Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

 

Bet u was caked in mud looking at that pic lol

Other than playing the fish I was able to avoid the worst of it😉, walking next to the footpath which was all ivy leaves. There is a proper wooden walkway under the river cliff

 

The Wensum is up a good couple of feet, that current is really boiling, although to the right is always a slack on the outside of a bend. That area has produced carp and barbel to double figures (not to me sadly), chub to 5, roach to 2 as well as pike. I have also caught some big dace trotting maggots on a stick float.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Other than playing the fish I was able to avoid the worst of it😉, walking next to the footpath which was all ivy leaves. There is a proper wooden walkway under the river cliff

 

The Wensum is up a good couple of feet, that current is really boiling, although to the right is always a slack on the outside of a bend. That area has produced carp and barbel to double figures (not to me sadly), chub to 5, roach to 2 as well as pike. I have also caught some big dace trotting maggots on a stick float.

I read something by John Wilson about the health of the wensum just before he left for Thailand. He seemed pretty down hearted on it. Said the big roach had all but dissapeared 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

I read something by John Wilson about the health of the wensum just before he left for Thailand. He seemed pretty down hearted on it. Said the big roach had all but dissapeared 

It comes and goes. I think Early 70's was a good roach time, then they died off, early to late 80's then they disappeared until the 90's then gone again. The big roach area, fish over 3lb was upstream of Swanton Morley Great Witchingham.

A couple of years ago a mate had a couple around a pound again at Drayton.

The barbel in the area, was only 3 or 4 doubles, with one being caught all along the 3 mile stretch to a number of anglers between 11 and 13lbs. The majority of a few fish were between 7 and 8lb.

 

I used to catch numbers of pike in that area, now there are less, with a few big ones, but less jacks. I was catching dace again last year that have reappeared. The fish I was catching looked healthy, so I think there are still some good pike around. Last time I fished that swim, again it was one pike, but the mackeral deadbait it took was the same size as the pike...

The chub are still around but keeping away from the shallows downstream they used to show on before otters were in the valley in numbers.

 

There are otters, I think the fish are still there, but not being so obvious, moving into faster deeper water. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

It comes and goes. I think Early 70's was a good roach time, then they died off, early to late 80's then they disappeared until the 90's then gone again. The big roach area, fish over 3lb was upstream of Swanton Morley Great Witchingham.

A couple of years ago a mate had a couple around a pound again at Drayton.

The barbel in the area, was only 3 or 4 doubles, with one being caught all along the 3 mile stretch to a number of anglers between 11 and 13lbs. The majority of a few fish were between 7 and 8lb.

 

I used to catch numbers of pike in that area, now there are less, with a few big ones, but less jacks. I was catching dace again last year that have reappeared. The fish I was catching looked healthy, so I think there are still some good pike around. Last time I fished that swim, again it was one pike, but the mackeral deadbait it took was the same size as the pike...

The chub are still around but keeping away from the shallows downstream they used to show on before otters were in the valley in numbers.

 

There are otters, I think the fish are still there, but not being so obvious, moving into faster deeper water. 

 

 

Hoping to catch some big roach and perch on the broads this year. What would you say a reasonable target is for a weeks holiday. I was hoping 2lb on each. It'll be great fun trying regardless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got to the river for 8am, first cast with a dead roach on the float paternostered rod, and this chunky double took the bait within minutes, before I'd even rolled my first ciggie.

Thinking i'd landed on them I stayed put casting around with smelt, roach and dead trout, but no more joy.

Rest of the morning it got colder and colder until with the northerly wind it got quite uncomfortable. Having had a fish I packed up at 12.15.

Chunky 10lb pike, todays view and Sky watching the world

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I got to the river for 8am, first cast with a dead roach on the float paternostered rod, and this chunky double took the bait within minutes, before I'd even rolled my first ciggie.

Thinking i'd landed on them I stayed put casting around with smelt, roach and dead trout, but no more joy.

Rest of the morning it got colder and colder until with the northerly wind it got quite uncomfortable. Having had a fish I packed up at 12.15.

Chunky 10lb pike, todays view and Sky watching the world

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bitterly cold day mate. Your a braver man than me 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 small pike from today that took a lamprey nearly as big as he was. Thought I was on them again to start another early take, but when this came to the bank I figured the mummas were somewhere else so kept moving swims until I had to get back

Fishing in the snow and a couple of todays swims, it was bright to start!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/02/2018 at 08:03, yonny said:

Lovely part of the country Phil, my parents had a place in Cromer so we used to spend a lot of time there. We'd visit Sherringham, Salthouse and Wells too, happy times for me and my twin brother.

Went to Cromer mate ..... nearly got blown off the pier :lol:

Will definitely head back over that way again at some point . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, cant resist reporting this capture by one of the Estates old gaurd, a workmate of mine for 16 years and father of the two brothers that caught so many off our lake, 44 pound plus Pike from Ravensthorpe, he is the Bailliff on Ecton now retired, chub supremo not bad with Barbel, carp are his sideline, apparently it was in the Angling Times, not bad for an all rounder, well done Brendan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can some one tell me what the crack with pike fishing in summer is? I know some people do, some don't, others frown upon it.  I only ask as I'm on the broads this summer and I'm unsure whether to fish for them 

Edited by Dannygooner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are out of condition during the summer months, but very active, most of the trout reservoirs and country parks have a restricted time for Pike fishing, but it doesnt mean they are not catchable, quite the opposite, they are more active but having an earlier spawning tme means they take longer to recover from the energy expended during the colder months, if it aint banned, do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, carpmachine said:

They are out of condition during the summer months, but very active, most of the trout reservoirs and country parks have a restricted time for Pike fishing, but it doesnt mean they are not catchable, quite the opposite, they are more active but having an earlier spawning tme means they take longer to recover from the energy expended during the colder months, if it aint banned, do it.

A bit of clarity on the matter at long last. 👍🏻. Nice one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dannygooner said:

Can some one tell me what the crack with pike fishing in summer is? I know some people do, some don't, others frown upon it.  I only ask as I'm on the broads this summer and I'm unsure whether to fish for them 

I used to fish 12 months a year for them, you will get some great sport from them in the summer months but please please give them plenty of recovery time. 

Don't forget they look hard as nails but they are a very delicate fish. 

Good luck with your fishing Danny. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×