Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
natas

Carp in large waters

Anyone on here fish large English waters for carp say 1000 to 1500 acres ?

I have a local dam to me that a few of us fish it's 1300 acres, I have about 1000 questions in my head so would love to chat with people who have been there, done that on a water of this size. There is only about 8 people that I know of fishing it so experience is kinda limited lol

Anyone on here fish large English waters for carp say 1000 to 1500 acres ?

I have a local dam to me that a few of us fish it's 1300 acres, I have about 1000 questions in my head so would love to chat with people who have been there, done that on a water of this size. There is only about 8 people that I know of fishing it so experience is kinda limited lol

its been said a million times but locations the key,big waters or small. get to know the stock level so your not setting your sights to high with regards how many fish a season your aiming for. try big wide spreads of boilies to narrow the areas down over using tightly spodded areas unless your able to observe their patterns of movement. with bigger pits theyve normaly got some kind of boating activity on them so see if theres a way you can get yourself afloat and have a look round from above,better than any amount of marker work. and just because its a big pit dosnt mean the fish will always be at range,youd be a fool to ignore the margins,best feature on any lake imo.

The margins are a great area to fish on the lake but then I have spots where I can see fish in the top 4 ish foot of water but it's 65 feet deep there, steep banks and not very bivvy friendly. I did go and get myself a boat at the start of the year and I must say they are a big eye opener I'm after finding some very nice spots with it, the only down side I have now is there is way to many nice spots and not enough time to fish them all :) 

Last summer if 3 of us went out for the weekend we could expect about 2 fish between us but so far this year I'm struggling on it, 10 nights done so far with a few day sessions and not a fish on the matt.

If I were to approach that, (Without seeing the water obviously) I'd spend as many hours up a tree as possible with polaroids on, find out where the carp feel comfortable hanging out, then start baiting a couple of parts of the area that are fishable.

Get some cheap particles/pellet etc and keep it going in as often as possible. Then fish it when the time is right.

I know a guy who fished a real headbanger reservoir local to me, 500+ acres, he spent around 9 months watching and baiting, then caught most of the big fish in a few weeks at the end of the autumn.

The margins are a great area to fish on the lake but then I have spots where I can see fish in the top 4 ish foot of water but it's 65 feet deep there, steep banks and not very bivvy friendly. I did go and get myself a boat at the start of the year and I must say they are a big eye opener I'm after finding some very nice spots with it, the only down side I have now is there is way to many nice spots and not enough time to fish them all :)

Last summer if 3 of us went out for the weekend we could expect about 2 fish between us but so far this year I'm struggling on it, 10 nights done so far with a few day sessions and not a fish on the matt.

seeing em and seeing em feed are two different things, as for depths of 65ft id give em a swerve,minimal if any naturals. get out in a boat and bait numerous spots then look for the cleanest spots prior to fishing and fish them. 2 fish between 9 rods over a weekend dosnt sound bad going to me and a 10 night blank on a pit of that size isnt anything to be concerned about.

I should also say the place is full of other fish so baiting up spots to see if it's gone is a waste of time, Last time out I was putting 5lb of particle on each rod with some boilies each night and they were gone in the morning but no runs :(

This is the first year I have struggled to catch fish here and it's really getting to me. Every year I went looking for fish coming up to spawning I have found them in more or less the same place, this year the most I spotted there was only 4 fish compared to 60 or 80 previously it's as if the whole lake has changed this year.

They have been spotted a few times but that cant be the problem as others are catching, I must be jinxed for now.

Gonna return to my roots for my next session and fish the area I got my first carp from the water, it's fished all the time by the bream lads so will bait it up during the week and try fish Friday till sunday. wish me luck :)

Must admit I've not fished anything bigger than 160acres, and don't know where there is a larger water than that.

My view on any water is spend as much time watching and walking as you can, prebait a few areas you have seen carp in previously, work on wind and weather, then fish those areas.

The main problem on any larger water is reaching the fish, either casting or boating baits out.