Leaving the rods out of the water

I'm really interested to see your views and logic on if you ever deliberately leave your rods out of the water when you're angling (so, you choose not to fish when you could be). In what circumstances do you not fish, in order to (presumably) fish better later on?

I understand letting fish feed on bait without getting hooked to allow them to gain confidence; but this is in respond to a video I just watched where the angler is on a day ticket water for a day session. Based on a previous session he believes the best time for a bite is after 3pm where he will have 4 hours of light before he has to pull off. It doesn't make sense to me at the moment so I'm wondering what if anything I'm missing?

Hi Danny , CM will have something to say on this I reckon . About utilising your time , he'll say better 4 hours fishing at the right time than 24 when you won't get a bite .

Having said that he lives 5 mins from the lake :) and most of us don't have that luxury .

I've been known to rest my swim in the past . Everyone likes to have their rig in the water at dawn and dusk . Bite time on my lake was always between 11am and 2pm most of the time so may have rested the swim for a couple of hours am and late pm too.

Sometimes even all night but not often. I think I caught one fish during the night , but enough to keep the rods out .

Hope you & yours are well mate :wink:

Some interesting replies. Howdy Tim. Very well thank you. Resting a baited swim I still agree, I see the sense in that - basically the normal reasons for prebaiting apply. I'm just repeating myself but if you're there, it's not a swim you've baited prior, or not much, you think bite time is going to be between x and y o'clock. What you're saying is you don't think fish will feed (much/at all) outside that window. What harm is there having a rod in the water? Personally I would much rather have a rod in the water even if I think it's not looking good for a bite. Thats because I've learnt that I'm wrong often, fish don't care what I think looks like good angling conditions. I figure sometimes fish are going to eat in conditions that to us will seem inexplicable. I'm tempted to post the video clip now but I don't like seeing people get bashed if others disagree with the guys approach.

Personally I would much rather have a rod in the water even if I think it's not looking good for a bite. Thats because I've learnt that I'm wrong often, fish don't care what I think looks like good angling conditions.

Spot on fella - as soon as I think I've really cracked a place the carp do what they always do which is move the goalposts! I've no idea how many times I've caught carp bang in the middle of 'no bite time' but it's a lot.

Hmm, its all about percentages at the end of the day, true catch windows move throughout the year and doing 4 to 6 hour sessions, i like to catch, i will pick the appropriate catch window for the season and weather conditions and try to give myself maximum chance of getting a result. I used to fish a local leisure park for Tench, crack of dawn till 9, then go home and return at seven in the evening, it wasnt hard, it was easy, but the holiday makers racked up after breakfast and went home at six complaining there was no fish in the lake. The resting theory is slightly different, fish are aware of lines and leads in the water and it makes them wary, outside the catch window, the ideal is no lines in the water and let them settle down, this will improve your chances during the time of maximum chance, as has been said the odd fish will still be caught at any time but i have other things to do.

I think angling pressure is crucial on some lakes and on these lakes I couldn't agree more re the lines and leads.

The lake I'm talking about I've fished on and off since I was 12 and bite time has never been any different and not just Carp either .

Tiddlers you can catch till the cows come home but any specimen sized fish , be it Carp , Tench , Crucians or whatever , all seem to have this Bite time .

I must have caught bundles of fish from there over the years but very few outside of this time .

The good thing in my case was that being mostly a day ticket , very few anglers concentrated on that that lake in paticular and the regulars or campaign anglers reaped the benefits .

As you would expect .

Having said that , during the periods when I didn't really expect to catch I always tried to utilise my time to the max . Stalking , baiting up a margin for the following evening just in case or even just making rigs .

I would never have better things to do away from any lake :)

I'v reeled in on a Friday afternoon on Elsons after having the lake to myself on the Thursday and let all the weekender's turn up , lead about ,spod and get their lines out, then late evening I cast out again .....Had my best ever night on there that night!!

If I'm aware of bite times I'm happy to reel in, bait and go for wander. Resting the swim is one of the many things in fishing that you can't say works or doesn't work (unless you can time travel ?)

Well I think this might lead nicely into a conversation about exactly what 'angling pressure' is as far as the fish are concerned? Do we literally think lines in the water are sensed by our scaly quarry or is it splashing of spombs, leads, bait? And/or bankside noise and movement? Or all of the above?

There so many variables there's no right or wrong answer some waters resting the swim will catch more fish some the disturbance of re casting after resting the swim may spook the fis,h like so many things in carp fishing it's knowing when to do the right time. It's whare so many people go wrong they try and fish every lake the same or they read an article or watched something on telly and do these things with out knowing why there really doing it. Busy waters paticularly on longer sessions resting the swim can be a massive advantage. Take somewhere like linearst johns just as an example if i was doing 3 days I'd happily bait the swim and not fish for 24 hours purely because it's different to everybody else and I'd bait a spot close in and watch it and I'd fish when the opertunities arise and more often than not that margin spot will give you opertunities purely because it's different to what everybody else is doing. You can outfush everybody on the margin spot alone with the added bonus of the open water spots been left and pre baited for 24 hours. I may not do it everytime but I wouldn't hesitate to do it when I feel the times right.

I have fished a few waters where night time was bite time from your static swim, it just didn't produce a take during the daylight on static rods.

During the day I would go stalking or floater fishing in an attempt to find a few other fish, which often did work, with numbers of floater caught fish.

Taverham and Earith were both in this bracket, but other lakes have produced takes at any time of the day, so you had to be fishing 24 hours.

In terms of disturbance I prefer to get my baiting out of the way before other anglers. If they reel in and rebait at say 3pm, then I get mine out of the way by 12.

The reason being I make disturbance, a bit of fresh bait, maybe a few recasts with stringers, and I may spook the fish out of the way. If other anglers reel in and rebait at 3, then they spook the fish from their swim and back into mine.

I don't get the ' rest a swim', the carp can get used to a state of affairs, lines going through the water, whereas when you recast you are spooking them away again.

It may be that carp do have a time when they are feeding most competitively, and are most catchable, but there are many carp who don't read the rule book, or behave the same as others.

I have caught a few fish that I had to have the bait in the water, non stop, for two days at a time. On Brackens I caught a new thirty this way. I baited the swim when I arrived, and cast onto that bait. It took 2 days until that fish took the hookbait. Had I reeled in and rested it I may well have not caught that fish. The other rod was regularly recast to the far bank, that rod produced four fish, but none was over 22.

It can be a fresh recast produces a fish, maybe just moving the hookbait may make it seem safe, maybe the stringer, with fresh baits, becomes the danger, with a safe 'old' hookbait catches them out.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not often I see a topic I like to chip in with, butT I think a lot of us are guilty of forgetting what we learnt whilst fishing as kids. I did a lot of match fishing and you always, without fail, kept two lines (areas in the swim) baited up, and switched from one to another as bites started to dry up. Giving an area a rest for an hour gives the fish a chance to build up their confidence as they can eat without one of their mates being yanked out of the water. There's also lots of us who might bait a margin spot for a day or so and then fish over it later on a long session.

I don't think it's different waters with different fish, I think it's something that works everywhere (thousands of matchmen can't be wrong) but I think we all are guilty of trying to maximise our fishing time, myself included.

I am feeling the same, especially on smaller waters when it comes to not baiting up other areas with other anglers.

On Brackens if an angler was in Antz, you could not fish the best spot from Bridge, although from Antz you would avoid the spot as it could result in snagged and lost fish, whereas the angle from Bridge was right to land them without them getting snagged.

Same with fishing Suicide, you had access to many areas and a more comfortable (safer swim) to play fish from without disturbance than Boards, which was a wooden platform over the water.

As a silver fish angler I often feed a couple of areas, a ground baited area further out and a loose feed area closer in. You would start fishing the loose fed spot and take a few silvers, then after an hour or so, try the ground baited spot for the chance of a bream, tench or carp. Nothing there, maybe put in a bit more Groundbait or some loosefed with a feeder, and go back to the original loose feed.

I prefer to stick to one spot as on a lot of waters I have fished I have seen fish take a couple of days to move over bait. My hookbait may actually have to be in that spot for a longer time. Move it and you blank, leave it and catch almost.

You may blank by leaving it in situ for a couple of days, but I have had more success leaving it than by moving it!

On Taverham Mills, we experienced a change over time of the fish taking bait first night to leaving it until it had been in the spot for a couple of days. At the start of our fishing there (Wamps and myself) you could catch almost every night over what was a brilliant bait, Mariner Mix, but after a couple of years, the fish stopped picking up fresh baits.

When I finished fishing there around 2000, on catching a twenty, I had been fishing that spot for 3 days until a fish picked up. Talking to other anglers, this had become a regular occurrence, no matter whether you were baiting with pellets, hemp and corn or boilies alone.

If you read Tim Paisley's More From The Bivvy, he often tries different spots in a longer session.

Ah blessed be 50 acres of lake where you never have to worry about fishing other people's spots . Would that be an example of when to use washed out bait? That way you can try different spots, especially on a long session (personally I've never done it, and never ended up fishing brackens, so I can't comment with experience). Not picking holes, just curious if it was a method tried and successful or not (just in case I ever renew my ticket )

On Brackens the left in position rod produced a 30 that had never been caught at that weight before (verified by other anglers as I had one of them do my photos), and numbers of fish that didn't often get caught.

Washed out baits weren't a tactic I tried that often, as it was sometimes a fair while between sessions (3 weeks or so), and I wasn't going to keep lake water in a bucket that long, and I wouldn't use tap water due to the added minerals.

On most occasions I had prebaited the last of my boilies by putting them in margin spots 'on the sly', not visibly in front of other anglers.

I use an older hookbait actually as a 'safe' bait, with fresh baits on a stringer as the 'dangerous' baits if you know what I mean, and that has produced numbers of fish. After looking close to the snags and corner, on landing a fish, I have seen the stringer boilies still sat there, but obviously I have hooked and landed a fish on the older hookbait.

I have tried washed out baits, and to be honest, it never made that much difference to my fishing. I think the washed out baits tactics works best when baits haven't been prebaited properly, as I think there is still a weekend disturbance syndrome. Everyone Baits up on Friday, fish won't feed comfortably until Sunday, so the area doesn't get visited for 2 days, and that 48hour baiting up may actually become standard for the carp. As in they could avoid an area for 2 days after baiting up at anytime, which I'm positive does happen, not just at weekends!

lots of other guys too Mufty, but i still reckn the fish get preoccupied with it, particle with particle, boilies over boilies will produce more consistent results, alah Jim Shelley and Dave Lane, i think its a mistake.

I always mix my baits up ,just like to be different I suppose.

I'm doing 3 days at Farlows next month and I've been speaking to guys down there through Facebook as I've never been before and have been advised to go for the boilie only approach.

I will be doing the opposite lol

I always mix my baits up ,just like to be different I suppose.

I'm doing 3 days at Farlows next month and I've been speaking to guys down there through Facebook as I've never been before and have been advised to go for the boilie only approach.

I will be doing the opposite lol

It's because there's a fairly decent bream population. I'm fishing it this year during the week and will be see how a particle mix fares against boilies. It's a lovely lake and although I haven't fished it for carp before, I know it reasonably well from having completed my work experience and done some time with Boyer Leisure working on their lakes, Farlows being the main one.

It's because there's a fairly decent bream population. I'm fishing it this year during the week and will be see how a particle mix fares against boilies. It's a lovely lake and although I haven't fished it for carp before, I know it reasonably well from having completed my work experience and done some time with Boyer Leisure working on their lakes, Farlows being the main one.

It's a bit like the other thread we have commented on, if you get the other fish feeding then the carp will follow in my opinion.

If I get totally wiped out by bream and get no sleep because of it I will obviously have to change my approach.

Looking forward to fishing Farlow,got some lovely looking mirrors in there from what I've seen.

It's a bit like the other thread we have commented on, if you get the other fish feeding then the carp will follow in my opinion.

If I get totally wiped out by bream and get no sleep because of it I will obviously have to change my approach.

Looking forward to fishing Farlow,got some lovely looking mirrors in there from what I've seen.

Are you fishing in the week? If so let me know and I'll probably be fishing one of the nights and I'll stop by to say hello on my walk round.

It's definitely a venue given its make up of lots of bays, islands etc, where I'd think it pays to be mobile.

As for boilies over particle, you only have to look at Essentials facebook page to see how devestating it can be, with the guy who's had an amazing winter fishing exactly that. 6 x 40's and 13 or so over 35lbs in 12 nights.

Are you fishing in the week? If so let me know and I'll probably be fishing one of the nights and I'll stop by to say hello on my walk round.

It's definitely a venue given its make up of lots of bays, islands etc, where I'd think it pays to be mobile.

As for boilies over particle, you only have to look at Essentials facebook page to see how devestating it can be, with the guy who's had an amazing winter fishing exactly that. 6 x 40's and 13 or so over 35lbs in 12 nights.

Yeah ill be fishing from Monday the 18th April till the Thursday.

I'll have a look at that in a minute.

I'll try and go as light as possible then if the mobile approach is a good Un for there.

Hopefully it won't be too busy and I can do a bit of stalking and have a good mooch around.