Mark Holmes

hutch

2 hours ago, Ginger9991 said:

Watched the video above, did anyone try out the horse salt lick in there Fishing?

Horse salt lick is Himalayan rock salt. I actually believe it's human grade too if you chip off the outer layer. So much cheaper than getting it from the supermarket. Best type of salt to use. 

However I heard that the gritters use a certain type of grit for the A roads sometimes. It's rock salt covered in molasses so it sticks. I don't think there's other chemicals involved. If not that would be an edge. 

36 minutes ago, greekskii said:

Horse salt lick is Himalayan rock salt. I actually believe it's human grade too if you chip off the outer layer. So much cheaper than getting it from the supermarket. Best type of salt to use. 

However I heard that the gritters use a certain type of grit for the A roads sometimes. It's rock salt covered in molasses so it sticks. I don't think there's other chemicals involved. If not that would be an edge. 

He mentions that The gritter salt has chemicals in that are a big no no for attracting fish. Would be interested to do a bit more digging into the salt lick, curing baits and stuff like that.

On 10 September 2015 at 20:11, hutch said:

They quite clearly have issues with each other, to be fair I follow Mr F on twitter he seems to be a reasonable sort of bloke (never meet him so can't make a realistic opinion) so there must be a reason for his comments,  I think there are more higher profile anglers that seem to have a certain amount of skullduggary attach to them to get to where they are.

On 10 September 2015 at 20:40, salokcinnodrog said:

Let's just say it is not all Mark Holmes being nasty, I have met Mr. Forward, and can think of nicer people to speak to...

On 10 September 2015 at 21:30, hutch said:

Im sure you have a list Nick with some of the waters you have fished, I think 1. It shows the length some will go to keep there profile in the media, also i am sure some images are glossed with a little Marketing to make them more sellable to the masses

When I was fishing Suffolk Water Park fairly regularly, Dave Lane and Paul Forward were on there a few times. Bruce and I would leave the gear in the car and walk the lake a few times before we chose where to fish. Dave Lane would swap information with us, no problems, even if we just rocked past his bivvy and said 'hi, how you doing?' Paul Forward who was usually in the next swim would just grunt 'morning' or whatever, no welcome.

Maybe Dave Lane, because he had seen us climbing trees, walking, spotting, would talk, and yes, I know was gaining information from us as much as we gained from him. Mr. F on the other hand barely said a word, no greeting unless you spoke to him first, and then only the time of day.

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

Himalayan Rock Salt can be crushed, mixed with molasses and then put into groundbait. However as I said earlier in the thread, I don't like adding salt into any of my mixes, to do with levels of salt preventing protein utilisation. Think its between 1-3% in a diet is counted as excess, after that growth is slowed or stopped. I put up a research link a while ago on another thread or two.

Road gritting salt comes from various sources, some is dug in UK, some imported, so I presume because it is a mix, is why it is not recommended for adding into baits.

I did have a look at some I saw being spread, it was definitely a mix of salt and fine sand, the sand probably to help with grip for cars, and if mixed in with the rock salt and molasses to hold it in place.

16 minutes ago, Big Common said:

I'd steer clear of any gritter salt, just to be on the safe side. ........ Molasses isn't expensive to add.......

Good time to start curing a few hook baits is now, ready for Spring...... You might want to piece your baits through first as they will be rock hard when done. :)

Any good links to how you go about curing it BC?

I found a few articles which was basically to (in short) Air dry, Cover in salt, Leave, remove, stick in the freezer again...then maybe glug, Fish.

It's butcher's curing salt you need for curing hookbaits. I spent 8 months preparing some and won't bother doing it again. Took a load of them to France one april and got way more bites on white pop ups.

Never noticed any significant difference to my angling using Himalayan pink rock salt either. Off the shelf rock salt just as good imo.

3 hours ago, yonny said:

It's butcher's curing salt you need for curing hookbaits. I spent 8 months preparing some and won't bother doing it again. Took a load of them to France one april and got way more bites on white pop ups.

Never noticed any significant difference to my angling using Himalayan pink rock salt either. Off the shelf rock salt just as good imo.

Can be cheaper to buy though yonny if you look in the right place. 15kg bag of crushed horse rock salt to mix in to feed for little more than a tenner I saw in a feed shop once. 

Personally don't add salt at all. Not in rock form. Fish sauce contains enough in liquid form and it's what I glug my boilies in.