Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nigewoodcock

Bite indication with chod rigs. Slack vs tight

In the following videos, which are just a basic test in the bath, you can see the results of indication from chod rigs. I used a piece of foil on the line to show registration. I set the chod up the same as I would if I was fishing it.

Test 1 - tight line

As you can see from the video, the first thing you find is that the rig sits well above the deck on the tight line.

I moved the rig towards the rod - no movement of foil (no indication)

I moved the rig away from the rod - no movement of foil.

The first time I got any indication was when the rig came into contact with the lead, moving away from the rod.

Test 2 - slack line, rig moved towards the rod

As soon as the rig was moved, the foil shot forwards giving positive indication. This was before the rig even hit the top bead, so in effect, before the fish would feel any resistance.

With this in mind, if the fish swims towards you, normally a drop back bite, you would still get a lift on the bobbin as a positive indication.

Test 3 - slack line, rig moved away from rod

As soon as the rig was moved, again the foil shot forwards giving positive bite indication. This was before the rig came into contact with the lead, again, the fish feeling no resistance but still giving a positive lift of the bobbin.

You can see from the slack line videos that I only move the rig a couple of inches. What you can't see as the focal length of my iPad isnt great, is how fast the foil (bobbin) shoots forwards when the rig is moved in any direction.

I also did a test with a back lead, that too gave positive indication when the rig was moved in either direction. It was even greater when the rig was moved away from the rod.

I know that this is only over a short distance as compared to real fishing terms but the mechanics would still be the same whilst fishing, as I have found in real life! Believe me, I used to fish this rig a lot on both horseshoe and a very silty mere.

Edited by salokcinnodrog
Edited to remove a censored typo

I was fishing a chod last night, had two or three definite bites, two or three beeps on the alarm and a lift on the bobbin, but no proper take, going to have to work on that. I was using a fox chod bead set, there is no movement with the hook when the fish first takes it, would it work better with a running chod? something with an inch or two movement in the hook rig, they must be feeling the weight when they first take it, they are shy biting everything at the moment, it was the same for my bottom bait rod, it's like they are not really interested in a bait, but if they see it they will have a slight nibble.

In the following videos, which are just a basic test in the bath, you can see the results of indication from chod rigs. I used a piece of foil on the line to show registration. I set the chod up the same as I would if I was fishing it.

Test 1 - tight line

As you can see from the video, the first thing you find is that the rig sits well above the deck on the tight line.

I moved the rig towards the rod - no movement of foil (no indication)

I moved the rig away from the rod - no movement of foil.

The first time I got any indication was when the rig came into contact with the lead, moving away from the rod.

Test 2 - slack line, rig moved towards the rod

As soon as the rig was moved, the foil shot forwards giving positive indication. This was before the rig even hit the top bead, so in effect, before the fish would feel any resistance.

With this in mind, if the fish swims towards you, normally a drop back bite, you would still get a lift on the bobbin as a positive indication.

Test 3 - slack line, rig moved away from rod

As soon as the rig was moved, again the foil shot forwards giving positive bite indication. This was before the rig came into contact with the lead, again, the fish feeling no resistance but still giving a positive lift of the bobbin.

You can see from the slack line videos that I only move the rig a couple of inches. What you can't see as the focal length of my iPad isnt great, is how fast the foil (bobbin) shoots forwards when the rig is moved in any direction.

I also did a test with a back lead, that too gave positive indication when the rig was moved in either direction. It was even greater when the rig was moved away from the rod.

I know that this is only over a short distance as compared to real fishing terms but the mechanics would still be the same whilst fishing, as I have found in real life! Believe me, I used to fish this rig a lot on both horseshoe and a very silty mere.

Never doubted you on this one Nige .

Only thing i can add is that i have had the odd occasion where i have had fish on with NO indication whatsoever . Bream . And knew nothing about it until i was retreiving it .

In both instances my line was VERY slack and on tightening the line slightly the problem was eradicated .

Any thoughts on that little scenario ?

(Re the other thread though , i cannot see how slack lines can be of any benefit on a semi-fixed lead clip set up, just saying :))

Edited by newmarket

doesn't Pythagorus come into play here Nige, the depth, the distance, and the profile of the bottom, there is no doubt this rig works a treat but there are many variables to its effectiveness, consider line stretch and undertow with slack lines especially at range, you may be right, at least you have tested your theory but Nick may be right for his own scenario.

Undertow - I fush a tighter line with a back lead as mentioned in another thread. Seems to work just fine.

Line stretch - the line needs to be pulling tight against something before it will stretch, fishing it this way gives indication before any resistance is felt from either the lead or the clutch.

Yes mate, there are a number of other variables like weed, distance and depth but as said, the mechanics should still be the same.

It's basically giving you the same situation as a running lead set up with a slack line. The bobbin moves before the lead. Unless it's a really fast take - your gonna get a screamer then anyway!! Lol

I use semi slack lines with semi fixed rigs and I no it gives decent enough indication because with in seconds of a coot diveing i get a positive indication if it picks up my hook bait and the coot drops it intantly and comes up very close to ware it dived down.

This thread appears to have gone a bit quiet the last coupla days so hope nobody minds if i post this question ?

Sod all to do with Chods but it IS on the slack /tight line theme so hope its ok .

Swimfeeders . Not method feeder , just general common or garden swimfeeders , whatever your fishing for .

Does the slack line thing work with those ?

Just a thought thats all :wink:

Mmm interesting . So suppose in theory , the quiver tip was dispensed with in favour of ,say, a light Carp rod using a bobbin for indication instead and a swimfeeder instead of a running lead then it would be the same as i usually fish ?

Theres a Commercial not far from me that has some BIG slabs of slime and a few Striipeys to 4lb+ that i fancy having a go at , just a case of scaling down i spose :wink:

Just fancy a change and day sessions are looking favourite for me at the moment .

Nobody fishes for 'em and it looks a good opportunity .

Everyone feeds 'em though :)

Yeh i know they are there . Its the sort of place where Carpers turn up , no swims available so they bivvy up on the match lake for the Weekend :) :) :)

The margins are deadly on monday mornings :wink:

Just fancy a change and day sessions are looking favourite for me at the moment .

Nobody fishes for 'em and it looks a good opportunity .

Everyone feeds 'em though :)

im thinkin along the same lines,the carp should be spawning next week so one more session then thats me done til the back end of the year.i fancy catching a few of the tench n bream ive been inadvertantly feeding up.

Nige good test in many ways , although you do seem to appear to move the tight line chod test far smoother up and down the line than you did the slack line ?

You know who's brain I've picked over the years regarding the chod and he wouldn't dream of fishing on a tight line and neither would I , because it's the only way to guarantee its on the deck . Although using a heavy braid or leadcore will obviously help with that and could probably mean you could fish a tighter line ? But I still fish slack when I use pin down or solar unleaded.

I dislike using back leads with them but sometimes we have to because of the conditions.

For me whether your fishing them naked or on a leader of some sort fishing slack is the only way to insure that's it's on the deck and your pop ups at the correct height / position.

Good test though mate 8)

I, see what your saying interesting .

What the test definitely shows is good indication on a slack line which is good to know .

It can be so hard to know just how slack you need to be to insure it's all fishing correctly especially when the bottoms like an egg box .

is it not more likely that a fish would move at a perpendicilar or diagonal angle to the line? Its not likely to move perfectly in the direction of the leader?

I cant see what difference it makes which direction the Carp kites off in ?