Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Miltz308

2 nights on a budget?

Hi guys,

Next Monday I'm off fishing for two nights with a pal of mine, but I'm on a bit of a budget.

My question is, what options are available to me bait wise? At the moment I know I need the following:

15mm Cell boilies (the fish are often fed on these and have been told they go mad for them)

Pellets of some kind? For ground bait and PVA bags?

Ground bait of some kind?

Do you guys have any advice on the best cheap pellets? Would I be best to go for Cell Response pellets or Halibut?

Also on the ground bait front, should I mix my own? If so what should I include? Should I add stuff to an already made ground bait mix to make it last longer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks again guys,

Sam.

If you can't afford a good quantity of cell the world is your oyster with regards to what you can use to bulk it out with there are upteen particle threads on here.   

Groundbait you can go much wrong with a 15kg bag of this stuff for £12 and purchase a litre of molasses for £3-4 would make a good mix

http://www.carp.com/topic/20777-vitalin-again/?hl=vitalin 

I can't find a link but if you want to and can use nuts there is a tigernut thread in flow in the baits section, also CM I am sure would give you some tips on getting the most out of particles

Pellets - I personally get the skrettings carp/course pellets and match then to what i am feeding, just pop them in a bag add required liquid weather it be oil or a liquid food shake it up and leave them to soak it in, there very low oil content in the first place so you will not overload them (if truth be known some bait companies buy these pellets and just spray them and sell them on at a profit :roll: ) 

That should get you started until someone else arrives

Maize/sweetcorn if your on a budget .

If you really are on a tight bait budget the last thing you want to be doing is paying £12 a kilo or whatever it is for Mainlines Cell .

If you are adament that you have to use boilies then get some bright high attract hookbaits maybe Pineapple , and then loose feed the Maize or corn around it :wink:

How you planning on applying your groundbait ?

Edited by newmarket

My suggestion Sam would be the following;

1kg of Live System frozen - £10?

1 bottle of Live System liquid - £5?

1 sack 20kgs of turkey pellets - £7

1 bottle of Hemp/Good oil - £5

This will be more than enough to last you for several weekends fishing and will be very effective. Live System in my opinion is far superior to Cell and works well on that type of water.

Add 1kg of the pellets to a large strong plastic bag, pour in 30ml of the oil, 50ml of lake water and 2-5ml of the Live System liquid, blow up the bag, twist the neck and shake until the bag goes clear. Do this in batches on the bank as they will not keep, maybe do a couple of Kgs the night before so you have some ready.

Magic, Live System pellets!  :wink:

Apply the pellets as loosefeed, little and often so you build the swim over a weekend, not in one big dump each day, with the odd broken bait mixed in, and perhaps a couple of whole ones, fish a bottom bait over it, with the sides shaved off and something like half a popup of a bit of foam on top so its on the bottom but will shoot up into the carps mouth the same time as the pellets when they come along hoovering. You can confidently put a few kgs a day over a spot as they will be gone by the next morning, just a cloudy soup on the bottom but nothing solid. Unless there are Silvers/Bream/Tench in which case there will be a lovely carp attracting cloud!

If you don't catch, it won't be the bait that is at fault.

buy a good base mix groundbait £2 add in one tin of large peas £0.69, 1 kg of sweet corn £1, 1 pint casters £2 and there you have it one hell of a groundbait for£6  

Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Garden Peas? if so why out of a tin?

Groundbait, do you mean brown crumb? if so, I'm not sure if 1 bag would bind very well.

Crafty Carper King Prawn boilies 5kg = £35

Couple cans of sweet corn = 70p each

Layer pellets 20kg = £15

Good Oil = £5

20KG of hemp = Cant remember price no more then £20 odd

2 Kilo of mixed trout pellet = £7

Thats my standard stuff and its lasted me ages, baring in mind i like to spod, do at least a night a week.

I come away from Cell because of the price, I went to crafty carper and not noticed any drop off in my results.

Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Garden Peas? if so why out of a tin?

Groundbait, do you mean brown crumb? if so, I'm not sure if 1 bag would bind very well.

sorry should of said I use bait tech coconut method mix 2 kg  o and the peas out of a tin because of the water they come in seems to help have tried fresh and tin and tin works best.

Ok so in terms of ground bait so far I'm thinking - Vitalin, Cell response pellets (about 800g costs 8 odd quid not too bad? Or Halibut/bloodworm pellets?), Some broken up cell boilies with a few whole ones all mixed up with molasses?

How does that sound?

Id also need to launch this stuff potentially with a catapult or throwing balls of it, will it work?

Cheers for all the suggestions thus far!

Sam.

Edited by Miltz308

Thought you were on a budget Sam? if you have any leftovers gov'n'r I'll be much obliged with your scraps :lol:

I am, to a certain extent.. Replacing the cell pellets with halibut or bloodworm would be ideal but I'm unsure if it would be as effective?

Ill need one little 400g bag of cell pellets for my PVA bag anyway (I want to fish the cell flavour around my hook bait)

:)

I am, to a certain extent.. Replacing the cell pellets with halibut or bloodworm would be ideal but I'm unsure if it would be as effective?

Ill need one little 400g bag of cell pellets for my PVA bag anyway (I want to fish the cell flavour around my hook bait)

:)

Just kidding ya mate, confidence first; just didn't realise how much them pellets are (a few kg of hemp :wink: for the same)- you could mix a few cheaper pellets in with them, best of both worlds then.

Sorry adding more confusion to your myriad choices.

Ok so in terms of ground bait so far I'm thinking - Vitalin, Cell response pellets (about 800g costs 8 odd quid not too bad? Or Halibut/bloodworm pellets?), Some broken up cell boilies with a few whole ones all mixed up with molasses?

Looks like a good mix, save your coins halibut pellets are a good solution this time of year due to there oil content, like ianain said I'd be tempted to add a little hemp, for balling dont think you can beat Vitalin for what it costs you.

If you want add a little oil to the mix Salmon Oil works a treat this time of year, also if you have a good chinese deli nearby go find yourself a good quality fish sauce (Anchovy Extract in the bait world)

Ok cool so loose the cell pellets and go for hemp and dynamite baits pellets/halibut pellets, seems to cut the costs?

Can I just pick up hemp on the cheap somewhere and chuck it in??

Also I'm fishing the grove lake as taswood in norfolk incase anybody has been! :)

Thanks again guys!