Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
dave22

Slack Lines OR Tight Lines???????

Hi Guys,

Just wondering wether you guys fish slack lines or tights lines?? and in what situations would you use each one. I normally use tight lines, bobbin clipped up etc but have heard a lot about people fishing slack lines.

Just wondered what the general consensus was.

Thanks

Dave

Running Leads with Slack Lines and the bobbin on the deck.

Can be a pain in the butt at any great distance though.

Bolt-rigs/Semi-fixed set-ups rely on the Line being tight to hook the fish in my opinion.

3 other threads that may give some ansers as well

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=26640

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=9536

http://www.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=27386

as long as you take ALL the stretch out of the line it is then more or less a slack line and you will still get far better indication than a tight line but this way you can still have a light bobbin set up that will give you indication of a back drop, just have the bobbin an inch or so off the deck

That wouldnt make a difference if you are fishing slack lines or tight tho! If the lead falls off, and the fish comes towards you, the result will be the same!!!

I always have used tight lines, can't get my head around to using slack line - even with braid

But

OH has been using slack lines for a year or so - not sure if his catch rate is better or not?

Have been using Running leads with Slack lines for quite a few years now.

I was watching Carp at a small "runs" water actually picking the bait up in the margins on Semi-fixed leads, when they took the Hooklink to its maximum distance (moving slowly, no matter what the hooklink length was ) and felt the lead they would stop and by mouth movement alone actually eject the hook.

With Running leads and slack lines (no tubing) they could not do this, there was no resistance from the weight of the lead, so they continued moving, giving time to get an indication on the buzzer. With Running leads and tubing, there was a minimal resistance that the Carp appeared not to notice when they picked up the bait, so the effect was the same. Running leads with a lead of less than 2ozs did not work at all as the lead would move.

The problem with Fishing Running leads on a tight line is that by the very fact of the tight line you have created a Semi-Fixed Lead, which the Carp may use to eject the hook.

I compared the Running lead and semi-fixed set-ups at Earith, the takes on the Running leads far outnumbered the Semi-Fixed set-ups by 4-1, and that is from a water that was not heavily fished when I was there.

The problem with Fishing Running leads on a tight line is that by the very fact of the tight line you have created a Semi-Fixed Lead, which the Carp may use to eject the hook.

if you were using back leads with a running lead on a tight line would it still create a semi fixed lead setup?

if you were using back leads with a running lead on a tight line would it still create a semi fixed lead setup?

Any time you make the line tight by whatever means you are creating the semi-fixed set up.

The additional angles also slow the indication you receive at the buzzer end.

Any time you make the line tight by whatever means you are creating the semi-fixed set up

ok cheers for that something to think about

Personally I use slack lines with bobbins on the deck for margin fishing and short to meduim distance, my thinking is that the fish will tend to want to run from you when margin fishing so drop backs tend not to occur.

If I am fishing anything over 50 yrds then I will cast out,leave the line slack on the top, pop on a backlead and then let the bobbin slowly sink the line, slowly tightening up every couple of minutes until the bobbin is about 2 inches off the deck.

If the weather allows then I will set the delks to 5(S) which although reduces speed indication on a take gives me warning of drop backs.

Since using this method I dont get those annoying line bites and get a lot more little knocks and beeps.

Still not confident enough to try complete slack lines as I use a semi-fixed heli set up, although I am thinking about trying slack line with running setup and see if that improves bite indication again.

Fishing to snags obviously requires totally different set up though.