Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
salokcinnodrog

Pop-up and soaked bait collection

Here is a pic of my growing pop-up and soaked bait selection.

3a41edd100ac5fcf31eb738b4f6de874_zpscnlb

Two lots of Wooden balls soaking in the liquid shown, squid pop-ups, garlic and spice in the 'over flavoured' container, some carp sweeties pop-ups, seafood and prawn pop-ups, neutral brown pop-ups soaking in the liquid and some bright red pop-ups soaking in Liquid Liver.

These will be the hookbait and snowman toppers for the rest of the season. Reckon that should do nicely!

Hi Nick 

I guess you have tried covering your boilies with mesh and other coverings ( yes I've been watching Thinking Tackle ! ) , but you find for you only the Wooden Balls will work ? .

A meshed rock hard boilie lasts all of an hour!

That is 3 layers of mesh that the crayfish cut through.

Smaller crays live on or in the weed, and the larger ones are all around the gravel areas, and most of the lake is gravel, with few silt patches, which I do search for as I would prefer to find where the fish need naturally.

It is very rare for me to retrieve a bait where the pop-up has not been taken, so I I have a soaked wooden ball (the long term soak makes them sink), with a pop-up topper. Even with the pop-up removed I still have a bait on the hook.

Wooden balls are they soley for combating krays ? as i've never used them not having fished a venue yet suffering from the blight.

Yes, I much prefer to fish real baits, but crayfish make that impossible on my water.

I do however tights or stocking mesh baits sometimes on other waters where silver fish will rip a boilie apart.

Get a tan stocking, and it doesn't change the colour of the hookbait when you mesh it. Saying that, I have had takes on black stocking mesh, but tan or flesh looks more 'normal'. Not that any man who goes into a shop and buys pairs of tights or stockings is ever considered normal :!::wink:

A meshed rock hard boilie lasts all of an hour!

That is 3 layers of mesh that the crayfish cut through.

Smaller crays live on or in the weed, and the larger ones are all around the gravel areas, and most of the lake is gravel, with few silt patches, which I do search for as I would prefer to find where the fish need naturally.

It is very rare for me to retrieve a bait where the pop-up has not been taken, so I I have a soaked wooden ball (the long term soak makes them sink), with a pop-up topper. Even with the pop-up removed I still have a bait on the hook.

Nick have you ever had crayfish actually chop the hair off.

I know I have.

Yep, darn things.

Merlin as hair was answer to that, but with wooden ball they leave the mono hair alone as the pop-up can be reached easily

Good skills there nick.

As I have said in some previous threads about crays I have found the really deep water seems to get you away from them.

But if your lake doesn't go deeper than 12 -14 feet then you just have to find another way , which you have ☺

Would you be allowed to stock Catfish ,as they would sort the Crays out eventually.

It would seem that a few venues that had a Crayfish problem on Farnhams waters, ended up having illegally stocked Cats, now the Crays are no longer a problem they are slowly removing them.

To where... no one seems to know ,well the few Bailiffs and other members I spoke to about this didn't.

Would you be allowed to stock Catfish ,as they would sort the Crays out eventually.

It would seem that a few venues that had a Crayfish problem on Farnhams waters, ended up having illegally stocked Cats, now the Crays are no longer a problem they are slowly removing them.

To where... no one seems to know ,well the few Bailiffs and other members I spoke to about this didn't.

Are you a member of Farnham mate?.

I'm joining next season.

Really like the look of the little koi pond.

Have you ever thought about or used crayfish tails as bait?.

Think it's illegal to use crayfish as bait.

I admire your stamina for keeping at the crayfish lake, is it nazing

Regarding crayfish as bait

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/tackle-you-can-use

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permission-to-trap-crayfish-eels-elvers-salmon-and-sea-trout

Yes Mate, still Nazeing.

It's amazing that the lagoons are jam packed with them, yet we've not seen one in the pool next door over the causeway, probably as there is less gravel, and deeper softer margins

I've seen grebes, and otters (!) on the lakes munch crayfish, yet it doesn't appear to make any difference to the numbers of them. You can look in the margins as the light fades and there are some crays as long as from wrist to finger tip, with massive claws.

I think the numbers of crays stops the few otters there are ( and I've seen them in daylight, so can be sure of identification), from munching on the few carp that there are.

The carp shy away from pressure, almost as if setting up and casting spooks them from the area. It's hope they move into the area when you're there, or that you don't spook them if they are in place.

I can't say I've done really well, had a few, but just think the rewards are worthwhile when you do get it right.

Think I've been trying for 3 years now to get it right with one of the biggies!

3 years for 4 fish so far from the lagoons, does seem a tad bare of results, but those fish so far have all been worthwhile, and strangely 3 came in one winter trip over 4 days! And probably in conditions most would choose not to fish, gales, torrential rain.

Don't get me wrong, I have had big fish from the 'easier' Brackens pool on occasional trips on that, but it is the lagoons that hold my addiction at the moment.

I think most of my blanking is my fault ( :!: ), just turning up at night after work in the dark, an 80mile drive, and setting up without enough looking round first, in the easiest swim that I could park behind.

I have tried loads and loads of different pop-ups as toppers on my food bait and wooden balls, chocolate cream, pineapple, scopex, yet the ones that worked on Brackens and lagoons, have been Squid and Octopus, Monster Crab, and my Spiced Garlic ones.

I have had to go to dark pop-ups to avoid coots and tufted ducks, little blighters will find and pick up hookbaits, the wooden balls help in that regard as well.

Well that's wetted my appetite ☺.

Do you fish yately ?

Only fished The South Lake overnight , had a run ....hook snapped ...

The Yatley lakes are really busy , if you can fish mid week all the better ,

Was hoping to fish Mill lane still busy now ,although in fairness most of the summer anglers are gone from all the waters.

Only fished The South Lake overnight , had a run ....hook snapped ...

The Yatley lakes are really busy , if you can fish mid week all the better ,

Was hoping to fish Mill lane still busy now ,although in fairness most of the summer anglers are gone from all the waters.

I'm hoping most of my fishing will be midweek in the summer, then move to weekends winter time.

I do like the look of the south and match lake.