Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi, I'm new to carp fishing and was wondering if there were any places that I may be able to get help or lessons with my casting? I would like to be more accurate and be able to feather the cast to feel the bottom.

I live in Dorset,

If anyone could help or point me in the right direction it would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

AndyH

Welcome to the forum. .... cm he doesn't mention long distance just that he needs to learn the technique for feathering & feeling down the lead .

You can teach Yourself this at your local water , cast out slow the line down with your first finger then trap the line on the spool just before it hits the water , keep the line trapped as the lead sinks rod up and try and feel the lead hit the bottom .

Just takes a bit of practice as you progress your probably find you start to lower the rod to match the sink rate of the lead , this will reduce the arc back of the lead towards you.

Like most things the more you do it the better you will become .

Welcome to Carp.com.

I have moved this into New to Carp.com, so hopefully you get a good welcome from everyone on here.

Casting and feathering is a skill you can teach yourself, although casting lessons can help to get rid of any bad habits you may have picked up.

Here are my basic tips for casting, and I know I probably have a few bad habits.

In your swim, for each spot find yourself a 'launch pad', back from the edge of the swim so you don't overbalance and take yourself head first into the drink.

I am right handed, so I put my left foot slightly forward facing where I am casting to. My right foot is back but still facing forward. This should give you a good casting 'platform' for accuracy and distance.

Pick a spot above where you are casting to, so although you may be fishing to a marker, aim above it, or to a far bank tree or swim for example.

Give yourself a good casting drop, I have my lead in line with the rod spigot join. With your left hand holding the rod butt, and your right hand on the reel seat, middle and forefinger in front of the reel stem, then your other two fingers behind it. Your forefinger is then used to hold the line. Make sure the line is free running, not twisted around the rod or any ring. I often open the bail arm and just 'ping' the line with my forefinger to check it.

With your right hand start pushing the rod forward, your left hand and body should follow naturally. If you start with your left hand you may find you don't put the power in correctly.

As you release the line with your forefinger, watch the cast, and keep the rod at the angle of the line leaving the spool, don't raise it or drop it until the lead touches the water. Then trapping the line you can feel it down, feathering the cast, and feeling the lead to the lakebed.

You'll probably get slightly differing advice, everyone has a slightly different way that suits them.

Nick , would you say that it would be worthwhile trying the rod out beforehand to see if its the correct size for you to maximise your cast , or just getting a reel on the bottom section on a rod to see if its the right size for you,

so as it pivots in your right hand it doesn't stop short and stick in your tummy

One thing I took away from tuition is that consistency is key in being accurate.

Like Nick has said, set yourself up with a decent platform, use the same drop on the lead etc. So everything is the same every single cast.

Then practice, practice and practice.

Maybe choose a method, such as the method feeder that requires constant recasting when fishing. So you're constantly practicing when fishing.

If you're fishing to a feature get used to clipping up/using distance sticks or a marker on your line.

Nick , would you say that it would be worthwhile trying the rod out beforehand to see if its the correct size for you to maximise your cast , or just getting a reel on the bottom section on a rod to see if its the right size for you,

so as it pivots in your right hand it doesn't stop short and stick in your tummy

Definitely, although I'm difficult as I like to be able to hold the reel, and my elbow is just above the end of the rod butt, I guess that means the reel is 60cm from the end of the butt.

If the distance between the reel and butt is too long, then it will be difficult to cast, and may get you in the stomach.

For a few years after my chemo I lost the feeling in my finger tips and I couldn't feel the lead down. Only after watching a mate cast and feel the drop did I pick up on a handy trick, ( I'd always watched the spot I'd cast too) If you watch the rod tip, its possible to visualize the donk !! ....after watching the donk a few times , I felt it back on my finger  8) ......since, I watch the tip nearly always, as if it donks but the tip doesn't straighten it normally means I'v snag in weed. which I may of happily fished before!!!