Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
nigewoodcock

The carp society membership

Sounds promising. Any chance you can give more detail?

Pretty sure there'll be an official statement in the very near future, but your right it's very promising at this stage

Tim Paisley on Facebook

I made a reply to my mate Frank's very welcome intervention and rallying call in the Society dispute which has disappeared in the multitude of warming reactions to his post. Firstly, be clear that there is currently no wrongdoing afoot within the Society, or at Horseshoe. After lengthy legal exchanges the four directors behind any possible wrongdoing were deposed at the EGM on 12 May, and new directors installed. The office staff and the new directors are good people, and Society through and through, and need all the support they can get. The four deposed directors have challenged the legality of aspects of them being deposed, which is why the case is ongoing. They tried to bring the claim in the name of the Society, but yesterday that tactic was over-ruled by the court (in no uncertain fashion!) and they were sent away to rethink their action. They have been using Society monies to fund their action. It has now been made clear that if they wish to proceed they must bring the case in their own names, and fund the action themselves, which we have been maintaining from the outset. There are some interesting legal implications behind that ruling. The deposed four, Malcolm Coller, David Mannall, Shane Thompson and Derek Buxton, have a new hearing date of 25th July if they wish to proceed. Two sets of solicitors and two barristers have confirmed that our case is sound, but the costs clock is on overtime, and the Society Costs Fund needs all the support you can give it through the ACA Society auction, Frank's initiative, the Society's Justgiving page, and the Mangrove and Birch Grove Fish With the Stars event. The costs are now well in excess of our original appeal target of £50K, so do what you can. And thanks again to Frank for his support, and for highlighting the issue. And to Kev Knight and Mick Dee for their invaluable support. One day we may be in a position to tell you the full story. And to think, these guys are claiming we have brought the Society into disrepute!

I've been trying to keep away from The Carp Society thread and comments as to some extent it wasn't my concern, and I wasn't 100% in agreement with the aims, but CM brings up some important points.

As a venue I was not happy that it was The Carp Society that purchased Horseshoe, I felt it should have been a National Fishing Association, maybe even along the lines of The Angling Trust, where all anglers could fish the lake. With The CS and the original scheme buying it, I think it became almost a carp only venue, yet there are specimen fish of various species in there.

I think local clubs (and even commercial venues) should do a lot more to help younger and new anglers, although they should not concentrate on just carp fishing, however I can remember some fish-ins and tuitions on Horsehoe lakes run by The Carp Society, which I felt could only help youngsters in fishing.

The deposed four directors were obviously using both The Carp Society and Horseshoe for their own ends, a very elitist attitude, but actually quite in common with today's society, business, political and many many general citizens, a very capitalist elite, so I am glad that they have been written out, hopefully permanently.

Now forgive my thoughts, but Horseshoe needs to be making money as a venue, to pay for its bailiffs etc, but as a venue for tuitions of anglers it could only be good. However we still need to get rid of the 'carp elite' attitude, and make fishing for all.

Not at all, you have obviously not done much trout and salmon fishing, no contest, stupid logic, some beats are thousands of pounds a wek.

From what I recall, some places, 2months letting out an estates beats pays the bill for a whole year.

That's it just it, just carp fishing does not have to be the way to pay the bills, and you can have mixed fishing. Ferry Meadows Peterborough is part of Nene Park, Lee Valley is not just a fishery or ten, I could give more!

These places rely on other outdoor activities, camping, fishing, sailing, walkers etc. to earn money, and offer more leisure time now that we are rediscovering going outside again, as well as being fishing lakes.

Not at all, you have obviously not done much trout and salmon fishing, no contest, stupid logic, some beats are thousands of pounds a wek.

I have done plenty of trout fishing and it doesn't cost anywhere near the same as carp fishing, and the renting of estates etc....is done for the elite not everyman where as carping is now mainstream.....so it's your logic that is stupid (as usual). And why do you think most of the country park lakes don't get fished???? Because you are plagued by non anglers and kids and noise....

I have done plenty of trout fishing and it doesn't cost anywhere near the same as carp fishing, and the renting of estates etc....is done for the elite not everyman where as carping is now mainstream.....so it's your logic that is stupid (as usual). And why do you think most of the country park lakes don't get fished???? Because you are plagued by non anglers and kids and noise....

You tell me that Lee Valley lakes don't get fished, I'd laugh at you. The whole of the Lee Valley is a National Park, and yes I have people walking, cycling, or sailing by.

Ferry Meadows in Peterborough, check that as well, country park.

I am pretty sure that gets fished regularly for carp as well as bream.

Those bream anglers I reckon put a lot of money into the upkeep of the park.

As for trout, the price of fishing can still be expensive, not all day ticket lakes are as cheap, and there are still a number of trout lake syndicates, in fact I have a couple near me.

Or look at the high profile trout fisheries like Chew, it is the trout that are the mainstream, and an additional income from pike fishing, not a carp in sight.

Sorry Ross, I do think that you are a bit wrong

You tell me that Lee Valley lakes don't get fished, I'd laugh at you. The whole of the Lee Valley is a National Park, and yes I have people walking, cycling, or sailing by.

Ferry Meadows in Peterborough, check that as well, country park.

I am pretty sure that gets fished regularly for carp as well as bream.

Those bream anglers I reckon put a lot of money into the upkeep of the park.

As for trout, the price of fishing can still be expensive, not all day ticket lakes are as cheap, and there are still a number of trout lake syndicates, in fact I have a couple near me.

Or look at the high profile trout fisheries like Chew, it is the trout that are the mainstream, and an additional income from pike fishing, not a carp in sight.

Sorry Ross, I do think that you are a bit wrong

As an add, some of the weirs on the Lee, or Lea, whichever spelling you fancy, earn big money from barbel and chub anglers, especially when you are looking at 9lb chub being possible, along with double figure barbel. There is a public footpath that runs from Hoddesdon, Rye House all the way along to Walthamstow, and probably further upstream.

There are also specimen tench and bream in many of the Lea Valley fisheries, and I know some anglers pay their season ticket money just for them, the carp are an incidental.

Years ago, the River Wensum in Costessey, Norfolk had a stretch of river that was syndicated to barbel anglers, a stretch that threw up a number of 9-15lb barbel when that was close to the record.

Even Taverham Mills earns money from anglers going on the river as well as the lake.

Look at Hanningfield reservoir, that is a trout reservoirr, and I am pretty positive that no carp anglers are welcome on there :!:

patsull park £280 per season + £50 per day boat hire for 3 fish limit sounds reasonable till you realise that the punt is the only way you are allowed to fly fish for trout, thats £50 per session straight away then factor in the flies, i can get thru 4 or 5 in a session then spare lines too, bust a rod and you are over £300 for my rod alone. probably talking C£100 per sesh.

and all that with weddings going on all the time too so drinking, shouting and camera flashes going off all day (sounds like a carp social to me), the amount of wedding pictures i have photo bombed in my punt is unbelievable :lol:

What is being lost in this thread is that it is the carp society!

You wouldn't get an mx5 owner joining an mr2 club would you???

nige, it looks like you are saying that the carp society is elitist or even upper class in some way, or at least better than other modes of angling?

i am reading too much into your innocuous remark aren't i :confused:

Edited by cyborx

So now I am stupid and a silly kid because I don't have the same opinion as you.......Mods and Administration, this is why the amount of posters have dwindled so you can count them on 1 hand.

We were talking about why commercial carp fisheries are so widespread. I stand by my original post. Carp fishing is mainstream. MOST not all would rather fish a place without public access. And far more people fish for carp than trout.

So disagree all you want I will respect your opinion...it would be nice for you to do the same for mine!

Nige......about this Carp society membership.....

I've been trying to keep away from The Carp Society thread and comments as to some extent it wasn't my concern, and I wasn't 100% in agreement with the aims, but CM brings up some important points.

As a venue I was not happy that it was The Carp Society that purchased Horseshoe, I felt it should have been a National Fishing Association, maybe even along the lines of The Angling Trust, where all anglers could fish the lake. With The CS and the original scheme buying it, I think it became almost a carp only venue, yet there are specimen fish of various species in there.

I think local clubs (and even commercial venues) should do a lot more to help younger and new anglers, although they should not concentrate on just carp fishing, however I can remember some fish-ins and tuitions on Horsehoe lakes run by The Carp Society, which I felt could only help youngsters in fishing.

The deposed four directors were obviously using both The Carp Society and Horseshoe for their own ends, a very elitist attitude, but actually quite in common with today's society, business, political and many many general citizens, a very capitalist elite, so I am glad that they have been written out, hopefully permanently.

Now forgive my thoughts, but Horseshoe needs to be making money as a venue, to pay for its bailiffs etc, but as a venue for tuitions of anglers it could only be good. However we still need to get rid of the 'carp elite' attitude, and make fishing for all.

nige, it looks like you are saying that the carp society is elitist or even upper class in some way, or at least better than other modes of angling?

i am reading too much into your innocuous remark aren't i :confused:

It is posts like Nicks above and carpmachine's. It was the Carp society that purchased Horseshoe, so a lot of the bias is going to be towards carp angling! 

I'm in no way suggesting that they are elitist or upper class.

They do allow other types of fishing there. They close the lake for the tench fishers, there are pike anglers on in the winters, people go down there just for the tench or even the big rudd! But, seeing as its a carp society, the main focus is on carp fishing. Of course the membership is going to be full of carp anglers, its what it was set up for! 

They also have the junior fish-in every year. It is always very well attended.

patsull park £280 per season + £50 per day boat hire for 3 fish limit sounds reasonable till you realise that the punt is the only way you are allowed to fly fish for trout, thats £50 per session straight away then factor in the flies, i can get thru 4 or 5 in a session then spare lines too, bust a rod and you are over £300 for my rod alone. probably talking C£100 per sesh.

and all that with weddings going on all the time too so drinking, shouting and camera flashes going off all day (sounds like a carp social to me), the amount of wedding pictures i have photo bombed in my punt is unbelievable :lol:

Dont no ware you got all your info on patshall from but it's all wrong boats included in the 280 and you can fish from the bank. Even if you don't join its less than 30 quid for a day in the boat and a few fish.

So now I am stupid and a silly kid because I don't have the same opinion as you.......Mods and Administration, this is why the amount of posters have dwindled so you can count them on 1 hand.

We were talking about why commercial carp fisheries are so widespread. I stand by my original post. Carp fishing is mainstream. MOST not all would rather fish a place without public access. And far more people fish for carp than trout.

So disagree all you want I will respect your opinion...it would be nice for you to do the same for mine!

Nige......about this Carp society membership.....

It is posts like Nicks above and carpmachine's. It was the Carp society that purchased Horseshoe, so a lot of the bias is going to be towards carp angling! 

I'm in no way suggesting that they are elitist or upper class.

They do allow other types of fishing there. They close the lake for the tench fishers, there are pike anglers on in the winters, people go down there just for the tench or even the big rudd! But, seeing as its a carp society, the main focus is on carp fishing. Of course the membership is going to be full of carp anglers, its what it was set up for! 

They also have the junior fish-in every year. It is always very well attended.

My view was that the National Federation of Angling as it was then should have purchased the lake on the same type of scheme that the Carp Society used, indenture or covenant from the anglers, and while it had carp in should have been for all anglers. It was only when those indentures ran out after 10 years that the lake was opened for other fishing for CS to make money.

Ross,

Stop taking it personally, there is more to life than Carp fishing; even a number of big commercials do have other species in at specimen weights, but rarely does the media publicise the big tench of Linear, or the big bream etc.

Most anglers would actually probably in carp fishing, fish for big fish over small fish in their area, that their constraints allow, whether public access or not.

We have shown that pike, trout, bream, tench as well as carp at specimen weights are available. In fact most species were in before carp fishing became mainstream.

As a younger angler, I don't think that you necessarily respect the 'tradition' of fishing, and will happily fish for fish that are not 100% genuine in the interests of big fish over all. By this I mean you have come to expect instant big fish fisheries, without the growing on naturally of fish.

CM had a pop at you in his way because he was trying to get you to understand there is more to life than big carp, because instant fisheries are not necessarily good for newer or younger anglers, or even fishing in general, in fact pretty much as I see it as well.

Recently there have been far more posters on site, more than one hand, although of them, it seems you are the one arguing a point, and not appreciating it when somebody does try to explain and you don't want to accept their views either.

Dont no ware you got all your info on patshall from but it's all wrong boats included in the 280 and you can fish from the bank. Even if you don't join its less than 30 quid for a day in the boat and a few fish.

got the info from a chat with the ranger at the onsite shop last month liam, i asked as i was interested in joining the syndie at church pool.

if he has sold me a bummer he must have had an ulterior motive, we can only go on what info is given at the time.

got the info from a chat with the ranger at the onsite shop last month liam, i asked as i was interested in joining the syndie at church pool.

if he has sold me a bummer he must have had an ulterior motive, we can only go on what info is given at the time.

Fair enough mate think you might of mis understood the 50 quid bit because that's for two non members to fish of the boats so 25 quid each not bad really. You can defonately fish off the bank. As for the church 385 is steep for what is in there these days nice place just not what it was when I fished on there alot of the big originals have died now and it's 85 quid dearer alot more fish now just not the church pool it was ten years ago.

My view was that the National Federation of Angling as it was then should have purchased the lake on the same type of scheme that the Carp Society used, indenture or covenant from the anglers, and while it had carp in should have been for all anglers. It was only when those indentures ran out after 10 years that the lake was opened for other fishing for CS to make money.

Ross,

Stop taking it personally, there is more to life than Carp fishing; even a number of big commercials do have other species in at specimen weights, but rarely does the media publicise the big tench of Linear, or the big bream etc.

Most anglers would actually probably in carp fishing, fish for big fish over small fish in their area, that their constraints allow, whether public access or not.

We have shown that pike, trout, bream, tench as well as carp at specimen weights are available. In fact most species were in before carp fishing became mainstream.

As a younger angler, I don't think that you necessarily respect the 'tradition' of fishing, and will happily fish for fish that are not 100% genuine in the interests of big fish over all. By this I mean you have come to expect instant big fish fisheries, without the growing on naturally of fish.

CM had a pop at you in his way because he was trying to get you to understand there is more to life than big carp, because instant fisheries are not necessarily good for newer or younger anglers, or even fishing in general, in fact pretty much as I see it as well.

Recently there have been far more posters on site, more than one hand, although of them, it seems you are the one arguing a point, and not appreciating it when somebody does try to explain and you don't want to accept their views either.

How can I not take it personally....he aimed his comments directly at me......and nowhere did I say that there aren't other species.....so I will repeat myself......there are more carp venues because there are more carp anglers and vice versa.

However I don't need to come on here and be condescended to by a woolly minded old ditherer and be told that it's just his way......anyway more digression from the point of the thread so I won't say another word on the matter!

I have a question regarding the Carp Society membership, why don't they open up the dates people can join rather than it just be that if you applied in January you can join up now?

With everything that is happening with the legal proceedings wouldn't more members work in the current directors favour?

Edited by rosstheangler