Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
snoozer

Best Silt presentation ?

Just wanted some opinions on rigs to present over approx 12" of Silt ?

Steve's given me an indication of depth and past tactics but i fancy trying 3 different approaches to see which if any result in some Carpy interest.

Heli lead setup for me with the bead set just over 12" and probably a braided hooklink of about 10 inch,  my personal preference would be for a balanced bottom bait/wafter just to make sure the bait just sits on top.  I would have thought you would get a multitude of different answer to this one. 

2oz lead, 12" coated braid hooklink with a snowman.

bung the above in a solid bag of pellets and crumb with a little air, bung that in another solid baggie with a little more air (depending on depth of lake that is) and feel it down.

i would try that, fail and then come on here asking the very same question :lol:

I'd go with a heli setup with a slightly stiffer hook-link (I tend to find braided links can tangle with the top bead set higher up the leader). I'd set the bead at least 16 " back to ensure the stiff link doesn't sit badly due to being pulled into the silt. If it's smooth silt with no debris I'll go with a bottom bait, if it's choddy I'll go with a HSR. Lead will be heavy enough to reach the spot, no more.

If they're clearly up to their gills in it I'd happily set the top bead by the lead and use a longish braided link that can be pulled right into the silt.

Cheers Gents for all the input, I'll be adopting some different methods mentioned and see where i end up.

Steve when i packed up and wandered round where Rob had fished on my way out the Bailiff had hauled 2 out so there is Fish in here lol

I'm gonna pick 3 between now and when i get back Sunday 7th Feb weather permitting and see how they feel, I wasn't confident my Baits were presented so the Fishies could get at them however i assume the Carp can and do poke around in the silt for food so maybe slightly buried wouldn't be a problem ?

I'm missing a crucial part of fishing in that i never feel the lead down on the cast so i might have to give that some thought..

Might just join you for a few hours, i am on holiday that week, my birthday , Mick, caught two, crikey must be a new moon, bet he told you all about it, great bloke, very chatty man, hee hee.

Nice one, You can carry my gear so i can see how it's done with a run up that weee incline lol

Just seen a snowcarp, a 27 pounder Rob landed on the last day of last year, never seen it before, Mick neither and he has 33 years on this lake, great picture linear mirror unmarked, who knows what lurks in the depths, pinched my spot today, hard on the willow snag, getting twitchy bites on a very short combi with flouro pop up.

Just confirms what we suspect that some Carp never get caught or very very seldom do they get a visit to the Bank.

Saw mick, its unusual to get two in a day session at this time of the year, he was using a bait recommended by Rob, those two no a lot of tricks for winter and they like to chat, good info for winter reluctants like me, i get useful info without freezing, all good stuff, its nice having mates who fish when i dont.

Yep great when fellow anglers are prepared to share their tactics rather than keep them all secret or worse steer you in another direction :(

Heli lead setup for me with the bead set just over 12" and probably a braided hooklink of about 10 inch,  my personal preference would be for a balanced bottom bait/wafter just to make sure the bait just sits on top.  I would have thought you would get a multitude of different answer to this one. 

Hutch what supple braid would you suggest for the rig ?

I've only ever brought made up heli's.

I have some made up heli rigs which are great but can't remember where i purchased so i need to make some up.

They're supply braid around 15lb with a 1.5oz lead shrink tubed one end and i nice loop for a quick change the other..

Hutch what supple braid would you suggest for the rig ?

This is another 1 of those questions where you ask 20 people and get 20 different answers  :lol: , but for me the best braid is still Kryston Supernova mate

This is another 1 of those questions where you ask 20 people and get 20 different answers  :lol: , but for me the best braid is still Kryston Supernova mate

Thats why i asked you as opposed to throwing the question out there lol, I didn't need confusing lol

I have some made up heli rigs which are great but can't remember where i purchased so i need to make some up.

They're supply braid around 15lb with a 1.5oz lead shrink tubed one end and i nice loop for a quick change the other..

Just had a thought is that leader material you were asking about or hooklink braid  :?:

Don't use them, Im a naked kinda man myself  :lol:  :lol:, I have heard the avid stuff is pretty good and also the fox submerge, but it might be better if someone who has first hand experience of using such materials lets you know know what they use  

Don't use them, Im a naked kinda man myself  :lol:  :lol:, I have heard the avid stuff is pretty good and also the fox submerge, but it might be better if someone who has first hand experience of using such materials lets you know know what they use  

It's the anti tangle benefit of braid that leads me down that route rather than tubing over mono or fluro but it's not set in stone Hutch.

It's the anti tangle benefit of braid that leads me down that route rather than tubing over mono or fluro but it's not set in stone Hutch.

Kev why do you feel you need a leader ?

Kev why do you feel you need a leader ?

Anti tangle Tim, i think it's better than Mono with tubing as i feel that can present itself un naturally on the lake bed as apposed to supple Braid.

But always open to suggestions from more experianced like yourself mate.

Anti tangle Tim, i think it's better than Mono with tubing as i feel that can present itself un naturally on the lake bed as apposed to supple Braid.

But always open to suggestions from more experianced like yourself mate.

I feel Hutch has the right idea with the naked helicopter rig set up .

I'd be employing a naked Chod or a stiff hinged on that heli set up which will be tangle free by definition , with the top bead as high as the silt is deep .

Won't sink into the silt like I feel a braided hook length may ?

Depends on whether you have a well sinking mainline or not but unless your casting long and/or liable to be fishing over mussels etc then I can see absolutely no need for a leader of any kind tbh .

Just another knot to go too .

Edited by newmarket