Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Mr TightLines

Simple Safe Rigs + New Rods

I've been carp fishing for a couple of years, catching carp up to around 12lb.

I'm looking to update a bit of my kit as I'm moving to bigger venues from the typical acre sized lakes which you can almost guarantee a catch. I've had a shot at about 10 or so 24hr sessions at various lakes and am now looking for a safe (in terms of fish welfare) and simple but effective rig I can use on most lakes. I won't be casting great distances if this matters. I use cell boilies usually which I pull out of the freezer- think they pop up?

This is the rig I normally use- it's very quick and easy to make. [ http://www.masterblanker.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/beginners011_resize.jpg ]

I use braid on the section between the hook & swivel. I use line often from 10-12lb, sometimes as high as 15lb. Think some of it is Pro Gold line, and Diawa sensor. I use the Korum KXI60 reels on both my rods, these reels cost £50 each and I love them- they're smart looking and feel great.

I've seen posts before about Sonik rods, Black Widows and others such as Chub outkasts. My limit for a pair is about £60, maybe a bit more if they're worth it. 

In summary, I'd like some advice on:

1. An all round rig which is fish safe and tangle-proof (if that's possible!)

2. A pair of rods which will last me a while. I've got 2.5tc at the moment.

Thanks!

I hear good things about the sonik sks black rods they look pretty good to me.

Fox warrior are also a great rod within your budget.

If you are fishing larger waters maybe go 3lb t/c so if you want to fish solid bags or heavy leads it will get it out there comfortably.

As for rigs I think you can't go wrong with a blowback rig. I use a coated braid stripped back 1cm below the hook. Instead of a rig ring I use a small piece of silicone tubing so I can adjust the length of the hair to the size of the bait, I also put on a hook aligner. Simple but effective :wink:

OK. I'll put my opinion in, but be warned - it will be thought of as wrong by pretty much everyone on here.

Rods:

Don't get two rods. Get one rod. Don't get a "carp rod" -  get an Avon rod instead. I use a 1.75lb for pretty much all carp fishing. An Avon rod has a progressive action, so I can easily cast 3 or 4 AAA's 40+ vards, I can haul 20lb+ fish out of weeds, and when the fish goes crazy at the net, the rod just nods away.... no lost fish. Also, with that rod, you have a rod which will do for pretty much ANY specimin fishing apart from pike ( because of huge weights to cast) and cats and eels (who'll just buckle the rod - too strong)

If you get 2 rods, then you'll be using two buzzers. And have 2x as much gear. And so be, at least, 2x less likely to move. The absolutely, honest to god, best way to catch carp is for the angler to go to the carp - not to wait for them to come to you. General carp fishing, for anything up to 24 hours, I just take a pocket full of bits, a bucket full of bait, 1x rod, 1x net and a unhooking net to sit on. I catch a lot more carp than most of my friends - but in absolutely no way because I am a better angler - but because my bait ends up in front of a lot more carp.

The mobile approach doesn't work for all fishing, but for carp it is WAY more productive. Also cheaper.

So - try fishing with one rod. Use the money that you don't spend for other stuff. 

Your rig is fine. 10 years ago it was the height of sophistication, and all sorts of hard core carpers were using it to catch huge fish. The fish haven't changed to the point where the rig ddoesn't work - just fashions have. But.... carp don't care about fashion.

Androo has given some sound advice , dont change what isnt broken just for the sake of it .

I know i keep saying it on here but my mickey mouse rods & reels , less than £50 the lot caught hundreds of carp .

As for your rigs , keep it simple and you wont go far wrong , not a lot wrong with what you use already . Maybe a larger run ring for your running lead and a larger hook (for that hookbait) .

Here's one of my typical simple rigs ( this ones uncoated braid but will work in anything you like , including your mainline).

Good luck to ya mate :wink:

38c4d5b30a7d3fe2bd0e9008c1d2c82a.jpg

OK. I'll put my opinion in, but be warned - it will be thought of as wrong by pretty much everyone on here.

Rods:

Don't get two rods. Get one rod. Don't get a "carp rod" -  get an Avon rod instead. I use a 1.75lb for pretty much all carp fishing. An Avon rod has a progressive action, so I can easily cast 3 or 4 AAA's 40+ vards, I can haul 20lb+ fish out of weeds, and when the fish goes crazy at the net, the rod just nods away.... no lost fish. Also, with that rod, you have a rod which will do for pretty much ANY specimin fishing apart from pike ( because of huge weights to cast) and cats and eels (who'll just buckle the rod - too strong)

If you get 2 rods, then you'll be using two buzzers. And have 2x as much gear. And so be, at least, 2x less likely to move. The absolutely, honest to god, best way to catch carp is for the angler to go to the carp - not to wait for them to come to you. General carp fishing, for anything up to 24 hours, I just take a pocket full of bits, a bucket full of bait, 1x rod, 1x net and a unhooking net to sit on. I catch a lot more carp than most of my friends - but in absolutely no way because I am a better angler - but because my bait ends up in front of a lot more carp.

The mobile approach doesn't work for all fishing, but for carp it is WAY more productive. Also cheaper.

So - try fishing with one rod. Use the money that you don't spend for other stuff. 

Your rig is fine. 10 years ago it was the height of sophistication, and all sorts of hard core carpers were using it to catch huge fish. The fish haven't changed to the point where the rig ddoesn't work - just fashions have. But.... carp don't care about fashion.

agreed,sitting behind 2/3 rods waiting it out for days is the fashionable way to fish for carp,but if you wanna actually catch carp and not look cool go with a single rod and find em, youl look a lot cooler with a carp on the mat.

Welcome to carp.com.

I have moved this thread into the New to the forum section :wink:

You make it slightly awkward to answer your post as you have two totally different questions on two totally different topics in one post, although you have ultimately received some very good advice from some very good anglers and forum members, and each answer is right, although very different.

Firstly, your rigs, you catch on them, simples, don't change what works, pretty much the only thing I change is the length of the rig, or the length of the hair

On this thread http://www.carp.com/topic/17282-carpcom-guide-to-the-knotless-knot-and-rigs/are some pretty simple rigs, and on this'un http://www.carp.com/topic/21289-favourite-rigs/ are the answers to some people favourite rigs.

There are years between the threads, but my rigs, pictured in both, are almost exactly the same, I have not changed much in those intervening years!

Stop worrying about faffing around with rigs, don't change rigs just because the latest fashion is the KD, or the Multi-rig, or the whatever latest fashion angler tells you. More fish are caught on basic rigs than any other complicated rigs, no matter what anyone tells you or recommends!

Really the only thing you will need to change is the rig or hair length.

Rods, there is a very important question you could answer yourself, which covers very much probably one of the best answers on this thread...

Are you intending to fish or turn up and cast in?

If you are intending to fish, then Slow Steve's answer is brilliant advice, use one rod, find the fish. The only difference between his and my answer is I prefer a 1.5lb tc rod for fishing. I used this for floater fishing, free lining and controller, chub fishing, carp stalking with float and lead.

Walking around the lake looking for fish works!

If you are taking the 2 rod approach, then get matching rods, although 2.5lb tc rods are getting harder to find and 2.75lb the basic minimum.

Anyone can recommend a rod, or manufacturer, be it Fox, Wychwood, Chub etc, even Shimano or Daiwa, all make good rods. My advice, go into a tackle shop and see what suits your pocket, your hands and your reels.

Look at the June Carp catches section of the forum, my mate Colin, using the same rods he has landed plenty of double figure fish on from local waters, came with me to a harder water, and landed his first ever 20. Same rigs, same reels, same rods, so in essence, there really is no need to change