Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
freeman0121

94lb cat caught in the severn?

Sorry if its in wrong section but thought id post it here aparently a 94lb cat was caught in the severn around severn stoke area pictures will be on the birmingham anglers website next week heres a post the chap posted on another forum what a catch cant wait to see the pics!

Hi chaps, the catfish was caught at 3am monday morning on a 2lb x-flite rod, 6000 baitrunner, 12lb krystonite line, 3oz feeder on a 3ft 25lb leadcore leader, 4ft of 18lb braid, size 10 widegape and a 18mm source boily. 75 minute fight ( mostly upstream- thankfully). Hand landed and weight on 100lb x 1oz berkley digital scales. Managed 3 selftakes ( anything a bonus at that stage) - i was done for. Story will be in the weeklys next week

Yep its official fair play to him, many barbel anglers have had there spools stripped before thinking it was cats and theres finally been one landed on barbel gear!

I haven't heard of any barbel anglers having there reels stripped down there .

also can't work out his set up 3 ft of 25lb leadcore 4ft of 18lb braid to a size ten .... very odd set up for carp let alone barbel .

fair pay if it's true though 8)

also can't work out his set up 3 ft of 25lb leadcore 4ft of 18lb braid to a size ten .... very odd set up for carp let alone barbel .

Glad it wasn't just me thinking this, seems a very unbalanced setup even if he was barbel fishing 

But as stated fair play if he managed through all that on his own  8)

Edited by hutch

Yes mate, cats, sturgeon signal crays non are supposed to be returned and killed :(

Zander too, coombe abbey tried to get anglers to remove zander from the water years back, didn't do much good coombe is now a big zander water. rumour has it they were put in the water by pike anglers that were getting back at the match anglers for not putting the pike back in the water.

The lake at coombe also flows into a river via a flood out-let, it's how the zander got into the local rivers and canals.

Wouldn't fancy not putting a 90lb back into the river, you would need to borrow a shotgun from a local farmer to deal with that beast.

couldn't bring myself to kill fish, harsh treatment, poor things, must be another solution like licensed lakes.

Agree. I've no idea what the answer is but no man has the right to kill a creature such as this.

I won't even kill spiders, despite my wife's pleas. I'll do wasps though........................

Ian

I hope he didn't kill it; that would be sacrilege :(

If a cat has grown to 94lb in there then they are obviously there to stay :wink:

I remember when I was a kid and the angling press were up in arms about zander, saying they were going to decimate all other fish and everyone should kill them.

Wonder how that worked out...

Fair play looks genuine. ... although it's not ripple ... no idea why the baa call that the ripple stretch.

they did have fishing at ripple years ago but lost it due to some houses being built by the river .

perhaps still scratching was spot on when he mentioned cats in the mythe pool as that runs parallel to the river and is where the cat was caught.

Congrats to the angler must of been a battle and a half 8)

Still can't get my head around his barbel setup though very strange .