Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Hi Everyone,

Fishing has never appealed to me before but for whatever reason I'm quite liking the idea of getting into it and having a new hobby.

The problem is I have no idea what I'm doing or what gear I need or where to start. My only previous experience fishing was catching mackerel while on holiday down south as a kid.

Can you please point me in the right direction for the equipment I need and costs involved.(Would be on a pretty tight budget because I now have a recent addition to the family)

I live in NW Leicestershire and would be fishing somewhat locally but don't mind a drive up to hour away for a decent spot.

Thanks for any help

Hello mate and welcome to the forum . Are you a beginner to carp fishing or fishing full stop ?

You'll get plenty of advice on here from Much more learned members than me .

In fact I'm quite looking forward to it :)

Welcome, and congrats on the baby! The first thing you should probably do is get a picture of you holding the infant and gazing at it somewhat adoringly. This is the "Euro Pose", and practicing beforehand will pay dividends when you have a good carp on the mat.

Hello FTF 

As well as telling the forum what your budget is , as Hutch suggests , I think it would help if you could describe the size of the water you intend to fish .

I'm guessing you would only be allowed to " escape " for the odd day sessions , but maybe you will get so swept up by fatherhood you won't want to go fishing ? .

Anyway you're bound to get lots of advice from everyone .

:wink:  

Another thought FTF 

If you have never fished before are you sure you want to start with Carp ? .

After a hard week at work I sometimes think it would be great just to go down to the lake and relax .

However , after an hour or so if I'm not catching anything / nothing's happening I might start to  get bored - I'm not used to just sitting there doing nothing , I can't switch off sometimes .

So if you want to keep occupied and / or you only have limited time to go fishing why not start by jigging for Perch like Stevo , or maybe float fishing with a few grains of sweetcorn ? . That way you could keep your costs down and ease into fishing without spending a fortune - you might not even enjoy fishing , shock , horror ! .

:wink:

Try float fishing with a float rod and some self cocking wagglers, the only knot you will need to tie is called a palomar knot, for the hook.
Go to a local small fisheries and try for the small carp, loads of fun
Have a look on you tube for waggler fishing videos such as this one, plumbing the depths is crucial for float fishing on the bottom of the lake bed

Try float fishing with a float rod and some self cocking wagglers, the only knot you will need to tie is called a palomar knot, for the hook.

When I started taking my boy fishing I brought a little match fishing kit to pass the time away whilst carping, I had forgotten how fiddly tying small hooks to fine nylon could be :oops:  :lol:  

When I started taking my boy fishing I brought a little match fishing kit to pass the time away whilst carping, I had forgotten how fiddly tying small hooks to fine nylon could be :oops:  :lol:  

I could probably manage a size 14 hook, i'd need to put the readers on to tie an 18 though.

Tried some floater fishing last year on a light line, couldn't get on with it, no where near as forgiving as 15lb fluro, wrapped it around the rod tip more time then i care to remember