KHV Outbreaks

salokcinnodrog

A confirmed case of KHV has been published at Railway Lakes near Peterborough in Cambridgeshire.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/koi-herpesvirus-disease-outbreak-confirmed-in-cambridgeshire--2

To help prevent this spreading, all nets, mats, slings etc need to be properly cleaned and dried before going to any other fishery.

No fish may be moved out of the fishery.

Google "KHV and overstocking" then sit back with a nice cuppa and some cake and have a read..

Hi there snoozer .... so you think that an over stocked lake where none of the fish have the virus & were tested at the recommended water temp before stocking can suddenly get the virus because the stocking density is on the high side ?

Don't believe everything you read when you Google stuff.

Some of the fish in the lake nick has mentioned ,must of been carrying the virus & has more likely been triggered by the water temp .

I have edited this thread down to remove the silly comments! I may see if I can replace one or two of the posts after checking.

The mortality rate of carp infected is between 80 and 100%, and does not come from overstocking, but from carrier fish. A recovered fish is a carrier, and so the disease can be passed from apparently healthy fish to new stock.

Equally koi can be carriers, so your extra koi in your pond, or tank should not be 'dropped' into a local lake. This includes somebody shifting carp as live baits for pike.

When water temperatures rise, it is younger and most stressed fish that suffer first.

KHV can be passed on from fish being moved from water to water, or by anglers.

Wet nets, slings, mats and mud can pass the disease from venue to venue.

What this means is that all gear, boots etc should be disinfected, cleaned and dried between trips and fisheries.

http://www.fisheries.co.uk/news/news/khv.htm

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm113

I fail to see how dipping a net or mat into a solution of disinfectant/bacteria killer is going to be of much benefit if it already contains traces of KHV - or not as the case may be, tbh.

Boiling the net and mat is a different issue. That will kill most bacteria.

I don't personally think that boiling is viable, unless your surname is Rothchild, so when I return home from a trip, regardless of net/sling/cot being used - it all gets placed in the bath and has the luxury of taking a disinfectant bath of steaming water - or it used too - now it just takes longer to do in the shower.

Don't wish to be nit-picky, but there are differences between viruses and bacteria.

The only reason for me raising this is because viruses need a host to survive. Bacteria (depending on type) can survive extreme conditions. Viruses need quite specific conditions to survive. This means (to my mind) that complete drying of any equipment used should be enough to kill the virus, for example I was told (by an authority) that HIV cannot survive outside of the human body in blood for more than 20 minutes.

I fish a lake where you have to dip you mat,landing net and sling before entering the fishery so clearly you will not be able to dry it before use, all I want to know is are this dip tanks effective in your opinion?

This has come up befor and I'm sure to kill KHV a certain product should be used and replaced regularly , I would guess most dip tanks are of little or no use what so ever .

The first few comments still make no sense without cm's post , stating that this lake is over stocked and inevitable that it would get khv & that you reap what you sow .

I didn't see what was said by other's & got deleted but I would like to clarify that my post was in response to this and snoozer telling Nige to go and Google it when Nige questioned cm's post .... all done politely I might add .

The fisheries who have the best protection are the ones that supply all there own nets mats and weigh slings etc .

Virasure Koi and virkon aquatic have been reported to be effective against KHV but that is only on equipment and I'm personally yet to be convinced of it's efficiency in the field, one thing is for certain once it is in the fish there is nothing we currently know of that will kill KHV, the immunisation programs have shown time and again to be dangerous at best, this is from a well informed source from the koi world, http://www.pond-life.me.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=10811 but carp are carp and if pampered koi worth many £1,000's an catch it I'm very certain a syndicate or any other carp can too.

Edited by bishops

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had a little chat with Simon Scott on this matter and he has given me permission to share his answer.

I explained it's not always possible to get your gear dry with the British weather being what it is.

First up KHV is a virus which is one of the problems we have with finding a cure ... We have not cured the common cold in humans yet ! KHV virus is killed with drying out BUT research has shown that transmission between lakes is often through wet gear. Any household disinfectant and a hose down would be a good start. We use Steri 7 at the farm. Virkon is another great product. Dilute it and spray it on. Hope that helps. S

Thats the 6th one in the last month.

when I spoke with the consultant I've been using, He said there's normally an average of 20 a year nation wide .

Perhaps that hot week we had a couple of months back triggered these latest out breaks. .... although not knowing how long it takes to start actually killing fish I could be way off the mark ?

Noticed 300 odd fish died & lake closed at witley Worcestershire due to khv .

It actually made the BBC Midland News,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-34149512

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/koi-herpesvirus-disease-outbreak-confirmed-in-worcestershire

I think stink bags have a lot to answer for, people just throw them in their tackle shed and don't dry their gear properly

That is a problem in itself. You get home, the gear is in the bag, so yes, it just gets put in the shed until next trip wherever it may be.

Drying out the gear prevents spread of KHV, but if wet the gear needs to be disinfected properly, how many anglers do that?

I must be one of the few who does dry their gear out, but because I keep mine in my flat I don't want to stink it out.