when I was younger me and a mate was night fishing and about 3am we hear a strange noise and see a shadow that looks like a man holding an axe we run out of the bivi both holding torches. I don't know who was more scared us or the drunk man trying to find his swim holding his bait stick with a boilie bag hanging from it.

Back in about 1978 a friend and I travelled up north to my home town to do some duck hunting and we camped at the small local lake 2 miles away. There was no one else there and after it got dark we were sitting at a picnic table having a beer before turning in. Suddenly my friend pointed to something behind me and said "What's that?" I looked and saw a light shining through the trees. I listed and discounted all the possibilities for him; it wasn't a car because that wasn't where the road was, it wasn't a farm because there was no farm house in that direction, it wasn't the bootlegger tending his still because that was in the opposite direction... As we watched, the light seemed to be coming closer and moving slowly and splitting into the rough shapes of arms, legs, torso. My friend became very agitated, "Lets get the heck out of here!", he said. He was really getting scared by now and the thing kept getting bigger and coming closer. I got my shotgun out of the car, loaded it and put it on the table. I said "Alfie, the worst thing that could be is an evil spirit, and if that's what it is there's nothing we can do about it. If it's anything else we can deal with it." He still wanted to run. For a good 10 - 15 minutes the thing kept growing and getting closer. Then I realised what was happening and started to laugh (Alfie wasn't amused), "I know what that is", I said, "and if you give me a dollar I'll tell you."

"Never mind!" he replied, near panic by now, "Let's just get in the car and get out of here!"

"Alfie, that is the moon coming up and shining through the trees making those weird shapes, and the higher it gets the closer it seems to be coming." I unloaded the gun and put it away, and thought about what our primative ancestors must have thought the first time they saw the moon rise.

Around 6 years ago my mother gave me a really old painting, that's when things got weird, it was positioned above the fireplace, I went out,came back in and painting was still on its hook but sideways(portrait to landscape) bear in mind I lived on my own, scared the hell out of me.

Another time I was sat in my front room watching telly and my front door handle started moving down and back up very slowly, I lived in a converted house, 2 flats only, my neighbour was away so it was little old me there, I threw the door open as it did it again and no one was there, now I'm fteaking out.

Next day I came home to find my kitchen cupboards all open!

Needless to say picture went back to my mothers!!, I returned it and she said it was her great grandmothers, she said she never liked the picture! Cheers mum!

I've had a few very "Interesting" nights out on the bank I can tell you!

There is something about being out in the middle of nowhere, at night, that gets the mind working in strange ways, but sometimes you just know that it's more than what's in your head.

I've posted a couple of stories on another forum that I frequent, below being more of a lighthearted one, but 100% true:-

I had an interesting night once with a mate on a "Non Fishing Private Estate Lake" where we managed to get ourselves safely in the grounds and onto an island during darkness. (No moon, of course!)

All the tackle in coat pockets, one rod each out under the marginal trees and sat back to wait for the inevitable "Easy" big carp that we knew (And had seen whilst ahem, feeding the ducks...) were in there.

After about half hour matey leans over and says, "Can you see those red dots moving around the lake?" and sure enough there are a pair of faint amber/red dots floating around the side of the lake towards our end where the island is.

Well we started to get a bit twitchy and decided to reel in ready for the off, so in comes the end tackle but as soon as we moved the dots stopped dead and there is a long, guttural low growl like we'd never heard.

That was it, we just turned round with the terminal gear still hanging off the tips and ran for our lives, everthing else forgotten!
We managed to get off the island without drowning, jumped over the 2 walls to get outside the grounds and ran the 1/2 mile or so to where the car was.
2 trashed rods, various scattered and lost tackle items, soaked legs and a torn jacket later, we sat in the car a few miles down the road and decided that it was "Probably" just a very big dog, but....
Never been back at night!

This one is a bit more sinister and much more scary, as I was young and and my own!

I was 15, very much an outdoors kid, fishing a canal about 20 miles from home where I'd been dropped off by my dad. October time so not that cold but well into autum.

Got set up well before dark on the non towpath side and settled down with everything nailed to the floor and tied to the trees for a windy night.

Sometime in the night I woke up, probably as the wind was so bad and flapping the overwrap around (This is in the days of a 50" and wrap) so I got out and did a circuit checking the pegs and guy ropes.

As I got back around to the front of the bivvy, for some reason I felt like I'd been watched so I leaned in and grabbed the Petzl.
As I shone it into the trees I suddenly got this horrible and overwhelming feeling, like something was telling me in my head. Dont do that! All the hairs on my arms and neck went up and I just had this unquestionable feeling that something was observing me that was dangerous somehow and it REALLY didn't want to be seen.

There were no funny noises, I didn't see anything and nothing actually happened, but I was completely terrified and couldn't move for several seconds, feeling like a rabbit in the headlights.
I'm ashamed to say that I didn't even reel in the rods, I just ran along the bank towards the boatyard about 1/2 mile away, got inside one of the boats and stayed there until it was light.

I fished that canal for years and had some other wierd/funny things happen, but nothing compares.

Nothing ghostly on the bank but earliest memory is of laying in my cot and being petrified as I could see white smoke in my room. I remember it clear as day but couldnt have been older than 3 years. About a year after we moved out of the house my brother randomly met the buyers and they asked him if the house was haunted because they had ornaments apparently thrown across the room.....

The best one I've had is much like buzzbombs moon. I work up at home hearing a strange wurring noise outside I looked in the garden and there was an orange glowing light floating just off the lawn, I freaked and woke up the wife who freaked even more and made me go investigate. I seriously thought it was a crashed ufo, but as I got closer I was it was my boys toy chainsaw that had been left out and the moisture had set the electrics off!!

Nothing ghostly on the bank but earliest memory is of laying in my cot and being petrified as I could see white smoke in my room. I remember it clear as day but couldnt have been older than 3 years. About a year after we moved out of the house my brother randomly met the buyers and they asked him if the house was haunted because they had ornaments apparently thrown across the room.....

The best one I've had is much like buzzbombs moon. I work up at home hearing a strange wurring noise outside I looked in the garden and there was an orange glowing light floating just off the lawn, I freaked and woke up the wife who freaked even more and made me go investigate. I seriously thought it was a crashed ufo, but as I got closer I was it was my boys toy chainsaw that had been left out and the moisture had set the electrics off!!

Brilliant !

Edited by tapenhall

At Barham I have had a couple of weird moments.

A mate and I were night fishing, 2 brollies pushed together. About 1 in the morning we saw a white figure walking along the footpath behind our shelter. Despite following, we couldn't find where he had gone, running along the bank to catch up we found no-one.

On another occasion on the same lake I woke up, wide awake I found myself totally pinned down, unable to move on my bedchair, with a voice felt like it was telling me to stay there.

This feeling lasted a good few minutes before I could move again.

I woke up, wide awake I found myself totally pinned down, unable to move on my bedchair, with a voice felt like it was telling me to stay there.

This feeling lasted a good few minutes before I could move again.

I've had that more than once, horrible, horrible feeling!

I'd love to know what that is, some kind of random errant brain activity?

I fished on a small syndicate for a few seasons in my early 20's in the grounds of a huge ancient castle, and I've lost count of all the odd things we used to see and hear, so I rarely get spooked nowadays.

Couple of times that come to mind:-

One summer night fishing an area of the main "Moat" with a smaller canal like stretch of moat behind the bivvy. Around 1am I wake up and there is a sound of waves lapping, yet it's a totally calm night and the lake I'm fishing is like a mirror. When I get out and look behind, there is this big wake going along the middle of the water, causing the whole length to rock and waves to slap the margins. The cut was only about 3ft deep and maybe 20 yards wide, I have no idea to this day what that was.

Fishing another part of the moat with a mate another time, tucked into the bushes as we were on the non fishing bank.

Just as it was getting dark we could hear this slow rustling sound from up behind some broken rocks where an old defence wall used to be. It would start slowly, get louder then it would stop, then another slow scratching rustle, then stop. This went on for a minute or so and was definitely not the wind as it was calm like it usually goes on dusk in the summer. When we stood up for a look it would stop all together. After about maybe 5 mins it just stopped and that was it...

It sounded for all the world like something being dragged along through the brambles, but neither of us was brave enough to go take a look!

There was the usual rumour about the castle being haunted by an old lady (Of course!) and we saw loads of funny shadows off the water etc, but I have definitely seen something that shouldn't have been possible on more than one occasion, where a pitch black shadow that was somehow darker than the night, would pass over a section of wall or doorway and you would just stare at it until it suddenly seemed to "Melt" into the stone, and a couple of times I've seen what looked like movement up in the top battlements at night.

I could spend hours telling stories about that place!

REM (Rapid Eye Movement) Sleep paralysis, sometime called Locked-in Syndrome and a lot of other things that I can't spell.

It is frightening, especially when you wake and can't breathe or move.

It has something to do with oxygen not reaching the brain - or not enough would be better to say. (lay-mans terms)

Sleeping position has a small part to play in this condition as well, apparently.

REM (Rapid Eye Movement) Sleep paralysis, sometime called Locked-in Syndrome and a lot of other things that I can't spell.

It is frightening, especially when you wake and can't breathe or move.

It has something to do with oxygen not reaching the brain - or not enough would be better to say. (lay-mans terms)

Sleeping position has a small part to play in this condition as well, apparently.

Sounds right to me, I normally sleep on my side but this only ever happens when I'm on my back,sometimes I'm trying to scream but a can't move and no sound comes out , pretty scary.