Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Addicted_Carper

Age of carp

Not sure on what they can live to but there is definitely fish in some of my waters that are well over 30 maybe even 40 in some of the larger fishes cases, I think it depends on the strain of fish some last longer than others, for example simmo's put weight on at alarming rates in the right environment but they have a shorter life expectancy.

Some of the Leneys, or Galicians stocked into Redmire in the 1930's were still alive as late as 2005, maybe later.

It is really difficult to know the age of a carp, I believe there is a way determinate on annuli rings on the scales, but if a scale is a replacement for one lost, then the rings will be out of kilter, so you need two scales at least. Probably the person who knows most on ageing carp is Levigsp, Frank knows almost everything carpy!

There is a water close to me that I have fished reguarly over the years. The original stocking of carp in there took place in 1967/68 by a forward thinking commitee member of the club it used to belong to, who had contacts to Redmire. That original stocking were fish netted from Redmire and there are still at least a dozen or more of these fish still going strong.