so , before the end of the world or the borders with Europe shut , I'm going to try and catch a 44 kg carp on a "PUBLIC WATER "  big French lake . ive heard these lakes are easy ! :wink::mrgreen: 

ive got around £400 , ish to get me a spod rod n reel and  3 reels to hurl some monster casts out to the horizon  to mount on 12 foot soniks with 3 lb tc , if the ends don't snap off !

so these are some of the reels ive looked at

daiwa  emblem or emcast  !   penn affinity ! shimano aerlex !  or one of the sonik  tournos   !

Any info would be much appreciated !

cheers nick I use the shimano 10000's and they have been great up to now but maybe a little limiting ! just remembered that the northern angling show is on this weekend so ! Perfect place to gather some debt tomorrow  !

I was using 10000's on Nazeing as my fishing reels, but discovered I was limiting casting distance. I don't mind being able to spod further than I can fish, but I did see some fish I simply couldn't cast to without bigger reels.

As much as I like the thought of the Aerlex Spod reel, I think a standard Aerlex is cheaper!

Got those Beastmasters for fishing with, baitrunner spool, and still have my Aerlexs for marker and spod rods.

You know when you set off with a strict budget in mind ? :cry:

after a good moooooch round I finally found Erics  , and not wanting to  create  a birds nest on every take because I have only fished baitrunners , for carp , I settled for shimano XTA longcast  , three of them ,and an aerlex 7000 spod ,

and a shimano TX spod rod 5 lb tc !  :mrgreen: 

All is well until my next credit card bill !  :confused: :confused: :confused:

You know when you set off with a strict budget in mind ? :cry:

after a good moooooch round I finally found Erics  , and not wanting to  create  a birds nest on every take because I have only fished baitrunners , for carp , I settled for shimano XTA longcast  , three of them ,and an aerlex 7000 spod ,

and a shimano TX spod rod 5 lb tc !  :mrgreen: 

All is well until my next credit card bill !  :confused: :confused: :confused:

I went the other way a few years ago.

I'd been used to Aerlex's with no Baitrunner, a half turn on the drag on pick up to tighten from giving line to not. I bought the DL's and first time I used them, in front of my son, forgot the baitrunner. The result was a large birds nest as I couldn't work out what I'd done wrong as the clutch and baitrunner tension are both on back k nob.

Soon got used to them though. The only problem as I said was the lack of casting distance when I needed to wind them up with 90m being about tops with 0.35mm line

• 1 month later...