Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
adamkitson

Rods up in the air or flat to the ground??

So personally I like my rods as close to the ground as they'll go! I'll generally only have them more than 20cms off the ground if the bank is too hard to get my sticks in or I'm using a pod, which I still have as low as possible. I have to admit though, this is purely cause I think it looks better, with no consideration for any fishing advantage.

I have seen a few people with rods up like they're barbel fishing. I'm interested to learn what the reason for this would be? I can imagine that fishing in heavy weed it may help to have a higher line angle to rest it over the weed better, but I can't see another reason. In clear water surely it just makes for much more visible line stretching out through mid water, getting blown around, picking up leaves/weed/liners easier, just doesn't seem to add up to me.

Of course I am aware that I'm missing something. Enough very good anglers do it that there must be a good reason. :) Interested to hear what other think of this.

I like to get mine as low down as possible without having to get on my hands and knees to make fine adjustments.

I do however prefer my tips in the water especially this time of year with so many leaves blowing against the lines causing the odd bleep when i'm trying to nod off.

Low_zpswqkxmoue.jpg

i will generally have the rod tips in the water and rods low to the ground because if the rod tips are in the water the line is closer to the lake bed (i fish with tight lines) which also makes it easier to land fish because its less likey that the fish will swim into the line.

if fishing in weed, not only does it help keep the line up off the weed, but if fished with a tight clutch it will also help bring the fish to the surface when hooked, especially if the lead is set up to drop off (as it should be if weed fishing)  The angle of the rod means it is effectively playing the fish for you until you get to the rod.

if fishing in weed, not only does it help keep the line up off the weed, but if fished with a tight clutch it will also help bring the fish to the surface when hooked, especially if the lead is set up to drop off (as it should be if weed fishing)  The angle of the rod means it is effectively playing the fish for you until you get to the rod.

Sorry Phil,

I don't agree that you always want to drop the lead in weed. I often use inline leads with no problems in weed, use a zipp shape and weed does not hang up on them. Add to that how little it takes to prevent a lead properly being discharged on a lead clip, and I think that standard lead clips are a liability in weed, full stop.

Keeping pressure on a hooked carp in weed, and they don't usually lock up. It is when you give them too much 'slack' that they stick or lock up in weed, when they are fighting and scrapping, still moving they don't get stuck, or if you fish in too thick a weed it is irresponsible to fish anyway.

I often, or even usually fish with my rod tips down, the rod tip pointing straight down the line, whether fishing semi-fixed or running lead. The indication is far superior to any angle!

Rod tips up are fine for long distance fishing, or on occasions you do need to keep the line over margin weed, but are often done without thought by many anglers.