Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
youngcarper94

Hooks and hook files

Alright guys as well most of us probably use korda hooks im looking to switch hooke to a propper sharp aggressive biting hook. Now rather then go throught hook after hook find whats best id like to know what hook you lot use and what pattern? Also could anyone recommend a good hook file that will keep my rigs like a razor. Just going to add the price of the hooks doesnr bother me as long as they are top quality

Alright guys as well most of us probably use korda hooks im looking to switch hooke to a propper sharp aggressive biting hook. Now rather then go throught hook after hook find whats best id like to know what hook you lot use and what pattern?

Been using Arma points exclusively now for the last 2 years razor sharp straight out of the packet, Pattern depends on the rig you are using some rigs need an out turned eye, some in turned, some people prefer long shanked hooks.

For me i use the following

Arma SR Size 7: D rig, Multi Rig

Arma SSBP Size 7: Blow back rig/Combi rigs

Arma SSBP Size 8: Zig Aligna's

And so on, so match your hook pattern to your chosen rigs if you see where I'm coming from

Also could anyone recommend a good hook file that will keep my rigs like a razor

I have mentioned this before but you are paying a premium for a hook it should be sticky sharp straight out of the bag.

Again hooks are a personal choice, I know some folks on here like different hooks due to then being heavier in the wire than the arma points and that suits there needs better.

Korda krank and krank choddy, love them, I've changed my tactics recently due to a quote from here, not sure who or what thread but it was " big bait, use a big hook, small bait use a big hook!!" I've been getting runs and not hooking anything as tended to use a 10 or an 8 now unless I'm surface fishing I'll use a size 6 or a 4. I like the shape of the kranks and can't find other options, they seem plenty sharp and I've landed carp from tight swims so am confident in their strength.

I have recently purchased some of the jag sharpening stones, the tackle shop, run by two sisters and their dad, are honest and one of the sisters says she swears by them and out of the selection they sell they are the ones she uses.

This is the best instructional video I have found;

http://www.frenchcarpandcats.com/blog/blogstory.php?seq=63

Edited by nealjt

Korda krank and krank choddy, love them, I've changed my tactics recently due to a quote from here, not sure who or what thread but it was " big bait, use a big hook, small bait use a big hook!!" I've been getting runs and not hooking anything as tended to use a 10 or an 8 now unless I'm surface fishing I'll use a size 6 or a 4. I like the shape of the kranks and can't find other options, they seem plenty sharp and I've landed carp from tight swims so am confident in their strength.

I have recently purchased some of the jag sharpening stones, the tackle shop, run by two sisters and their dad, are honest and one of the sisters says she swears by them and out of the selection they sell they are the ones she uses.

This is the best instructional video I have found;

http://www.frenchcarpandcats.com/blog/blogstory.php?seq=63

Deception angling do a d crank hook, have a butchers on there website mate.

Like most tackle hooks are a personal thing, what suits one person may not suit you. Personally I am happy using Gardner Muggas, arma points, Nash twisters, Kamasan B175 and my personal favorite at the moment Ace razor points. Plenty of trial and error and you will find hooks that suit and that you have confidence in.

As for sharpening hooks, I find it a massive edge. I have been sharpening hooks for years, long before it became the fashionable thing to do. I don't care what hook, pattern or make, even the sharpest hooks out the packet are blunt compared to a properly sharpened hook.

Before the jag stuff came out I used to use an old spade end hook tier, as a vice and a saw file, before buying an eazi lap file which as already has been mentioned is a great bit of kit.

When jag released their sharpening kit I upgraded to that. The Vice is great and much nicer to use than a hook tier, I find the SP file good but I think I prefer my eazi lap file but am happy to use either, the stones I hardly ever use as I don't find they make the hooks any sharper than using either one of my files. They maybe just tidy the hooks up a little but this does not bother me providing the hook is dangerously sharp.