Thursday 72 hours, follow the wind or not?

markspod

Looking for opinions? I've been fishing a pretty hard venue and only had 1 run all year resulting in being cut off on a gravel bar. 3 weeks ago I found a nice area in 13' of water and over the 72 hours trickled in £55 worth of bait. I had planned to fish the same area Thursday to Sunday (last session of the year on this particular water); however, the forecast is a new SW wind with rain and lowish pressure ( probably the first time this year I'll be fishing in catching conditions) which will be hacking down to the other end of the lake which is narrow (70-80 yards across) and shallower (6-12'). Would you follow the wind or fishing your previously baited spot?

Hard one for me that.

£55 worth of bait is not something i would do but thats history now so i would start with the baited area and move down to the wind sometime during the 72 hrs if the baited fell on its face.

Curious now is this the first time on this venue you have baited to this extent ?

If it was me I would just be treating it as just another one off sesh .

Looking for signs of fishy shows and then fishing on the end of the new south westerly if that failed.

£55 of bait , what's that about 5 kilos of Boilies ?

A couple of mid doubles would be able to polish that lot off in about 10 minutes , especially this time of year and it was 3 weeks ago so it's not exactly what you could call pre baited .

I'd forget about that bait Mark and just treat your Thursday session as you would any other .

Good luck to you

The fact that you put the bait in wouldn't make me want to fish the same spot, it would make me want to fish the same bait! Chances are any fish coming across your bait that had a free feed last time will eat it again, but if no fish see your bait it's irrelevant! I would fish the same bait but aim, as always, to put it in front of as many fish as you can.

Of course that doesn't nessesarily mean fish into the wind, it means fish where the fish are. Always possible they'll be on the back of the wind. Also I assume you've fed boillies? pre bait anywhere in my opinion with boillies. It's more about getting the fish to see your bait as a safe food source anywhere in the lake than just in one spot.

Good luck! Hope you catch! I'm out on Friday too. Hoping not to get blown away. :) I fear it may be letter box bivvy setups for the weekend!

Cheers for the input. The fish don't show often and it's quite a low stock of fish. I plan to have a walk around (there's unlikely to be anyone on there until Saturday as there's only 30 members)when I get there.

On the last session the spot I fished was just off a gravel bar with weed about a foot either side of the spot, when I left I had a few casts with the marker and the spot was now about 2 foot clear of weed, so I guess fish had been in and done me

Pulled off a couple of hours ago so only did 58 hours in the end nothing for me & 4 others on last night all blanked. Really strange we all thought the conditions were spot on and spaced ourselves will apart across the 15 acres but not even a single bleed for anyone.

I'll just be doing days on a local now until the Spring.

Just because you baited a spot it doesn't mean that the fish will be there, they likely do feed in other areas.

The likely good thing is that you have prebaited (hopefully) with a food source bait, so the carp will accept it in the future.

That bait may have been munched in minutes, especially if there are any bream, who move onto an area and graze it until it is clean, so just because it's now clear, does not mean carp are the culprits.

On prebaiting a boilie, I do not stick to one spot, I do bait up various areas of the lake, so more carp should learn it's a free and acceptable food source.

I don't often prebait with particles unless I want the fish to clean out a weedy area to make it good enough to present a bait on. Particles attract too many other species, bream, tench, carp and silvers, and they will all eat them, often before bigger carp move in and get a chance, you have to use very large amounts (Baiting Pyramid) to bring the carp in, either a long term baiting or a single session.

Just because you baited a spot it doesn't mean that the fish will be there, they likely do feed in other areas.

The likely good thing is that you have prebaited (hopefully) with a food source bait, so the carp will accept it in the future.

That bait may have been munched in minutes, especially if there are any bream, who move onto an area and graze it until it is clean, so just because it's now clear, does not mean carp are the culprits.

On prebaiting a boilie, I do not stick to one spot, I do bait up various areas of the lake, so more carp should learn it's a free and acceptable food source.

I don't often prebait with particles unless I want the fish to clean out a weedy area to make it good enough to present a bait on. Particles attract too many other species, bream, tench, carp and silvers, and they will all eat them, often before bigger carp move in and get a chance, you have to use very large amounts (Baiting Pyramid) to bring the carp in, either a long term baiting or a single session.

On one front I'm lucky here not a single known bream in the lake, 5 known tench, a few pike and loads of perch.

What was good was when winding in the two rods on "my spot) both leads had fresh light green sweet smelling weed on them and both hook baits were clear (tiny PVA bag of PVA frendily hemp when cast).

Made a call this morning and nothing came out whilst I'd gone (3 weeks now without a fish being hooked by anyone )

Roll on the spring