Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Miltz308

Marker rod/fishing rod, clip at same distance?

Hi guys,

So I have just made my first visit to the UEA Broad, a new lake I'm going to be fishing over the next year. I found myself a nice hard spot and marked it out etc. It is 8 wraps out. Ive just finished spodding some bait over it, and my spod rod is clipped up at 5 wraps.

My question is, to ensure that I am fishing on the mark, how should I clip my fishing rods?

My marker is braided line and therefore there is no stretch, so if I clip my fishing rod to the same as my marker rod, due to the stretch of the mono on my fishing rod I will be slightly too far out.. won't I?

How would you guys get around this, and how much shorter would you clip the rod?

Cheers!

Miltz.

I think it depends on how far out your cast and how deep. did you clip the marker while the floats up or at lead?? also stretch contracts so it can shoot back towards you.

I'd always try to be my side of the spot to reduce line bite or spooking.

On deep waters its best to use two markers to be bang on.

I think it depends on how far out your cast and how deep. did you clip the marker while the floats up or at lead?? also stretch contracts so it can shoot back towards you.

I'd always try to be my side of the spot to reduce line bite or spooking.

On deep waters its best to use two markers to be bang on.

I forgot to mention the spot I'm fishing is almost exactly 20 ft deep! I also clipped the marker when the float was at the lead.

The difference will be minimal assuming your wraps are around 12 feet .

Thanks!

Edited by Miltz308

Hi guys,

So I have just made my first visit to the UEA Broad, a new lake I'm going to be fishing over the next year. I found myself a nice hard spot and marked it out etc. It is 8 wraps out. Ive just finished spodding some bait over it, and my spod rod is clipped up at 5 wraps.

My question is, to ensure that I am fishing on the mark, how should I clip my fishing rods?

My marker is braided line and therefore there is no stretch, so if I clip my fishing rod to the same as my marker rod, due to the stretch of the mono on my fishing rod I will be slightly too far out.. won't I?

How would you guys get around this, and how much shorter would you clip the rod?

Cheers!

Miltz.

Hi Miltz , I normally add an extra half a wrap for my spod rod to allow for the lack of stretch & have found that to be bang on.

If i've read it right ,To me you've just baited at least 14 yards short of your mark .

That's if your sticks are 12ft wide .

Edited by chillfactor

I put my marker out, and then aim to hit it before clipping up.

On twenty feet, believe it or not, you actually lose one third of the depth in distance as the lead swings in on a tight line, therefore you need to be that far past your marker float. In this case you need to be about 7feet beyond your marker.

Once in place I then mark the line with insulation tape or power gum before settling the indicator. I then tighten the line noting where the stop knot is positioned so I can clip up again exactly the same. As I reel in, or pick up the rod to reel in, I take off or reel in the line I need and clip up. Obviously this doesn't work if you have a take and a fish.

I don't bother using wraps. I can pace it off along the bank (less line twist), or my line marker I can cast out and get them in position.

On the lagoons, one of my features just happens to be the same distance from my swim to the second swim on Brackens. It is easy enough to walk it along the causeway to get it right.

Even if I can't walk it out, the line marker ensures I get it right, although I do check every few casts in case the line markers have moved up of down.

Hi Miltz , I normally add an extra half a wrap for my spod rod to allow for the lack of stretch & have found that to be bang on.

If i've read it right ,To me you've just baited at least 14 yards short of your mark .

I agree it seems short.

If the marker is at 8 wraps and the depth is 20 foot then, even if you assume that the marker is clipped up with the float on the surface and not at the lead, it's still roughly 6 yards short (Also assuming that it 12 foot a wrap).

I normally as the marker up to the surface. Cast my rod to the marker and clip my rod up that way.

Then do it round the sticks and then match my spod rod to the fishing rod but adding a few more feet to the spod.

I'm never to sure or really for the principle of how much the lead falls in the water and the distance more you need to cast to .

Something I am working on this winter ready for spring

Edited by boliecrazy69

Hi.

The way I see it, it's a right angle triangle.....the marker and rods are the same distance, assuming a "tight lines" approach (the longest bit). The "spod length" and the lake depth form the right angle and so the spod length should be shorter than the marker length. I would like to add a drawing but can't see how to upload one.

You can't ever get it spot on over the rig because of undertow bowing the line, under town moving the marker in relation to the rig, the profile of the lake bed and depth only really matters after about 15 feet, from memory.

In TC a few years ago, I think they got sub-Aqua people to check the bait vs the marker and there was always a broad spread as the Spombed/spodded bait falls to the lake floor.

Hence its not an exact science and it's what you feel most confident with.

Edited by tonymgarner

I watched a vid on youtube a few years back where a diver was at the marker lead and the lad was sure he was hitting the spot, i cant remember who it was. but he was short ever time, by 12+ foot. Guessing the arc of fall is tricky as it changes due to depth, length and where the rod tip is each cast.

stretch in mono also makes has a massive effect, I took a rig out in a boat while my mate held the rod, over the spot I shouted to take up the slack ...321 , I let go...........the rig flew away like a bullet . it must have missed the spot by 4-5 yards at least, crystal clear water but I never see where the rig landed. I now take the rod ,use a heavier lead and tighten down once back on the bank.

If using two markers it helps if the second is on mono if the fishing rod is on mono.

Chill, I left the marker float out there and was hitting it with my spod each time, so I know i got the spod the right distance, what I mean is, how far further should I cast my fishing rods to account for the arc? Also, its not the same as the marker rod cause thats braid (no stretch) and my fishing rods are mono (40% stretch apparently)! So my mono would be short when it landed?

Sorry mate - I know i didnt make myself very clear lol!

I agree it seems short.

If the marker is at 8 wraps and the depth is 20 foot then, even if you assume that the marker is clipped up with the float on the surface and not at the lead, it's still roughly 6 yards short (Also assuming that it 12 foot a wrap)

I put my marker out, and then aim to hit it before clipping up.

On twenty feet, believe it or not, you actually lose one third of the depth in distance as the lead swings in on a tight line, therefore you need to be that far past your marker float. In this case you need to be about 7feet beyond your marker.

Once in place I then mark the line with insulation tape or power gum before settling the indicator. I then tighten the line noting where the stop knot is positioned so I can clip up again exactly the same. As I reel in, or pick up the rod to reel in, I take off or reel in the line I need and clip up. Obviously this doesn't work if you have a take and a fish.

I don't bother using wraps. I can pace it off along the bank (less line twist), or my line marker I can cast out and get them in position.

On the lagoons, one of my features just happens to be the same distance from my swim to the second swim on Brackens. It is easy enough to walk it along the causeway to get it right.

Even if I can't walk it out, the line marker ensures I get it right, although I do check every few casts in case the line markers have moved up of down.

Thanks Nick. This is what I was on about, how much further I should cast to account for the arc. What do you think about accounting for the stretch in the mono as opposed to the braid?

Thanks for all the replies guys, I know i didnt make the original post very clear!!!

I watched a vid on youtube a few years back where a diver was at the marker lead and the lad was sure he was hitting the spot, i cant remember who it was. but he was short ever time, by 12+ foot. Guessing the arc of fall is tricky as it changes due to depth, length and where the rod tip is each cast.

stretch in mono also makes has a massive effect, I took a rig out in a boat while my mate held the rod, over the spot I shouted to take up the slack ...321 , I let go...........the rig flew away like a bullet . it must have missed the spot by 4-5 yards at least, crystal clear water but I never see where the rig landed. I now take the rod ,use a heavier lead and tighten down once back on the bank.

If using two markers it helps if the second is on mono if the fishing rod is on mono.

Beanz this is why i've done away with using a marker rod ,

At least when you find a spot with your actual fishing rods the arc & stretch are already in the equation .

I'm confident in adding half a wrap for the spomb rod as I know the baits falling over my rig then .

Most important thing as your boat experience has taught you is hitting the clip perfectly.

At least when you find a spot with your actual fishing rods the arc & stretch are already in the equation .

I'm confident in adding half a wrap for the spomb rod as I know the baits falling over my rig then .

Most important thing as your boat experience has taught you is hitting the clip perfectly.

I'm sure my success rate has suffered over the years as a result but it's one of the reasons why I have favoured fishing over a wide spread of Boilies for a long time now and even if I was fishing beyond catapult distance my normal fishing rod/mini Spomb combination would do the trick as pinpoint accuracy isn't required .

Only if you find the spot on the first drop of the cast though Phil. If you pull back any, then clip up, you still have to take account of any arc and stretch. X

Yes mate .... I only clip it up after finding it after the initial cast .

When pulling back I'll use something on the bank as a guide to how many yards I'm pulling back as a rough guide . Then find it again on the cast as long as I don't need to pull back more than a couple of feet to find what I'm looking for , I'm happy to clip it up .

As beanz mentioned I prefer to be bankside edge of the area anyway.

Been thinking about this ..... do we give to much thought to the line stretch on the cast ?

On the initial cast surely the only stretch that occurs is from bail arm to lead , once the initial force of the cast is over and the line is peeling off the reel the line isn't being stretched & if your hitting the clip spot on & not hard how much stretch is there at this point ? Not much imo.

Would explain why I've been finding just using my fishing rods for feature finding and clipping up pretty spot on .

Was talking to a mate the other day and we both thinking a long the same lines .

I've been planning on ditching the marker now for some time. Slowly want to work out seconds to how long I feels drop to work out the depth.

By going back to chillifactor, I'm guessing you've got a mono or flurocarbon on your carp rods,do you think this makes you get a lot less of a fill of what's on the bottom rather than braid?

I agree with the stretch only being from lead to bail arm/ finger...though its the only  place in can stretch, isnt it? lol, but from the trip out in the boat I think the contraction from the stretch makes the lead recoil back to you. I do think a perfect cast reduces this effect compared to over hitting the clip, but once you feather/feel the lead down you add stretch into the mono, which has to react....the time in the boat, the line wasnt bow string tight, it was arcing still, just mending the line if you like.

different monos though will behave different, this at the time, was ESP Olive ...I binned it soon after as it twisted real bad.

Using the same line/setup to feature find/fish will behave almost identical IMO, so will never be too far off. but thats not to say they arent recoiling back towards you  :idea: 

Yes mate mono ...been using touchdown which has noticeably less stretch than most mono .

So whether that's swaying me towards this thinking I"m not sure .

Can still feel what's going on though on the bottom with it.

I put this on my missus's reels, as she is [censored] at feeling down and thought it may help...I was well impressed...korda touchdown is kool!!

Edited by beanz

I put this on my missus's reels, as she is [censored] at feeling down and thought it may help...I was well impressed...korda touchdown is kool!!

It censored out "useless" how odd!!  :mrgreen:

Edited by beanz