Fishing with worms

Many many years ago i had a friend that did really well suspending worms (brandlings) just under the surface using a bubble float  :wink: ..... zigs paaaa lol  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Did this on a really deep water with adjustable "zigs" where I just rigged up a few slivers of red foam with worms either side, injected with air. Worked a treat!

Did this on a really deep water with adjustable "zigs" where I just rigged up a few slivers of red foam with worms either side, injected with air. Worked a treat!

I keep meaning to try Harry Charrington's ziggler rig, which after removing the marketing name for the rig is essential a standard zig aligna with a bunch of maggots threaded round the band so you have a bunch of wrigglers off the back of the foam but like you say would work just as well with worms. 

Two methods that work for me - depending on fish size and twitchiness.

Either use a Size 4, or maybe a size 2, large hook - I use the Raptor T-6, and hook directly. Use something like a fake maggot if you're using a barbless hook.

If you're fishing more twitchy fish, I prefer something like a size 8 Super Specimen fishing on a hair. The Korum QuikStop widgets are fantastic for hair rigging worms - pass them straight through the saddle. Use a long hair, and use a good ball of worms - 4,5 or 6 worms. Snap the tails off each one. You are aiming for something like a golf ball sized bait. You're looking at a hair maybe 2" long.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Two methods that work for me - depending on fish size and twitchiness.

Either use a Size 4, or maybe a size 2, large hook - I use the Raptor T-6, and hook directly. Use something like a fake maggot if you're using a barbless hook.

If you're fishing more twitchy fish, I prefer something like a size 8 Super Specimen fishing on a hair. The Korum QuikStop widgets are fantastic for hair rigging worms - pass them straight through the saddle. Use a long hair, and use a good ball of worms - 4,5 or 6 worms. Snap the tails off each one. You are aiming for something like a golf ball sized bait. You're looking at a hair maybe 2" long.

Hope this helps.

Steve

The lake I'm fishing at the moment doesn't allow barbed hooks or artificial baits :( the rig I've been using is a size 8 hair rig with coated braid and 2 worms with a piece of boilie on the end to stop the worms pulling through the boilie stop. I keep the hair coated so it's thicker because I was watching a video the other day and the guy was saying thin line/braid will basically rip through the worm easier when casting. I have had good success with this rig catching carp to 20lb :D just I find myself changing baits every 10 minutes lol. I'll have a look into quikstop widgets now, thanks :)

I simply hair rig a couple of lobworms, or several dendras, and use a piece of grass stem in place of a boilie stop.

I just love fishing with worms and I've had some very good results with them. I use a syringe to inject air into them if I want to increase buoyancy.

Ian

The lake I'm fishing at the moment doesn't allow barbed hooks or artificial baits :( the rig I've been using is a size 8 hair rig with coated braid and 2 worms with a piece of boilie on the end to stop the worms pulling through the boilie stop. I keep the hair coated so it's thicker because I was watching a video the other day and the guy was saying thin line/braid will basically rip through the worm easier when casting. I have had good success with this rig catching carp to 20lb :D just I find myself changing baits every 10 minutes lol. I'll have a look into quikstop widgets now, thanks :)

You're doing fine with those tactics bud, so don't change too much.

You are right to leave the coating on. I'd suggest trying fake red maggots with the worms, so on the hair you have maggot/worm/maggot/worm/maggot this will keep them on much better and will even get you bites if smaller fish have ripped the worms off the hair.  :wink:

Widgets are a good suggestion, as is the good old maggot clip, the Fox ones are better for worm being thicker wire.

The lake I'm fishing at the moment doesn't allow barbed hooks or artificial baits :(

Use a 1cm piece of elastic band, or a float rubber. Does exactly the same job. 

I would suggest you increase the number of worms - there is very little that can't consume 2 worms - a 1lb roach and a 1/2lb perch will both easily get through them. If you're looking to specifically target big fish, consider using at least 4 large worms. 

Steve