if only to get a decent swim on a Saturday I might need to start arriving Friday afternoon. Aside from a sleeping bag and torches, what other equipment is essential / recommended that I might not have thought of? Also any other advice for being safe myself, or fishing in a way that keeps the fish safest. I also need to go find the thread about over wraps and bivvies. As I only have a brolly system with no over wrap which I think is asking for condensation?

cooking/tea making equipment is always the first thing for an overnighter :wink:  besides that something comfortable to sleep on that's off the ground, make sure all your gear is in a place you can find it easily in the night and out the way so nothing can be stood on and broken. spare batteries for torches and alarms, if your alarm is going to run out of battery it will always be sods law in the middle of the night when the lakes all locked up. if you're a clumsy sod like myself and feel you're likely to slip into the water when running for a take you can buy motion sensor lights that light the bank up i believe prologic do a version. hot drinks are a must as if the temp drops you have a way of warming yourself up a little. marker elastic that's florescent and try using something that will stand out at night to cast to so re-baiting at night is a little easier. if you're spodding try to get a bit more bait out before the light completely drops as trying to spod in the pitch black is going to be a living nightmare for most. and the most important advise is to have fun no matter how much icicles have formed around your nuts from the lovely British weather :lol:

You don't need an overwrap, a brolly is fine. 

Get a headtorch.

A decent thermos flask...it's sometimes easier than carrying cooking equipment.

Have a system whereby you know where all your essential stuff is, weigh sling, scales, forceps, camera etc.

Warm socks and some spare warm socks.

keep all non essentials under your bedchair, make sure your footwears in position to put straight on(something that just slips on is ideal), have your headtorch in the top spokes of your brolley so you can grab on your way out, dont turn it on unless you really need it,its surprising how well you can see in the dark without one. keep all edibles and bait off the floor and secure. if you use a spod and marker break it down and store behind your bedchair.

Thanks guys. Looking through the list of essentials, it looks like the sleeping bag is about the only thing I don't have. That and some fabsil and a stove guard. Anyone recommend a bag suitable for spring, summer and autumn? I like the idea of straps to keep it on the chair, but I'm on a tight budget. :( I've spent a small fortune since I started again, anymore new expensive equipment and I'm going to find myself wifeless :)

CM, are you talking about a separate net to go over the bed? or? My brolly has meshed windows.

Stupid question time - who zips their bivvy door shut? Do you want to make sure you can get out as quick as possible even when it's chilly out? I imagine is just depends on how cold out it is on any given night?

Someone mentioned having your headtorch in the spokes, even better, sleep with the strap around your wrist, then when you blunder out into the night and find yourself hanging onto a bent rod, you'll have it right there to hand!

The shoes is a good point too, have easy to slip on footwear at exactly the right place to swing your legs out of bed, and into the shoes. It becomes second nature after a while.

Bivvy door down? Never!

My budget, pfff I'm not sure what's realistic but I guess I've seen bags for 30/40. Whether they are any cop though is a different story I'm sure. Footwear that's easy to slip on; it sounds like you're suggesting I take my slippers along :P suggestion accepted!!

My budget, pfff I'm not sure what's realistic but I guess I've seen bags for 30/40. Whether they are any cop though is a different story I'm sure. Footwear that's easy to slip on; it sounds like you're suggesting I take my slippers along :P suggestion accepted!!

Dan , Dal suggestion looks like a decent option matey .

I know what its like trying to get gear on a budget , i'm lucky that i got most of my gear when i did .

Sleeping bags can be aquired at a reasonable cost if you avoid fishing tackle shops , somewhere like go outdoors or Decathlon is ideal and gas been said , ex-military may be the way to go but a if you are going to be a fairweather fisherman :):wink: then a 3 season and old blanket on top will do you mate ....

Don't get me wrong I'd fish in winter. I fished all through it this year :wink: 2nd January even. I had it in my head that a 4 season was going to be out of my budget for the time being and as we're just departing winter a 3 season seemed appropriate. That one from sports direct looks alright however, I like the practicality of it having hoods and a strap so it isn't following me out of the door when I'm leaping out to grab a rod. I had a chance earlier to look around; on angling direct they've got an advanta sleepcell 4 season which is £40. Trakker big snooze plus £50 and a fox one (evo) for £50. They don't seem to be rated by 'tog' or anything I recognise so I don't feel equipped to make a judgement or compare them. Is there any value in seeing them in person?

Probably not .

The Trakker is very popular but i've read mixed reviews and never heard about the fox but if your prepared to go to £50. Then any half decent fishing brand will do you mate .

I have a JRC 4 season and cover but i've never had to use the cover in winter so far .

I've found if your wearing the right stuff then 4 season is sufficient for all year round .

In the summer i use a wychwood 3 season and take the JRC cover just in case .

£50 gives you luxury in Decathlon though :wink: