One for you home made bait guys

chillfactor

Possibly one of the best ways to use Belachan IMO or any high in amino's type product, crumbling it into hemp is another one and really switches the fish on.

Used it quite a bit last year in with particles. Grated and then added. Placing boilies and paste into a bucket, you can see how much quicker the paste leaks off and breaks down.

Glad you enjoyed Churn Phil, lovely place.

I've been a couple of times and always really enjoyed it.

Did you have much trouble with the crays? They were destroying my party last time we were there and if I went again it would be wooden hookbaits all round! I reeled one rod in and they had chopped 600mm of tungsten tubing behind the lead into neat little 5mm sections along the whole length! Haha, must have had some fish oil on it or something...

I baited all the traps (I took deadbaits for the Pike and had a whale of a time wobbling!) over 2 days last time and came home with 2 full buckets of big juicy crays, yum!

Great venue isn't it Tony .

The creys weren't anything like as bad as last summer when I went last .

That was just madness & was only fishing effectively off the top that time, anything on the bottom was nailed by the creys .

This time with it still being early in the year & colder they certainly weren't anywhere near as bad mate .

Going again in August so will be crey city again then I reckon!

Yeah cracking place, I'll have to get back there myself maybe next year or even later this year if I can swing it.

Exactly the same experience as me mate, they are ravenous (But very tasty!) things. Hardened hookbaits were gone in about 3hrs and they were eating tubing, putty, shrink tube, even chewing the lead coating!!! It's a horrible sinking feeling when you reel in trashed, baitless rigs in the morning.

I left a wobbled deadbait out on the bottom for maybe 20mins while I was doing something, and when I reeled it in, there was a cray "Inside" the bait! 8-O

Remind me before the casting day and I'll turn you a few hardwood balls and bring them along for you, they won't eat those!

Glad you enjoyed Churn Phil, lovely place.

I've been a couple of times and always really enjoyed it.

Did you have much trouble with the crays? They were destroying my party last time we were there and if I went again it would be wooden hookbaits all round! I reeled one rod in and they had chopped 600mm of tungsten tubing behind the lead into neat little 5mm sections along the whole length! Haha, must have had some fish oil on it or something...

I baited all the traps (I took deadbaits for the Pike and had a whale of a time wobbling!) over 2 days last time and came home with 2 full buckets of big juicy crays, yum!

Crays and tubing!

I think Tungsten tubing is made with fish oil in the plastic!

The little blighters have regularly chopped mine into tiny pieces, so have given up using it, gone back to either no tubing, or plain ordinary tubing.

Even meshed baits have been had, double and triple layers of mesh left in a blob on the hair, so I have gone back to wooden hookbaits again.

I did recommend when Ian (Welder) said he was fishing a crazy crazy infested water he looked at soaked wooden balls, and I believe I put up a link to a supplier on flea bay, so it may be worth a search.

I soak mine in a mix of MetaMino and Marine17 with sunflower oil so it gets absorbed into them.

Funnily enough Nick, most plastics have Epoxidised Soya Bean Oil added to them as a "Plasticiser"! 

I listened to an interview with Frank Warwick recently where he discussed plastics, the Enterprise ones contain a Fish Emulsion which is a by product of the fishmeal industry, which one of the reasons the plastics work straight out of the packet  8)

• 2 months later...

Was getting my normal sacks of particle etc from my farm suppliers the other day .

Had a look at some of the horse feed pellets as I heard some people mention them before.

What struck me was the copper/ zinc / & other metals included obviously needed in a horse diet..... but can't imagine there much good for fish ? What's your take on it ?

They do have dietary requirements for such elements mate

Mineral requirements

Mineral requirements are summarized in Table 4.3. Common carp requires cobalt, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus and zinc. Since common carp lacks an acid-secreting stomach essential for digesting and solubilizing various compounds containing both calcium and phosphorus, the availability of phosphorus depends on the water solubility. Phosphorus from tricalcium phosphate or fishmeal (FM) is less available than that from the more soluble mono- and dicalcium phosphates. Supplementation of monobasic phosphate to FM-based diets resulted in an increase in growth response of common carp (Takeuchi, Satoh and Kiron, 2002).

It was also found that exogenous supply of copper, manganese, magnesium and zinc is necessary for carp diets. Tricalcium phosphate may inhibit the availability of trace elements, such as zinc and manganese, although to a much lesser extent than in rainbow trout (Satoh et al., 1989). Dabrowska, Meyer-Burgdorff and Gunther (1991) found a significant interaction between magnesium supply and protein level of feed when feeding young carp with diets containing graded levels of magnesium and protein. A magnesium level of 0.6 g/kg was required to elevate plasma and bone magnesium content and to reduce clinical signs of hypercalcinosis, but a further increase of dietary magnesium up to 3.2 g/kg did not affect fish growth. In magnesium-deficient fish, a considerable amount of magnesium was absorbed via extra-oral routes; however, this way of meeting the need for magnesium is inadequate in fast-growing fish. These non-oral routes of mineral uptake may be important, especially in pond conditions. In a study on the interaction between zinc deficiency and lipid intake, Taneja and Arya (1994) observed that the malabsorption of nutrients was linked to the deposition of lipid in the intestine.

The rest of the info can be found here quite a useful link  :wink: http://www.fao.org/fishery/affris/species-profiles/common-carp/nutritional-requirements/en/

Was getting my normal sacks of particle etc from my farm suppliers the other day .

Had a look at some of the horse feed pellets as I heard some people mention them before.

What struck me was the copper/ zinc / & other metals included obviously needed in a horse diet..... but can't imagine there much good for fish ? What's your take on it ?

Every animal has a requirement for minerals, sheep, horses, cows, pigs, humans and carp, although actual requirements vary from species to species.

Even on area to area, animals requirements differ in terms of supplements that they need.

Imagine sheep over an iron rich area, eating the grass, probably need less supplemented iron than some others in other areas.

Items like cooper are literally required as trace elements, so guessing if it is present in high levels in the mentioned pellets then might cause issues as its designed to help digestion i think in horses as carp would not require this part.

I have also read that copper is a no-no at levels above trace so tread carefully. If your looking for a good bulker at relatively low cost then have a look at allen and page turkey starter crumb. Protein at 22% with some good added bits and pieces

Turkey Starter Crumbs Composition and Nutritional Additives

TURKEY STARTER CRUMBS Product Code 2510-20

Smallholder Range, IP25 7SD Tel: 01362 822902

A COMPLETE FEED for TURKEY CHICKS

Composition:

Wheat, Organic Soya Expeller, Wheat Feed, Di-calcium Phosphate, Maize Gluten, Linseed Expeller, Calcium Carbonate, Yeast, Salt

Additives (per kg)

Vitamins: E672 Vitamin A: 14.0 k iu (as retinyl acetate); E671 Vitamin D3: 3.0 k iu (as cholecalciferol); E3a700 Vitamin E: 80.0mg (as all-rac-alpha-tocopheryl acetate)

Trace elements: 49mg Ferrous Sulphate Monohydrate (E1-Iron); 41mg Zinc Oxide (E6-Zinc); 63mg Manganous Oxide (E5-Manganese); 0.38mg Calcium Iodate Anhydrous (E2-Iodine); 0.37mg Sodium Selenite (E8-Selenium)

The Lysine and Methionine in this feed are from natural sources - synthetic amino acids are not used in this feed.