River Season

salokcinnodrog

Is anyone planning on fishing the start of the river season on June 16th?

I'm thinking of getting the Avon rod out for chub, and maybe a roach or two.

Slightly upset that one of my river stretches has had 'no fishing' signs put up, but it makes me think about some other spots where I have seen some big chub in the past, and some spots with very limited access, and a long walk.

Got some sweet corn ready, maybe a bit of truncheon meat, all sorted?

I am working then got a family holiday when I should be on the Wye angling for specimen Barbel and Chub.

I think I'll put my river gear in the roof box and stop and do a few hours if I can. Not the Wye though it's a bit of a trek, the upper Avon somewhere hopefully.

Good luck everyone that gets out though!

Edited by rosstheangler

Yes, A friend is taking me to the Suffolk stour on Tuesday (16th). He knows it well and I haven't been this excited about a fishing trip in ages. Chubb, roach, etc in the day, late afternoon apparently we're going on to a spot or two to try find some carp /barbel. Feel like a kid again, can't wait!

Yes, A friend is taking me to the Suffolk stour on Tuesday (16th). He knows it well and I haven't been this excited about a fishing trip in ages. Chubb, roach, etc in the day, late afternoon apparently we're going on to a spot or two to try find some carp /barbel. Feel like a kid again, can't wait!

I know some of the carp spots, have caught a couple, but the barbel eluded me, but I don't know it well enough.

I hope you have a good day.

I sorted reel line out today, a few new arlesey bombs in smaller sizes and some clip beads. I was planning on going at midnight, but that may be a struggle after working and finishing at 9.

I've just been reading the other thread about that guy ending up in court for fishing out of bounds. I don't know the stour at all but i do know it's a mix of syndicates, clubs with some day ticket sections, free and completely out of bounds areas. I gotta say I'm really nervous about straying somewhere i shouldn't now :( my new fishing buddy is my guide but I know he hasn't been there in some years so I hope things (permissions wise) haven't changed too much.

We had a few more roach, spent quite a chunk of the middle of the day doing a reccy of other bits of the stour. We had a tip from a kind gentleman on the forum and also a guy in the local tackle shop on where we might find carp. We think we may have spotted one little common, and definitely loads more really good size chub. In the end without signs of bigger fish and a little put off by the prolific cabbage in the river we drove back closer to home to fish that little Estate pond I've mentioned previously. Where both of us came painfully painfully close to hooking a few off the surface, bait in mouth but not hooked close, after that they sussed what was up and vanished. But had a cracking day all round! Just booked taverham mills for the end of July and that has the wensum right next to it which I know has done 5lb chub this week so I'm sure we will have a crack at that too!

We had a few more roach, spent quite a chunk of the middle of the day doing a reccy of other bits of the stour. We had a tip from a kind gentleman on the forum and also a guy in the local tackle shop on where we might find carp. We think we may have spotted one little common, and definitely loads more really good size chub. In the end without signs of bigger fish and a little put off by the prolific cabbage in the river we drove back closer to home to fish that little Estate pond I've mentioned previously. Where both of us came painfully painfully close to hooking a few off the surface, bait in mouth but not hooked close, after that they sussed what was up and vanished. But had a cracking day all round! Just booked taverham mills for the end of July and that has the wensum right next to it which I know has done 5lb chub this week so I'm sure we will have a crack at that too!

Good luck to you Danny , exciting innit :)

Give the two mill ponds a crack, and I know that there are a couple of carp in there, although some of the chub in the lodge and field sections are very wary.

There were some big barbel around the area as well.

My start was just a couple of small chub, hooked on slugs, but every angler and his dog was doing what I did that day 16th.

Hi again Nick! Now because our geographical knowledge was non existent until we arrived in sudbury that day we had a fun old time marching across fields trying to decide if we were where we thought we wanted to be :) Are the mills ponds you're talking about 1. Where brundon lane crosses and 2. Near Croft road? Or am I now way off? Interesting because we a spotted below one of the foot bridges where someone had done a bit of baiting with some boilies. We figured we were close but with all of the cabbage (and there is sooooo much cabbage) we weren't lucky enough to spot anything this time with 100% certainty. That much cabbage would need some serious thought in terms of getting fish banked safely, braided mainline? Drop off leads? Waders? Boat? Never seen anything like it!

Edited by Ddgx